Are claimed food allergies hocus-pocus?

William Joyce

Chemotherapy for PC
Jan 23, 2004
Caucasiastan
I think a lot of them are.

I encounter folks who say they're allergic to everything but water and brown rice. Somehow, I doubt it.

Some may be, but some aren't. I haven't found the difference between Prego, and Ragu sauces yet, but I get violently ill when I consume one, but not the other...

A family friend of mine, Jack, had TONS of food allergies. He was the type that couldn't eat practically anything. Within the last year he learned that all he has to do is eat yogurt in the morning and then he can eat whatever he wants safely for the rest of the day. Don't ask how or why because I haven't the faintest idea why. But it blew my mind because the dude is in his mid 50's and up until this year he'd never had a slice of pizza, or a lobster, or brownie, etc and but now the entire menu is wide open to him. It must be amazing to have all that new food opened up to you so late in life.

I think a lot of them are.

I encounter folks who say they're allergic to everything but water and brown rice. Somehow, I doubt it.

Not surprizing, you have little compassion or openness to others who are different than you.

A family friend of mine, Jack, had TONS of food allergies. He was the type that couldn't eat practically anything. Within the last year he learned that all he has to do is eat yogurt in the morning and then he can eat whatever he wants safely for the rest of the day. Don't ask how or why because I haven't the faintest idea why. But it blew my mind because the dude is in his mid 50's and up until this year he'd never had a slice of pizza, or a lobster, or brownie, etc and but now the entire menu is wide open to him. It must be amazing to have all that new food opened up to you so late in life.

If all that from yogurt, he's lucky. Healthy bacteria=probiotics:

An Introduction to Probiotics [NCCAM Health Information]

Not surprizing, you have little compassion or openness to others who are different than you.

What does your post have to do with anything? Lots of people are pansy-assed whiners, and all to quick to diagnose some medical phenomenon, rather than just manning the fuck up and dealing.

What does your post have to do with anything? Lots of people are pansy-assed whiners, and all to quick to diagnose some medical phenomenon, rather than just manning the fuck up and dealing.

Have you ever met someone with irritable bowl syndrome?

What you are saying has been said about nearly every medical condition before we fully understood it.

Its a sign of inability to trust and respect your fellow man and their pain and blight.

My dog (avatar) has extreme allergies. We have spent a small fortune with vets trying to solve his allergies. Yogurt, cranberry pills and supplements are the most helpful for him. No regular dog food.

I guess some would think he is just faking it for attention.

Do you feed him boiled chicken and rice?

Trader Joes has some alternate dog food choices.

He is a beautiful boy.

My dog (avatar) has extreme allergies. We have spent a small fortune with vets trying to solve his allergies. Yogurt, cranberry pills and supplements are the most helpful for him. No regular dog food.

What a gorgeous dog! Actually sounds like a pretty yummy diet!

I guess some would think he is just faking it for attention.

Do you feed him boiled chicken and rice?

Trader Joes has some alternate dog food choices.

He is a beautiful boy.
Actually he gets a pound of cook fresh meat of whatever is availble at the moment, 3 cups of oatmeal, can of carrots, can of green beans for a dinner meal. During the day whatever we may have available, eggs, jerky, cookies, etc.... Right now he is eating deer meat. Normally turkey or chicken is the most reasonable.

He is just under two hundred pounds so we try to find the most affordable way to feed him as we can.

Thank you yes he is beautiful inside and out.

Last edited:
:eusa_whistle:Great Pyrenees. He was born at my daughter house. Stepped on by his mom when about an hour after he was born, last pup alive from that litter:( I am hoping he will be with us as long as our chow was (17 years).

Food allergies are definitely for real, but most people who have them can build an immunity, only a very small percentage can be deadly. What is on the rise is people confusing food allergies for reactions to hormones and chemicals. For example, I can no longer eat commercially raised chicken. I'm not allergic to chicken, I just can't deal with the hormones they are pumped full of, which sucks because free range chicken costs a lot more than a Tyson chicken. On the plus side, I can tell if a manufacturer is lying about not using hormones, because I'll break out in a rash within 2 minutes. You would be surprised how many chicken farms lie about being hormone free.

I don't have any and don't know anyone who does. It does seem a little bit silly but I guess it could be true. If it's true that people are really allergic to certain foods I wonder how that happens. It seems like you should be able to build up an immunity to the effects.

Do I think that someone could have food allergies so bad that all they can have is brown rice and water?... Yes. When I was an baby I couldn't even handle rice cereal. I broke out in hives (something that's not possible to 'fake') with in an hour of having it the first time. Dr's told my mom it couldn't be the rice. My mom didn't follow her gut feeling and followed their orders to continue. I got worse each day. Thankfully my mom finally wised up and cut the rice out. I got better over a few days. For the first 4 yrs of my life I could only eat 7 different foods (goats milk, bananas, and peas are the only ones I can remember). I still don't eat bananas. I think I had over kill as a child. As I got older my body has changed and the things I'm allergic to have changed. Thankfully most went away.

Last edited:
Nah, my son is extremely allergic to seafood. So much so he can't even clean or hold onto catches when we are deep sea fishing. He tried cleaning some blue crabs one day for me. His hands got so swoolen he could not close his fingers.
I had a shrimp urge when I was pg with him ate a whole box at one sitting. Feel a bit guilty about that now knowing he can't eat any seafood.

Nah, my son is extremely allergic to seafood. So much so he can't even clean or hold onto catches when we are deep sea fishing. He tried cleaning some blue crabs one day for me. His hands got so swoolen he could not close his fingers.
I had a shrimp urge when I was pg with him ate a whole box at one sitting. Feel a bit guilty about that now knowing he can't eat any seafood.

hmmm have you spoken to a doctor about this? having seafood causing the babies allergy...i think there is more mother's guilt to that..than scientific knowing....

my cuz was port with a severe port wine stain birthmark on his face....his mother claimed till the day she died that it was because she had slapped her husband while preggies...

maybe you should give that guilt its own little wagon and set it free...

Forum List

Back