Kitty rescue stories....

Since it's the weekend of Halloween, I thought a black kitty story would be nice. :)

Unexpected Surprise!

Kitten%20found%20on%20sidewalk-1.jpg

The dog saw it first. A plastic laundry basket, with blankets in it, sitting by a light post. Curious, the dog’s owner went over to look. Why would there be a laundry basket on the street? She had walked this way before many times and certainly had not seen anything like this. She moved some of the blankets and was surprised to see them continue to move when she let go. A little black kitten poked her head out, bright eyed and curious as to who had disturbed her rest! A little bowl of food was nestled in the blanket folds.

Kitten%20found%20on%20sidewalk-2.jpg

Shocked, the woman quickly picked up the basket and walked it, and its mewing contents, back home. She picked up the phone and called the Center, where she told us of her surprising find on her walk. She could not keep the kitten. Would the Center have resources to help?

Kitten%20found%20on%20sidewalk-3.jpg

We put the call out to our foster family network and a foster volunteer stepped forward for this little orphan kitten. Since this little kitten surprised its finder so much, we named him “Trick” and sent him off to his new foster home to get bigger and stronger.

Kitten%20found%20on%20sidewalk-4.jpg

After a couple of weeks, Trick returned to the Center and began his forever home journey. We knew this“Trick” would certainly be a “treat” to any family looking to adopt a kitten! And we were right! After only a couple days in the Kittery, Trick was scooped up by a loving family and taken to his forever family.

A little ginger kitty was spotted at a gas station. This is him cuddling with the person who saved him. “I’m so glad we rescued him. He sure shows his appreciation,” kitty’s human wrote via reddit.
“We found him at a gas station so we took him vet and cleaned him up. I have never had a cat that likes to cuddle.”

“It really means a lot that he trusts me.”

“I’m really grateful for this kitten and so is he.”

5122917849_56ff4f9db9_z.jpg

Zoraline, a very pregnant Bengle cat mama was found by a shelter in San Francisco. At the time she had an injured left leg which made it difficult for her to bend down.

Later she gave birth to a litter of kittens, but only one survived. The shelter did not have enough room for the mother and son, and they were in danger of being put down, so many people started looking for foster parents who could take them in.

Kimberly Jennery who has been a foster mother for many years received a phone call about Zoraline and Ziggy. “I went to San Mateo to pick them up… After waiting for a long time for them to microchip her, and move her and the one surviving baby into a box, I brought them home. She was listed as a stray,” said Kimberly.

Ziggy is a bundle of joy. After his eyes opened up, he couldn’t wait to start venturing around the house. Zoraline was a sweet cat mama who did a great job looking after her baby. By day 3, Zoraline was comfortable enough in her new foster home to let Kimberly handle her baby Ziggy.

5123520854_9556fe1ba1_z.jpg

Mama Zoraline was not producing enough milk, so Kimberly stepped in to help. “Ziggy was losing weight and getting dehydrated, so I started supplementing.” After that, Ziggy was thriving and growing like a champ.

Both Zoraline and Ziggy love to play and are always looking for things to play with whether it is a roll of toilet paper, foster parent’s feet or anything they could turn into a toy. When Kimberly brought back a black little orphaned kitten, Rocky, Ziggy immediately took to her and even offered to wash her. Though sometimes he tried to wrestle with his foster sister, Ziggy always kept an eye on Rocky and made sure that she was ok. “Ziggy couldn’t wait for Rocky to get just a little more mobile and bigger. Rocky purred like crazy even when Ziggy was a little rough with (her).”

Little Ziggy and Zoraline have found their forever loving homes and are having a blast with their new life.

5122917821_1ca2a582f4.jpg

Ziggy when he was a wee baby :)

5122917925_e4259cb0fc_z.jpg

Ziggy’s big round eyes

5122917991_11e91016d7_z.jpg

5123520730_c9f707c092_z.jpg

Mama Zoraline checking on the little baby

5122917975_8ca1357d80_z.jpg

Mama watching Ziggy attentively while he was getting his bottle

5123520774_5d79f30c9c_z.jpg

Ziggy is getting bigger than a handful now

5122918071_6e5f9613bb_z.jpg

Surprised Ziggy

5123061119_ec36dbb56d.jpg

“Rocky, you’ve got a flavor! Nom!”

5123520930_563efb8047_z.jpg

Ziggy playing with his foster brother Rocky

5122918057_201b2c9549_z.jpg

Sweepy baby

These tiny orphan kittens from the Arizona Humane Society now have a dog nanny, Boots, a 12-year-old Chow/Golden Retriever mix and Hurricane Katrina survivor.
Boots is helping the motherless kittens in the nursery, giving them all the love and TLC a mother would.

These adorable kittens are between five and eight weeks old.

“By socializing kittens with dogs like Boots early in life, we are able to open up an entirely new world of potential home environments to that kitten,” the shelter wrote on their blog.

Little cream baby climbs on Boots’ back for a snuggle.

“Are you our mama now?”

Boots teaches the kittens how to socialize and helps them get adopted.

The kitties adore him.

Boots and one of his very cuddly babies.

These tiny orphan kittens from the Arizona Humane Society now have a dog nanny, Boots, a 12-year-old Chow/Golden Retriever mix and Hurricane Katrina survivor.
Boots is helping the motherless kittens in the nursery, giving them all the love and TLC a mother would.

These adorable kittens are between five and eight weeks old.

“By socializing kittens with dogs like Boots early in life, we are able to open up an entirely new world of potential home environments to that kitten,” the shelter wrote on their blog.

Little cream baby climbs on Boots’ back for a snuggle.

“Are you our mama now?”

Boots teaches the kittens how to socialize and helps them get adopted.

The kitties adore him.

Boots and one of his very cuddly babies.

Aww, that's one of the cutest ones yet! :)

Meet Mars. She was just 2-3 weeks old when they took her home. See how much she’s grown!
Meet Mars. First day home. She was about 2-3 weeks old.

Ready to get cleaned up!

She loves her human.

She got bigger and fluffier.

“Are you sure you have to leave?”

Then and now. What a difference!

Meet Nibble Bug. She was about 2-4 weeks old when she was found. “I found her in front of a Winn Dixie in a box,” said Nibble Bug’s rescuer via reddit.
“I have no idea what happened to her mommy, and I found her in a box by herself. It was a hot day and I didn’t have the heart to leave her, so I brought her home. For awhile I thought she was blind, seeing as she would just run into the wall and only come when she hears loud noises. But I’m proud to announce, she can see wonderfully! She just came off her formula and she’s been eating Kitten Wet Food. Super playful.”
Nibble Bug the rescue found her way into a new home and a comfy slipper.

She loves sitting on her human’s foot.

Nibble Bug was so happy to be accepted by one of their cats.

5001353290_5938ae501e_o.jpg

Written by ©Caroline Hagedorn (Meatie’s photo set)

5001353312_1b990888a4_z.jpg

Meatie and his big paw | photo by ©Caroline Hagedorn

I have had cats all through my life, but this is the first time I have ever become involved with a feral cat. I could not bear to watch this big beautiful animal fall victim to a life of starvation, disease and homelessness in my neighborhoods. I have shed many tears over the plight of this cat.

I have four indoor/outdoor neutered/spayed, inoculated cats and try to discourage strays and ferals from invading their safe-zone, but when I saw Meatie (named Meathead for his huge tomcat head) and his tiny black companion, Teeny, my attitude changed. I spotted this large yellow tom looking quite fierce and fearful while foraging for food in my back yard in mid summer of 2007. The little companion was never far from the big guy. I could see neither were healthy, and both looked like older animals. Meatie was the heartier of the two.

I decided to put food out behind my back fence to feed them and to try to keep them out of my yard. The sight of me or any human would cause both to disappear, so I was content to put the food out and assume they got it. This went on daily. Eventually the two would come up and sit on my front steps, but still did not want to get close to me. Meatie would hiss and growl, and he was quite scary! It was a surprise to open my front door one morning and find them sleeping together on my door mat. Soon they were finding the chairs on my front porch accommodating, but still no human touch. All the while, the front porch had to be off limits to my other cats. Eventually these two did not go in the back yard anymore.

When the cold weather set in I put blanket-lined boxes out for both of them underneath the chairs and covered the chairs with sleeping bags and waterproof material so they could have shelter in the cold. I didn’t know if they would use them or not. Sadly, those two cats were in the boxes every night. My heart nearly broke when I realized they had absolutely no where to go. In the bitter cold, they even stayed in the boxes all day. I fed them as much as they would eat, hoping good nourishment would help them keep warm and boost their immune systems.

5001353330_2d2ab4b6e3_o.jpg

Meatie's apartment | photo by ©Caroline Hagedorn

Although they both made it through the winter, Teeny passed away in the spring, succumbing to the upper respiratory infection he had ever since I first saw him. I buried him in the garden. Meatie still had a persistent sneeze and cough too, in addition to several other problems I could see. I was so afraid Meatie would also lose his battle.

Not being able to get meds from a vet because I couldn’t get him in to the office, I turned to a local wildlife rehabilitator who gave me a small quantity of antibiotic pills to help with his persistent, painful conjunctivitis, mouth ulcers and respiratory infection (probably Calicivirus, she said). But I knew I could never get pills down him and they would be useless if I could not complete the whole cycle. I spent hours trying to diagnose Meatie’s ailments on the Internet and looking for possible medications I thought might help. I called several shelters trying to figure out how I could sedate him to trap him and get him to a vet. I couldn’t get anyone to help me. I needed help. No person could handle him unless he was sedated, even then I would need another person. His eyes got so bad he could barely open them. Some kind people who work at a no-kill shelter hundreds of miles away answered my pleas for help and guidance and sent me an antibiotic powder to sprinkle on his food or put in his water. It turned him around. The pink eye and mouth ulcers cleared up. The sneeze and cough gradually went away. He got MUCH better.

5000752409_e779aa9c01_o.jpg

Meatie & Caroline | photo by ©Caroline Hagedorn

A full year after feeding him 2-3 times a day, Meatie allowed me to touch his head for the first time. I wish I could say “and the rest is history,” but it’s not, and I don’t think it ever will be. This cat will always have a fear of humans and I still fear him despite the fact I am now able to pick him up and carry him (sometimes). I would never attempt to corral him against his will because he has hurt me quite badly too many times, despite the fact that he only has one tooth in his head. He has a vicious paw strike capability, and those deep scratches hurt for days.

After about a year and a half, Meatie got to the point of climbing onto my lap if I sat on the ground and put my legs straight out. He loved that, and I could pet him, but one false move by me and I was ripped to shreds again.

My joy has been based on the small milestones in earning Meatie’s trust and affection and seeing Meatie’s overall health improve. One time I saw him crossing the street and when I called his name he returned to the front porch. That was amazing. He knows his name now and waits for me to come home from work. He also greets me on my lunch break.

I know he will never be 100% healthy, but I’m taking care of him no matter what. I will cope with each problem as it arises the best way I can. It is not easy, and not for the squeamish.

5000752417_d9a1353863_o.jpg

Meatie sitting on the lap | photo by ©Caroline Hagedorn

Why have I undertaken this responsibility? Because as a human being I feel partly responsible for the predicament of this animal. If he had been neutered, and had a home with care and inoculations, I feel he would be a beautiful, healthy, loving pet. This poor cat has suffered terribly with his mouth problems and with the general health problems he has and continues to have. He is a domestic animal, at least 10 years old, who has been abandoned, neglected and/or abused by people.

The front porch is his kingdom. He has a safe warm place there. He absolutely does not like to be in the house.

The second & third winters I enclosed half of the porch to provide him with a warm, dry shelter over the winter. It works out very well. He loves his “apartment;” it has a cat door. I spend time with him every single day, at least twice a day, sometimes napping with him on his favorite cot in the “apartment.” He jumps up there with me and plops down on my head, purring like a giant lawnmower. He rubs his big fat cheeks on my face and makes little sounds to show his appreciation and affection for me. To me that makes it all worthwhile.

I guess the rest IS history; till death do us part, Meatie.

5005217760_46c77f930c_o.jpg

Stretchhhhhhh | photo by ©Caroline Hagedorn

5004606585_8270f05f01_o.jpg

5004606603_f47261c145_o.jpg

5005217844_f726143fb7_o.jpg

5005217828_089040f5ba_o.jpg

5004606621_9d2bea0ddd_o.jpg

5004606685_924c36b02d_o.jpg

"shhhh... do not disturb!" | photo by ©Caroline Hagedorn

5005217876_486bc2e913_o.jpg

From Fear to Trust Story of Meatie the Feral Cat - Love Meow

When Robyn Arouty, a Houston-based photographer found out that this Yorkshire terrier and two kittens had been abandoned in a neighbor’s yard, she knew she had to save them.
A Yorkshire terrier mama and two kittens were found in a neighbor’s yard.

by Robyn Arouty
“She recently had puppies…& now she was nursing two small kittens.”

by Robyn Arouty
“Caring for them as if they were her own.”

by Robyn Arouty
“Protecting them and teaching them.”

by Robyn Arouty
“Compassionate and loving. And doing all the motherly things.”

by Robyn Arouty
Mama Yorkie & the kittens have been taken in by Buster’s Friends Rescue.

by Robyn Arouty
The kittens love their mama. Let’s hope they find a forever loving home soon.

by Robyn Arouty

A little bull calf became the ‘mom’ for a litter of farm kittens. He grooms the little kitties and snuggles up to them at night.
They found a litter of kittens at the farm, and soon the little ones were adopted by an unusual ‘mom’.

A bull calf fell in love with the kittens. “He licks them (that’s why they’re wet in this pic) and snuggles up to them at night. Not sure what he thinks of them but I think he likes them.” (reddit)

A tiny kitten was spotted by the trash can all by herself. The rescuers from Good Karma Pet Rescue took her in and now she’s safe and sound at her foster home with a full belly.
“Cute as all get out. Probably 4 or 5 weeks old. She used the litter box immediately! Smart baby. More updates and photos later,” said Nicole of Good Karma Pet Rescue.
A tiny kitten was spotted by the trash can all by herself.

The rescuers from Good Karma Pet Rescue took her in and now she’s safe and sound at her foster home with a full belly.

Now all she needs is a forever loving home.

A tiny four-month-old ginger kitten was found in near freezing temperature by rescuers from the Denver Dumb Friends League. The kitten was so cold that her temperature did not even register on a thermometer, but the rescuers refused to let her go.
“You could sort of feel the cold coming off her,” said Dr. Kasey Carter, veterinarian who treated the kitten. (abc News)
When they brought in the tabby kitten, she was unresponsive. Staff members used hair dyers to warm the kitten’s fur, heating pads with mittens to keep her body and paws warm, a bear hugger which has a tube that blows in warm air to wrap her in, and even injected her with warm IV fluids.
“When she came into the shelter, we weren’t even sure if she was alive,” said Megan Rees of the Denver Dumb Friends League, but the kitten is a little fighter.
They named the kitten Elsa after the Disney character from Frozen for her “fighting, little spirit.”
Elsa is doing a lot better now. “We put some food in front of her and she immediately went for it, a little ravenous,” said Carter.

Meet Elsa the ginger kitten who was found in near freezing temperature. She was so cold that her temperature did not even register on a thermometer, but the rescuers refused to let her go.

Staff members used hair dyers to warm the kitten’s fur, heating pads with mittens to keep her body and paws warm, a bear hugger to wrap her in, and even injected her with warm IV fluids.

They named her Elsa after the Disney character because of her “fighting, little spirit.”

Elsa is doing a lot better now thanks to the rescuers.

A tiny four-month-old ginger kitten was found in near freezing temperature by rescuers from the Denver Dumb Friends League. The kitten was so cold that her temperature did not even register on a thermometer, but the rescuers refused to let her go.
“You could sort of feel the cold coming off her,” said Dr. Kasey Carter, veterinarian who treated the kitten. (abc News)
When they brought in the tabby kitten, she was unresponsive. Staff members used hair dyers to warm the kitten’s fur, heating pads with mittens to keep her body and paws warm, a bear hugger which has a tube that blows in warm air to wrap her in, and even injected her with warm IV fluids.
“When she came into the shelter, we weren’t even sure if she was alive,” said Megan Rees of the Denver Dumb Friends League, but the kitten is a little fighter.
They named the kitten Elsa after the Disney character from Frozen for her “fighting, little spirit.”
Elsa is doing a lot better now. “We put some food in front of her and she immediately went for it, a little ravenous,” said Carter.

Meet Elsa the ginger kitten who was found in near freezing temperature. She was so cold that her temperature did not even register on a thermometer, but the rescuers refused to let her go.

Staff members used hair dyers to warm the kitten’s fur, heating pads with mittens to keep her body and paws warm, a bear hugger to wrap her in, and even injected her with warm IV fluids.

They named her Elsa after the Disney character because of her “fighting, little spirit.”

Elsa is doing a lot better now thanks to the rescuers.
I saw this article. I wish I had more space. When I lived in a large house, I fostered kitties, but now, I have space only for those I already have. I do feed the ferals...fresh milk every evening and as much dry kibble as they can eat. I have adopted several feral kittens over the years, too.
I feel so sorry for kitties who are treated so badly. How could anyone claiming to be human do such evil to such helpless creatures?

They found a tiny stray. “We took in this beautiful stray last night, the difference a day can make is unbelievable.” (via reddit)
The night of the rescue

“Minutes after bringing her in from outside. She was scared, hungry, and cold.”

The little one was in need of a lot of TLC.

The next morning

Happy to be cuddling with her human.

Happy to have a place called home.

They found a tiny stray. “We took in this beautiful stray last night, the difference a day can make is unbelievable.” (via reddit)
The night of the rescue

“Minutes after bringing her in from outside. She was scared, hungry, and cold.”

The little one was in need of a lot of TLC.

The next morning

Happy to be cuddling with her human.

Happy to have a place called home.

Awww, *sniff* what a sweet little kitty! :)

Meet Starla, a tiny bitty kitten who was found with a badly injured leg. As soon as they took her into the Saving Grace Rescue in San Francisco, she started purring and cuddling with rescuers. “She is already gaining weight and enjoying cuddles here at SGR,” said the rescue group via Facebook.
The little lovebug is healing very well. “Starla had radiographs today to look at her injuries… Amazingly, she is… doing much better this week, playing and even running in short bursts.”
Meet Starla, a tiny bitty kitten found with a badly injured leg by the Saving Grace Rescue.

As soon as she came to the shelter, she started cuddling with the rescuers.

Starla hugging her first mouse toy.

Starla is healing well. Look at that face!

Amazingly, she is doing much better this week, playing and even running in short bursts.

Follow Starla’s progress at Saving Grace Rescue.

A tiny tuxedo boy with extra toes has quite a journey. Meet Batman!
Helen R. wrote on flickr: “It was the strangest kitten-selection experience ever… We rendezvoused with a total stranger at 11pm in a Kroger parking lot … on a Thursday night. (long story) Getting off the interstate after driving an hour, and trying to spot the right car in the parking lot, it felt like we were involved in some sort of illegal baby trafficking exchange.. but once we were there it felt perfectly normal. The ad said ‘polydactyl kittens’, and from the cellphone snaps I saw of them, I planned to come home with one of the gorgeous fluffy gray-and-white ones. Instead I came home with this little guy. He was the runt, and rejected by his mom (bottle-fed by a wonderful caregiver). Only his front paws are polydactyl, but he has two cute two-clawed ‘thumbs’.”
“On the way to the vet on Saturday we decided if it was a boy he would be called ‘Batman’… He is just the bestest boy. we’ve just been fostering kittens, and he protects them like they were his own,” said Helen.
Then

Now

Harry is a very special cat because 99.96% of tortoiseshell cats are female and Harry is a boy.
“It’s very rare to get a male,” said Nicola Zelent of Lothian Cat Rescue in Bonnyrigg, Midlothian Scotland. “He’s the first tortie boy we’ve had at LCR in our 35 year history, and he is the first of his kind which our vets have seen too!”
“Harry is 12 weeks old and came to us when his previous owners suffered an extreme allergic reaction to the wee one. He arrived with his brother Dennis (a black and white cutie) a few days ago and is settling in well. He displays all the tortie-tude you’d expect from one with his colouring.”
The vet who identified Harry’s gender never came across a male tortoiseshell prior to Harry in her more than 30 year career. “When I heard the cat called Harry, I said to the owners, ‘I think that might have to be a Harriet.’
“I had to change my words when I discovered it was male. I’ve never seen one before and I’ve been a vet for more than 30 years.”
“If it is male, they’re normally hermaphrodite. Harry shouldn’t be fertile, but there’s no way to know for another 12 weeks,” said Zelent.
Harry will be neutered and rehomed when he is old enough.
“Male cats, like male humans, have only one X chromosome in their DNA, as opposed to females who have two. A cat’s colouring is inherited through the X chromosome, so it should be technically impossible for male cats to inherit the mix of hues necessary to produce a tortoiseshell coat.
But male tortoiseshells can be born through a genetic mutation that causes the cat to be born with two X chromosomes and one Y chromosome (XXY).” (Edinburgh News)
99.96% of tortoiseshell cats are female and Harry is a boy.
1002532_859632817410910_2405163109458418176_n.jpg

The 12-week-old kitten came into Lothian Cat Rescue after his owners discovered they were allergic to his fur.
Harry-the-cat-3.jpg

“He’s the first tortie boy we’ve had at LCR in our 35 year history, and he is the first of his kind which our vets have seen too!”
2957069818.jpg

Forum List

Back