Kitty rescue stories....

Meet Rodi the orphan kitten. She was found under a building all alone and starving. “I brought her home in a little box (approx. 2 weeks old). She’s been a trooper and has grown into a bouncy little kitten,” said misstabo via imgur.
Rodi was found under a building starving and alone. This was right after they brought her home.
OcMWZg4.jpg

Baby Rodi cuddling with her human after her bottle.
SF6tvku.jpg

“She’s been a trooper and has grown into a bouncy little kitten.”
SfYMwg5.jpg

Rodi at 5 weeks. Happy and loved.
RfyRv8a.jpg

Meet Rodi the orphan kitten. She was found under a building all alone and starving. “I brought her home in a little box (approx. 2 weeks old). She’s been a trooper and has grown into a bouncy little kitten,” said misstabo via imgur.
Rodi was found under a building starving and alone. This was right after they brought her home.
OcMWZg4.jpg

Baby Rodi cuddling with her human after her bottle.
SF6tvku.jpg

“She’s been a trooper and has grown into a bouncy little kitten.”
SfYMwg5.jpg

Rodi at 5 weeks. Happy and loved.
RfyRv8a.jpg

Oh, what a cute little kitten! :)

Meet Koda the kitten. They rescued him from some bushes about a month ago. When he came to his new home, he met Keelo the Golden Retriever.
No one knew if they would get along as brothers, but this cute duo totally proved everyone wrong.
They have been attached to each other, since the day they met.

They snuggle up to each other for a quick nap.

Koda loves cuddling with Keelo

Wherever Keelo is, Koda follows.

He doesn’t get too far away from his big buddy.

Family comes in all shapes and sizes.

This cute fluffy duo are brothers for life.

Harry is a very special cat because 99.96% of tortoiseshell cats are female and Harry is a boy.
“It’s very rare to get a male,” said Nicola Zelent of Lothian Cat Rescue in Bonnyrigg, Midlothian Scotland. “He’s the first tortie boy we’ve had at LCR in our 35 year history, and he is the first of his kind which our vets have seen too!”
“Harry is 12 weeks old and came to us when his previous owners suffered an extreme allergic reaction to the wee one. He arrived with his brother Dennis (a black and white cutie) a few days ago and is settling in well. He displays all the tortie-tude you’d expect from one with his colouring.”
The vet who identified Harry’s gender never came across a male tortoiseshell prior to Harry in her more than 30 year career. “When I heard the cat called Harry, I said to the owners, ‘I think that might have to be a Harriet.’
“I had to change my words when I discovered it was male. I’ve never seen one before and I’ve been a vet for more than 30 years.”
“If it is male, they’re normally hermaphrodite. Harry shouldn’t be fertile, but there’s no way to know for another 12 weeks,” said Zelent.
Harry will be neutered and rehomed when he is old enough.
“Male cats, like male humans, have only one X chromosome in their DNA, as opposed to females who have two. A cat’s colouring is inherited through the X chromosome, so it should be technically impossible for male cats to inherit the mix of hues necessary to produce a tortoiseshell coat.
But male tortoiseshells can be born through a genetic mutation that causes the cat to be born with two X chromosomes and one Y chromosome (XXY).” (Edinburgh News)
99.96% of tortoiseshell cats are female and Harry is a boy.
1002532_859632817410910_2405163109458418176_n.jpg

The 12-week-old kitten came into Lothian Cat Rescue after his owners discovered they were allergic to his fur.
Harry-the-cat-3.jpg

“He’s the first tortie boy we’ve had at LCR in our 35 year history, and he is the first of his kind which our vets have seen too!”
2957069818.jpg
Harry is most likely sterile, as most tortie males are. But he is extremely rare and most likely has the XXY chromosome.

A tiny ginger kitten was abandoned at a Petsmart. An employee came to the rescue. “I work at petsmart and some guy today brought in a kitten and dumped it on us. I bought formula and a bottle for him and took him home to keep. Everyone meet Sherlock!” (via reddit)
They fed him kitten food and took him to the vet the next day. “Sherlock got a clean bill of health from the vet! We start his first round of kitten shots in the next few weeks!”
Meet Sherlock the kitten who was abandoned at a Petsmart, but saved by an employee there.

“I bought formula and a bottle for it and took it home to keep,” the employee said.

They took him to the vet and he got a clean bill of health.

Sherlock snuggling with his human who gave him a second chance at life.

A tiny orphan kitten strayed into a man’s life. They became family.
“This guy was delivered to me starved and covered in fleas a year and a half ago. Now he’s family,” said his human dad.
“His name is Walker. He’s a rescue I took off the streets in downtown LA… No mom, no siblings. About 4 weeks old, and covered in dirt and fleas. I nursed the little guy to health and cared for him until he was confirmed parasite free.”
“His progress… has been amazing. It was touch and go for a while (we weren’t sure he was gonna make it since he was so undernourished and fragile). But he pulled through with some help from a few friends with experience in saving stray cats, and a great vet.”
“This guy was delivered to me starved and covered in fleas a year and a half ago. Now he’s family.”

“Two baths and some formula and this little guy is off the streets and in my bed.”

Cuddling with his human dad.

What’s up little guy?

He grew bigger!

“We’re still in love.”

A few weeks ago, they rescued a feral kitten. See her amazing transformation!
“We’ve been catching up and fixing a colony in our neighborhood for a while now. Most of the cats are under the impression that they belong to us now, and so we’re in the possession of ten cats that live outside our house. We’ve kept a couple for inside kitties over the years and they have made the most excellent cats. Little Bou had a URI so bad her eyes were glued shut for most of her life and she’s half the size she should be at her age. Bless her heart! She’s already got me wrapped around her little claw now though,” Bou’s rescuer wrote via reddit.
“We’ve done TNR for the rest of the colony, but this little one is feral no more
icon_smile.gif
still shy, but working on her social lapcat skills,” she added.
First day home. Bou was very shy. “This was just a few minutes after I hauled her little feral butt inside. She hid behind the toilet and wouldn’t let me get any closer.”

To the vet! “A few weeks later, she’s on her way to her first vet visit. Turns out she has both FIV and ringworm.”

After her ringworm bath. “Still purring. Although she did try to take my arm off during the process.”

All cleaned up!

Cuddling with her rescuer. “Thank you for saving me…”

A very pregnant cat was saved just in time from the streets and cold. The next day, she gave birth to a litter of five very tiny babies.
“This rescue was picked up from the streets of Philadelphia just yesterday and tonight gave birth to 5 baby kittens,” Animal Alliance of New Jersey wrote on Facebook.

She was saved from the streets and cold of Philadelphia. The day after the rescue, she gave birth to a litter of five.

A very pregnant cat was saved just in time from the streets and cold. The next day, she gave birth to a litter of five very tiny babies.
“This rescue was picked up from the streets of Philadelphia just yesterday and tonight gave birth to 5 baby kittens,” Animal Alliance of New Jersey wrote on Facebook.

She was saved from the streets and cold of Philadelphia. The day after the rescue, she gave birth to a litter of five.

:) Soo adorable!!! I hope they can find homes for all the babies!

A stray cat found her way into two local libraries in Dorr Township, Michigan. When Natalie Bazan’s mother was taking a walk through one of the parks in the city, she was greeted by a feline friend. “…she heard a meowing up in the tree and down comes Sasha,” said Natalie, the Director of the Hopkins District and Dorr Township Libraries. (News Channel 3)
“My mom called me up and said ‘Hey, can you do something with this kitten?’ She became our library cat,” she said.
“People love coming in and playing with her. They’ve brought toys, they’ve bought food, treats, all kinds of stuff. It’s just wonderful.”
Sasha the 8 month old Japanese Bobtail cat has traveled between the two libraries every day for a couple months. She enjoys greeting readers, walking around the libraries, and napping on bookshelves.
“We’re hoping to use her to draw attention to the Humane Society. We’re looking to do a Humane Society drive for this Christmas season. And we’re asking people to bring in donations, because she was a homeless cat,” Bazan added.
“It brings people in that won’t necessarily usually come to the library. They like to come in search her out and play with her. They get used to coming in and then they can use our resources and realize what we have here. She’s a gateway to the library,” Bazan told to News Channel 3.

Meet Sasha, a stray cat, who found her new home at two libraries.

She was discovered in a park. They brought her in and gave her a home at the libraries.

Sasha the 8 month old Japanese Bobtail cat enjoys greeting readers, walking around the libraries, and napping on bookshelves.

A stray cat found her way into two local libraries in Dorr Township, Michigan. When Natalie Bazan’s mother was taking a walk through one of the parks in the city, she was greeted by a feline friend. “…she heard a meowing up in the tree and down comes Sasha,” said Natalie, the Director of the Hopkins District and Dorr Township Libraries. (News Channel 3)
“My mom called me up and said ‘Hey, can you do something with this kitten?’ She became our library cat,” she said.
“People love coming in and playing with her. They’ve brought toys, they’ve bought food, treats, all kinds of stuff. It’s just wonderful.”
Sasha the 8 month old Japanese Bobtail cat has traveled between the two libraries every day for a couple months. She enjoys greeting readers, walking around the libraries, and napping on bookshelves.
“We’re hoping to use her to draw attention to the Humane Society. We’re looking to do a Humane Society drive for this Christmas season. And we’re asking people to bring in donations, because she was a homeless cat,” Bazan added.
“It brings people in that won’t necessarily usually come to the library. They like to come in search her out and play with her. They get used to coming in and then they can use our resources and realize what we have here. She’s a gateway to the library,” Bazan told to News Channel 3.

Meet Sasha, a stray cat, who found her new home at two libraries.

She was discovered in a park. They brought her in and gave her a home at the libraries.

Sasha the 8 month old Japanese Bobtail cat enjoys greeting readers, walking around the libraries, and napping on bookshelves.

I love her little scarf! :biggrin:

OK: my own "saved a cat" story. This occurred a number of years ago and I am a bit unsure of exactly when, but it was after 2006, so may have been 2007/8. No later than that. There was a white cat hanging around Mum's place in Surfers Paradise even though Mum had moved down to Melbourne, Victoria.Mum'd had a stroke not long before Dad died and decided to move in with my sister. They bought a house 50/50 so it was mutually agreeable. I'd taken the dog, a Sydney Silkie, home to Toowoomba so it was all done and dusted. But there was a cat..pure white and possibly albino..pink eyes and all. Now mum and dad HATED cats....and it rubbed off on the rest of us. Where it came from and who it belonged to was a mystery but we found out that the owner had been evicted from some units a block away and the cat survived by eating the dog's tucker. Kitty was homeless!! No dog and of course the cat was in real strife.
I told mum about it and she surprised me. She wanted the cat. Dutiful son went down with a cat travel cage and kitty came to me as if she was a long lost family member...OK; the tucker in the bowl helped. She was quite happy to go into the cage and it was a trip to the airport for a two hour flight to Melbourne. It was there at Mum's place withing four hours after a two hour flight....about 1000 miles. The cat has ruled Mum's other pets...three dogs and a parrot, ever since. The dogs actually sit in the corner of the room looking at the walls while the cat is in the house.

Stupid dogs.

Greg

Meet Aragorn, a beautiful one-eyed cat who has a permanent wink. He lost an eye but gained a chance to live.
“He was brought to the ER for euthanasia at 3 weeks old after being attacked by a dog with his eye hanging out,” said Aragorn’s human mom via imgur. When she met the little ginger boy, she knew she had to adopt him.
This is Aragorn cuddling with his human mom in his new home.

He loves following her around the house.

Aragorn jumps in the bathtub after his mom showers.

“Are you taking me with you?”

“I only have one eye, but I can see just fine and I am happy and loved.”
rO7rq70.jpg

I would have named him Polyphemus! :)

I had a wonderful one-eyed cat I called Wink. He had been hit by a car late at night, his eye was completely enucleated and crushed. He had been taken to my vet who called me because I was the executor of an estate that paid for pet bills. Because funds were getting slim, I authorized him to be pts but the vet called me back to tell me there was something special about the kitten's behavior and attitude. We struck a deal whereby the vet worked for free and I split the rest of the ^$1000 bill with the vet's office. The vet also said that since he had taken the last stray and another vet at the same office had taken the one before that, they "voted" that I should take this one. What the heck, I said. Sure, I'll foster him.

Then I fell in love with him. I could write a book about his behavior but suffice it to say, he really was special. He was just an ordinary looking grey tabby alley cat but nothing else about him was ordinary.

One example was that when he had to take medication, I actually taught him to take his pills. I put him on the kitchen counter and talked to him about why he had to take the pill while I gently pushed it into the corner of his mouth. After doing that twice, it became part of his evening meal to first jump up on the counter to take his pill.

I also had taken in a brain injured baby pigeon I called Walter. (Yeah, I know, probably everyone names their pigeon Walter.) Wink and Walter would sit on my desk, playing and wrestling, very rough and tumble. And, of all things, pushing pens back and forth. Walter either loved or hated yellow pens and would push them off onto the floor. I would pick them up and Wink would push them over to Walter who would again push them off onto the floor. Walter was always interested in Wink's eye and would push and peck at the where the other should have been. Wink would tire of that game quickly and would pin Walter down and put his mouth around Walter's head. Then they would go back to playing and wrestling. Eventually, the swelling in Walter's brain shrunk and he behaved more normally so, after some time for him to get used to where he was, I would let him out to fly. I would go out to the yard and call him and he'd come flying back. He liked to collect things and would pile them up on a table outside the back door. He would also build nests but I lived way out of town where there were no other pigeons and I didn't want to introduce them to the area so Walter never had a mate. Then, one day Walter didn't come back.

Another one eye-eyed animal I had was a great horned owl I called Luna - for the moon and his one good eye. He was brought to my wildlife rehab facility when he was just a fuzzy nestling, likely pushed out of or fallen from his nest.

I applied for and received a federal permit to keep him as an education animal and he went with me to literally dozens of schools, scout meetings, business man meetings, park fairs and more.

Luna also had some interesting behaviors. One time, at a day-long school job fair, he got tired, leaned against me and fell asleep. He had never been inside a cage and not thinking, I once put him in a cage. He panicked, screeching and screaming and thrashing about until I got him out. I never did that again.

He never got upset or unhappy on his education programs - except when he saw dogs at park fairs. Birds believe what they can see - I also had a blind red tail hawk called Spirit, who was never caged and went on all education programs, perched on his stick. Anyway, I would have to quickly turn, to put my body between Luna and any dogs and then talk over my shoulder, asking the dog owner to please move away. And, he was fascinated by little kids and would stare intently at them.

I trained him to do free flights where he would leave my glove and come back when I gave the signal and rewarded him with a mouse treat. But, one time, he decided not to come back and landed on a very high shelf in a library. It was a little embarrassing to have to climb up there to coax him back. Needless to say, after that, I never trusted him to come back when outside.

It was always a toss up whether I taught him or he taught me. A little "trick" I would do during education lectures was that I would tell the group to listen to the sound of his wings and then, without showing any apparent command, I would magically make him flap his wings. Thing is, owls will move to the highest point on a branch for hunting. I would gently move my hand, which would make him flap his wings for balance while he moved up my hand. The group would be very impressed and after I explained the physical changes that owls have evolved to fly silently, I would also explain that Luna was not trained to flap his wings on command but rather, he had trained me.

The evolutionary differences for silent flight, btw, are that their feathers are softer than a bunny rabbits and their flight feathers have a serrated leading edge, which breaks up the wind as it passed over them.

GHOs are called Tigers Of The Sky because they will attack and kill almost anything. Although, its not true that they will take adult cats. They may attack them but raptors are way too light to actually carry away animals of any size. And adult cats are well armed and can fight back. Nonetheless, large owls will attack cats and can injure them badly enough to kill them. A gho I rehabbed had tangled with a skunk. My eyes would water at the smell but, since birds have no sense of smell (except vultures), the owl never had any idea how bad it was.

Luna is now about 17 years old, healthy and still lives in southern AZ, in his huge flight cage with other gho's. He dines on as many mice as he wants, has mated and reproduced owlets who went on to be released to a life in the wild. Not a bad life for one who would have surely died if he had not been found. I'm not in AZ any longer so he's not mine. I could have applied to have his permit transferred to me where I am now but I felt it was better for him if he stayed where he was known and where he was comfortable.

That's probably more than you ever wanted to know and I didn't mean to get off on owls and hawks. But, I do love them as much as I love cats and feel privileged to work with them ... Thanks for reading.

Meet Aragorn, a beautiful one-eyed cat who has a permanent wink. He lost an eye but gained a chance to live.
“He was brought to the ER for euthanasia at 3 weeks old after being attacked by a dog with his eye hanging out,” said Aragorn’s human mom via imgur. When she met the little ginger boy, she knew she had to adopt him.
This is Aragorn cuddling with his human mom in his new home.

He loves following her around the house.

Aragorn jumps in the bathtub after his mom showers.

“Are you taking me with you?”

“I only have one eye, but I can see just fine and I am happy and loved.”
rO7rq70.jpg

I would have named him Polyphemus! :)

I had a wonderful one-eyed cat I called Wink. He had been hit by a car late at night, his eye was completely enucleated and crushed. He had been taken to my vet who called me because I was the executor of an estate that paid for pet bills. Because funds were getting slim, I authorized him to be pts but the vet called me back to tell me there was something special about the kitten's behavior and attitude. We struck a deal whereby the vet worked for free and I split the rest of the ^$1000 bill with the vet's office. The vet also said that since he had taken the last stray and another vet at the same office had taken the one before that, they "voted" that I should take this one. What the heck, I said. Sure, I'll foster him.

Then I fell in love with him. I could write a book about his behavior but suffice it to say, he really was special. He was just an ordinary looking grey tabby alley cat but nothing else about him was ordinary.

One example was that when he had to take medication, I actually taught him to take his pills. I put him on the kitchen counter and talked to him about why he had to take the pill while I gently pushed it into the corner of his mouth. After doing that twice, it became part of his evening meal to first jump up on the counter to take his pill.

I also had taken in a brain injured baby pigeon I called Walter. (Yeah, I know, probably everyone names their pigeon Walter.) Wink and Walter would sit on my desk, playing and wrestling, very rough and tumble. And, of all things, pushing pens back and forth. Walter either loved or hated yellow pens and would push them off onto the floor. I would pick them up and Wink would push them over to Walter who would again push them off onto the floor. Walter was always interested in Wink's eye and would push and peck at the where the other should have been. Wink would tire of that game quickly and would pin Walter down and put his mouth around Walter's head. Then they would go back to playing and wrestling. Eventually, the swelling in Walter's brain shrunk and he behaved more normally so, after some time for him to get used to where he was, I would let him out to fly. I would go out to the yard and call him and he'd come flying back. He liked to collect things and would pile them up on a table outside the back door. He would also build nests but I lived way out of town where there were no other pigeons and I didn't want to introduce them to the area so Walter never had a mate. Then, one day Walter didn't come back.

Another one eye-eyed animal I had was a great horned owl I called Luna - for the moon and his one good eye. He was brought to my wildlife rehab facility when he was just a fuzzy nestling, likely pushed out of or fallen from his nest.

I applied for and received a federal permit to keep him as an education animal and he went with me to literally dozens of schools, scout meetings, business man meetings, park fairs and more.

Luna also had some interesting behaviors. One time, at a day-long school job fair, he got tired, leaned against me and fell asleep. He had never been inside a cage and not thinking, I once put him in a cage. He panicked, screeching and screaming and thrashing about until I got him out. I never did that again.

He never got upset or unhappy on his education programs - except when he saw dogs at park fairs. Birds believe what they can see - I also had a blind red tail hawk called Spirit, who was never caged and went on all education programs, perched on his stick. Anyway, I would have to quickly turn, to put my body between Luna and any dogs and then talk over my shoulder, asking the dog owner to please move away. And, he was fascinated by little kids and would stare intently at them.

I trained him to do free flights where he would leave my glove and come back when I gave the signal and rewarded him with a mouse treat. But, one time, he decided not to come back and landed on a very high shelf in a library. It was a little embarrassing to have to climb up there to coax him back. Needless to say, after that, I never trusted him to come back when outside.

It was always a toss up whether I taught him or he taught me. A little "trick" I would do during education lectures was that I would tell the group to listen to the sound of his wings and then, without showing any apparent command, I would magically make him flap his wings. Thing is, owls will move to the highest point on a branch for hunting. I would gently move my hand, which would make him flap his wings for balance while he moved up my hand. The group would be very impressed and after I explained the physical changes that owls have evolved to fly silently, I would also explain that Luna was not trained to flap his wings on command but rather, he had trained me.

The evolutionary differences for silent flight, btw, are that their feathers are softer than a bunny rabbits and their flight feathers have a serrated leading edge, which breaks up the wind as it passed over them.

GHOs are called Tigers Of The Sky because they will attack and kill almost anything. Although, its not true that they will take adult cats. They may attack them but raptors are way too light to actually carry away animals of any size. And adult cats are well armed and can fight back. Nonetheless, large owls will attack cats and can injure them badly enough to kill them. A gho I rehabbed had tangled with a skunk. My eyes would water at the smell but, since birds have no sense of smell (except vultures), the owl never had any idea how bad it was.

Luna is now about 17 years old, healthy and still lives in southern AZ, in his huge flight cage with other gho's. He dines on as many mice as he wants, has mated and reproduced owlets who went on to be released to a life in the wild. Not a bad life for one who would have surely died if he had not been found. I'm not in AZ any longer so he's not mine. I could have applied to have his permit transferred to me where I am now but I felt it was better for him if he stayed where he was known and where he was comfortable.

That's probably more than you ever wanted to know and I didn't mean to get off on owls and hawks. But, I do love them as much as I love cats and feel privileged to work with them ... Thanks for reading.

That is so fascinating! :) Thanks for sharing! You must miss Luna.

Meet Eeyore, a small miracle kitty.
He is a shelter, throw away kitty turned in to the Montgomery County Animal Shelter, along with his cat mother and four siblings.
Here’s Eeyore’s story via his Facebook page: “I’m a small miracle. I wasn’t even 4 oz when Mom brought me home from work. My brothers were much larger and still are. I’m what they call, ‘the runt’. We all did fine for the first week… but one morning, Mom woke up, started her routine and came to check on us. I was on my side, seizing and barely breathing. I was almost gone.
Being so small, Mom didnt have much hope but tried everything she could: fluids, karo syrup and wrapping me in a heated towel and carrying me around. She was weary and expected me to be gone when she unwrapped the towel… BUT to her surprise, I popped up!
I had a severe hookworm infestation and it took a toll on me..I crashed 3 more times. Mom carried me everywhere, giving me fluids, special kitty milk, keeping me warm… you name it… every hour for a week. It was very touch and go, but a week later, things seemed to be turning in a positive direction.
That was the beginning of November and here I am. I am about 8-9 weeks old now and getting stronger everyday. I weigh 1.2 lbs and do almost everything a normal kitten does. That’s why Mom makes such a big deal about ‘my firsts’ and everything I do.
I’m what she calls, a Christmas miracle, and for that, I am grateful. I have been given a second chance and my goal is to bring joy and smiles to everyone I meet!”

Meet Eeyore, a tiny miracle kitty. He’s the runt of his litter saved by the Montgomery County Animal Shelter.

He weighed less than 4 oz, when they brought him home.

Being so small, Eeyore fought hard to live and his family was there every step of the way to bring him back to health.

He is 8-9 weeks old now and getting stronger everyday.

Now he weighs 1.2 lbs and does almost everything a normal kitten does.

He’s a Christmas miracle to his family.

He’s got big ears and a big heart!

Loved!

“I’m a little fighter!”

Forum List

Back