Keith Olbermann: ‘Could Trump Pass A Sanity Test?’

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
What do you think?

Short answer: probably not.

First, several important caveats. There is little worse and nothing cheesier than questioning the psychological stability of a public figure, especially a candidate for president, even in this case.

Except that in his year of campaigning, Donald Trump has called Lindsey Graham “a nut job,” Glenn Beck “a real nut job,” and Bernie Sanders “a wacko.” Trump has insisted Ben Carson’s got a “pathological disease,” and asked of Barack Obama: “Is our president insane?” He called Ted Cruz “unstable,” “unhinged,” “a little bit of a maniac,” and “crazy or very dishonest.” He also called the entire CNBC network “crazy.” He called Megyn Kelly“crazy”—at least six times.

Respectful reticence about aspersions and cliches and mental-health questions in a time in which mocking was seemingly slowly maturing into concern, died a long time ago in this presidential cycle—and it died at Donald Trump’s hands. Moreover, if the question is asked seriously and not gratuitously, just the examination might explain how Trump has seemingly survived dozens of moments that might each have been campaign-enders for almost anybody else. Why have we not asked if a given presidential candidate might be disqualified from office due to psychological reasons? Because we not only can’t see this forest for the trees, but each time we try, there are even more trees blocking our view. In the 24-hour news cycle, each successive John Yerkes Iselin moment is not registered cumulatively; it merely supplants the one from last week. Or yesterday. Or this morning.

This could also explain Trump’s seeming imperviousness to his own mind-bending campaign. Surely it must be exhausting to attack Mexicans (June 16, 2015), to attack John McCain (July 18), attack Muslims (December 7), attack the Pope (February 18, 2016), attack President Clinton (May 18), attack candidates who use a teleprompter (May 27) a day after you give a speech using a teleprompter (May 26). It’s got to be exhausting—unless, as the old joke goes, “No pain, no gain. And: no brain, no pain.”

Anyway.

The actual sanity test I found is called, by delicious coincidence, “The Hare Psychopathy Checklist.” Introduced by Canadian criminal psychologist Robert D. Hare in 1980, it is still in use, though with ever more diffuse and specific mental-health diagnoses, it is not without its critics. However, as a practicing therapist who walked me through it agreed, it serves as a kind of triage device to separate the injured from the tripping from the psychopathic.

And about that word. We seem to have completely muddied up sociopath and psychopath. Sociopath? Roughly speaking, think Ted Kaczynski, the Unabomber, living out there in his shack in the woods, feeling nothing for other humans and unable to interact with them, literally mailing it in. Psychopath? Think Ted Bundy, feeling nothing for other humans but having long ago learned how to expertly mimic relationships by being whatever he needed to be to whomever he needed to use, killing at least 30 women, serving as his own counsel and cross-examining a female witness, proposing marriage to her while she was on the stand—and getting her to say “yes.”

For each of the 20 items on the Hare Psychopathy Checklist, you’re supposed to assign the subject a 0, 1, or 2. The highest and most dangerous score is a 40. In the U.S., the accepted minimum score for possible psychopathy is 30.

So. Those are the rules. Let’s play the Freud:

MUCH MORE (w/VIDEOS): Keith Olbermann: ‘Could Trump Pass A Sanity Test?’

Delicious! Wow, there is so much more to this article. Personally, I don't think Trump could pass a "credible" sanity test - as least not to be President of the United States. I thought maybe Keith Olbermann was washed up - but not after this article. Go Keith!

Last edited:
What do you think?

First, several important caveats. There is little worse and nothing cheesier than questioning the psychological stability of a public figure, especially a candidate for president, even in this case.

Except that in his year of campaigning, Donald Trump has called Lindsey Graham “a nut job,” Glenn Beck “a real nut job,” and Bernie Sanders “a wacko.” Trump has insisted Ben Carson’s got a “pathological disease,” and asked of Barack Obama: “Is our president insane?” He called Ted Cruz “unstable,” “unhinged,” “a little bit of a maniac,” and “crazy or very dishonest.” He also called the entire CNBC network “crazy.” He called Megyn Kelly“crazy”—at least six times.

Respectful reticence about aspersions and cliches and mental-health questions in a time in which mocking was seemingly slowly maturing into concern, died a long time ago in this presidential cycle—and it died at Donald Trump’s hands. Moreover, if the question is asked seriously and not gratuitously, just the examination might explain how Trump has seemingly survived dozens of moments that might each have been campaign-enders for almost anybody else. Why have we not asked if a given presidential candidate might be disqualified from office due to psychological reasons? Because we not only can’t see this forest for the trees, but each time we try, there are even more trees blocking our view. In the 24-hour news cycle, each successive John Yerkes Iselin moment is not registered cumulatively; it merely supplants the one from last week. Or yesterday. Or this morning.

This could also explain Trump’s seeming imperviousness to his own mind-bending campaign. Surely it must be exhausting to attack Mexicans (June 16, 2015), to attack John McCain (July 18), attack Muslims (December 7), attack the Pope (February 18, 2016), attack President Clinton (May 18), attack candidates who use a teleprompter (May 27) a day after you give a speech using a teleprompter (May 26). It’s got to be exhausting—unless, as the old joke goes, “No pain, no gain. And: no brain, no pain.”

Anyway.

The actual sanity test I found is called, by delicious coincidence, “The Hare Psychopathy Checklist.” Introduced by Canadian criminal psychologist Robert D. Hare in 1980, it is still in use, though with ever more diffuse and specific mental-health diagnoses, it is not without its critics. However, as a practicing therapist who walked me through it agreed, it serves as a kind of triage device to separate the injured from the tripping from the psychopathic.

And about that word. We seem to have completely muddied up sociopath and psychopath. Sociopath? Roughly speaking, think Ted Kaczynski, the Unabomber, living out there in his shack in the woods, feeling nothing for other humans and unable to interact with them, literally mailing it in. Psychopath? Think Ted Bundy, feeling nothing for other humans but having long ago learned how to expertly mimic relationships by being whatever he needed to be to whomever he needed to use, killing at least 30 women, serving as his own counsel and cross-examining a female witness, proposing marriage to her while she was on the stand—and getting her to say “yes.”

For each of the 20 items on the Hare Psychopathy Checklist, you’re supposed to assign the subject a 0, 1, or 2. The highest and most dangerous score is a 40. In the U.S., the accepted minimum score for possible psychopathy is 30.

MUCH MORE: Keith Olbermann: ‘Could Trump Pass A Sanity Test?’

Delicious! Wow, there is so much more to this article. Personally, I don't think Trump could pass a "credible" sanity test - as least not to be President of the United States. I thought maybe Keith Olbermann was washed up - but not after this article. Go Keith!
Keith Olbermann?.....and you bitch about some of the people the righties put up saying things about hillary and company?.....hold on a second....
1324512.gif

What do you think?

Anyway.

Keith Olbermann?.....and you bitch about some of the people the righties put up saying things about hillary and company?.....hold on a second....View attachment 82422

Well, Smiling Bob, I'm sure this thread is waaaaay over your head. Thanks for playing...

What do you think?

Anyway.

1. Trump is as insane as I am, and yes I proclaim my insanity but I have been tested many times ( I mean many times ) and I am sane, well according to the government...

2. Trump is a salesman and is selling bullshit as lemonade and those buying his bullshit are the ones that need the sanity test done onto them instead.

3. Olbermann has no room when it come to questioning anyone sanity, but then again a nut can spot another one a mile away, so maybe he is onto something...

What do you think?

Anyway.

Keith Olbermann?.....and you bitch about some of the people the righties put up saying things about hillary and company?.....hold on a second....View attachment 82422

Well, Smiling Bob, I'm sure this thread is waaaaay over your head. Thanks for playing...
aww whats the matter lakota?.....are you pissed because you looked stupid in that other thread the other day?....you should be used to it,dont get pissed at me,when you are a one sided person who cant tolerate different opinions.....this is what happens,you end up looking bad just about every time you post a thread....like this one....fucking keith olbermann....lol

When Trump wins and pulls out the FBI fraud case against the "climate scientists" that Obama covered up, will Olbermann pass a sanity test??

DOUBT IT....

What do you think?

Anyway.

Excellent thoughts. Will check it out in more detail when I get time.

Oh wait --- is it still allowed to understand that the topic, not the writer, is the topic and actually read the material and judge on its own merit rather than jump in poisoning the well with both feet here?

What do you think?

Anyway.

aww whats the matter lakota?.....are you pissed because you looked stupid in that other thread the other day?....you should be used to it,dont get pissed at me,when you are a one sided person who cant tolerate different opinions.....this is what happens,you end up looking bad just about every time you post a thread....like this one....fucking keith olbermann....lol

What's any of this have to do with the article, Harry?

What do you think?

Anyway.

lakota knows.....thats all that matters....

I can't stand Keith Olbermann... This goes back to his days on local Los Angeles news... Fucking douchebag...

What was the topic? Oh yeah... Dump and his sanity...

I'm pretty sure he could pass a sanity test. Being a narcissistic sociopath doesn't mean you're crazy...

What do you think?

Anyway.

A sanity test? After witnessing the comments that flowed from the left criticizing their view of Sarah Palin, among other Republican candidates that dares to politically challenge the left, we finally see a Reoublican candidate that is not afraid to take that liberal playbook game and throw it right back in their face. As a result "ridicule and criticism" is no longer considered a proper way to engage the opposing candidate during a presidential election. Perhaps a republican candidate not fearful of taking attacks from the left while stealing from the same liberal playbook, in addition to addressing political issues, is something the liberal media wasn't counting on having to contend with. Leaving Hillary to ask .... "So now what do I do?"

What do you think?

Anyway.

lakota knows.....thats all that matters....

Actually, I have no idea what you're talking about. Probably just another one of your self-declared winner episodes.

Forum List

Back