Kandace Owens gets schooled

Well, maybe they didn't own slaves, but they could rent them if the need arose. Also, slavery was socially a boon to poor white farmers "At least I ain't no slave!" was something to be proud of.

One could mention a religious element to this as well. Slavery was God's Ordained plan for Africans. Some nonsense about the "Curse of Ham". So picking up a musket to fight was Doing the Lord's Work
Slavery drove the Southern Economy
Even if you didn’t own a slave, your livelihood was probably driven by that economy.

Like you said, no matter how poor you were, you were still socially superior to any slave. There was also the fear mongering that freed slaves would run around raping white women.

John Oliver is a freaking British comedian> The British flag flew from the stern of slave ships for 200 years before the Confederate flag was even created. I hate seeing racist lefties using foreign hypocrites to attack a smart and articulate black news analyst but alas it's a common tactic these days. Any black person who tries to escape the democrat plantation becomes a target for the new KKK.

I notice that the insane right on this board have totally given up on arguing anything nd now just resort to ad hom attacks on their betters.

A case in point being post 22.
I noticed that too. There was an attempt at the start to blame it on selective editing, but that didn't last.

Afraid it showed a black sellout defending the Confederacy

Oliver knows our history better than Owens
You mean the team of staff members who do nothing but try to look for Gotcha moments by cherry picking sound bites out of context.

You mean the team of staff members who do nothing but try to look for Gotcha moments by cherry picking sound bites out of context.

Ms Owens is responsible for her statements

John Oliver understands the horrors of slavery. Owens makes excuses for her conservative masters

Afraid it showed a black sellout defending the Confederacy

Oliver knows our history better than Owens
Slavery was an important issue leading up to the Civil War

But states rights and the freedom to leave the Union for other reasons were contributing factors also

Slavery was an important issue leading up to the Civil War

But states rights and the freedom to leave the Union for other reasons were contributing factors also
A states right to allow slavery and the right to leave the union over slavery

A states right to allow slavery and the right to leave the union over slavery
Thats true

But also trade issues

The North wanted high tariffs on imported products from England and France

The South wanted free trade and low tariffs

That was a very important issue for both sides

Thats true

But also trade issues

The North wanted high tariffs on imported products from England and France

The South wanted free trade and low tariffs

That was a very important issue for both sides

Which could have easily been resolved in Congress

The Confederacy was formed to preserve slavery

Which could have easily been resolved in Congress

The Confederacy was formed to preserve slavery
It was not being resolved any more than the slavery issue was

I agree that southern leaders were hotheads who were spoiling for a fight that was not resolved four score and seven years before

They started a war they could not win because their pride got the best of them

But to say that a farmer in Tennessee or a cowboy in Texas served in the Confederate Army because he hated black people and wanted the rich elite to keep them as slaves is incorrect

But to say that a farmer in Tennessee or a cowboy in Texas served in the Confederate Army because he hated black people and wanted the rich elite to keep them as slaves is incorrect

They served a Confederacy that was 40 percent slave and was formed to preserve slavery

They understood the nature of the nation they were defending.
While they may not have owned slaves, they understood the social contract that made them superior to slaves and were fed the misinformation of what would happen if slaves were freed.

Why do I waste my time responding to you?

Why do I waste my time responding to you?
Unlike most of you I probably have actual slaves in my family tree and I really don't care.

It is correct that most Confederate soldiers didn't own slaves though.

We all know that people get weirdly loyal to the particular patch of dirt that they happened to be birthed on though don't we?

The fact that people are still whining about the Civil War and slavery is just one more reason the US is crumbling.

Forum List

Back