Just started going to church

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Paulie, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,484
    Tomorrow will be my third week. I went a couple weeks when I was in basic training back in 2000, but that was mainly to get away from drill instructors for a few hours. Otherwise, I've never been.

I used to believe in a higher power when I was younger, and as I got older I questioned it like I question just about everything. I've been agnostic for probably the better part of my adult life (I'm almost 29).

I'm not looking for christ or anything, I'm just looking for something different. I have to say, I haven't felt this much at peace in a long time. I don't believe in a higher power the way a typical christian, jew, muslim, etc, does. I have my own beliefs. What church offers me is a fellowship, and something to keep myself accountable for during the week.

The church is United Methodist, which I really only chose because my late father was Methodist, and this somehow makes me feel like I'm re-acquainting with him in some way. It's protestant at least, which is a start. I wouldn't be caught dead attending anything catholic.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    Good for you Paulie!

I was raised in the Methodist Church, but haven't attended as much as I should.

But, I think you will enjoy the Methodist, we are pretty cool people I think! ;)

3. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,115
    I usually don't go to church.

Its the only thing I know of that makes me bored and feel good at the same time.

4. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,740
    Paulie - I attend the United Methodist Church in my town. I always feel better when I go to church. Hope it all works out for you. I hope you find the inner peace that you are searching for.

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,204
    Just remember, we may go to Church on Sundays. but the point of religion is to bring us closer to God everyday. Dont forget to pray and learn for yourself.

6. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,484
    Not sure I agree with this completely. I get just as much out of the pastor's sermon, and the general fellowship of the other church goers, as I do the rest of it. The pastor is very young, probably around my age, and he actually came out to our house about 2 weeks ago to talk with my girlfriend and I. We've been having some problems lately in the relationship, and this seems to be helping to bring us closer together. The GF is a christian, but I don't necessarily identify myself as a "christian", per se.

I haven't really prayed yet. I don't feel comfortable with it at this point in time. I don't want to just jump right into the deep end of the pool, so to speak. Thie is going to be one the slowest moving things I've ever personally involved myself in.

7. foggedinn

foggedinn VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107
    The church I attended as a child became part of the United Methodist Church in 1968.

I fell away for forty years. God did an impossible thing and brought me back about four years ago.

I encourage you to stay with it.

8. I'm Not Here

I'm Not Here BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good for you, you joined a homo hating, women debassing religion of like minded navel gazers. Don't forget to bring your wallet!

9. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,111
    Church is a waste of time. A bunch of people all programmed to respond in unison. Groupthink in action

10. Smartt33

Smartt33 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +147
    If you are going to sooth your conscience, don't bother. If it is a good church, you will find peace in God, and your conscience can be cleared only through Him. If you are going to get fellowship, there are good people there, but you can get that anywhere. The fellowship God is drawing you to is fellowship with Him. If you are trying to find a higher power, church is OK, but He is seen in all of His awesome creation (Romans 1). If you are trying to convince God that youi are seeking Him, you can indeed find find him in the church, but He is wherever you are when you need Him.

Today, the church is all of the things you are going for, and that is not necessarily a bad thing. However, if it is only about your own peace of mind, real peace is only in a relationship with God that is personal, it is not about a religion. Seek God first, in a genuine relationship with Him, then all the rest that your heart is needing will come.