Just Go Away Teacher Unions!...

Yes, the teachers are the enemy.

Shush!

Listen to yourselves.

Chris, that's not what they are saying!

It's UNIONS who are grabbing power and they don't give a rats butt who gets thrown under the bus just as long as they get what they want. Unions don't look out for the collective group as they claim to. Unions need to get back to reality.

FYI, I have a few unionized members in my immediate family, so I know WTH I am talking about.

Last edited:
Just found out that a 3rd grade teacher was hired at the school where wife used to work.
The job was never posted.
It was given to a friend of the Principal who attends the same church.
Screw the bastards.
It's a scam.

The position may not have needed to be posted if the one hired had seniority and had been layed off.
It all depends on the bargaining unit contract.
They are all different.

If your wife believes she was wronged, then she should file a grievance.

*PS-sorry your wife did not get the job. :(

NJ law states that all public service jobs must be advertised to the public. Obviously a principal has a lot of discretion in who is hired, but there are rules. Our district takes hiring very seriously. Normally there are a series of interviews which include other teachers and the superintendent. If the principal's church friend isn't as qualified, that guy would have some splainin to do. No system is perfect, but there should be some accountability. Mrs. H has met with some bad eggs.

Your probably right, however my point is that we shouldn't assume that teachers' net pay is a result of maximum Federal SS PLUS State retirement fund contributions.

I would be willing to bet that in VA the total retirement contribution is not more than the maximum Federal SS.

Last year the Social Secuirty Tax rate was 6.2%, this year there was temporary "Tax Relief" reducing it to 4.2% for one year and then it will return to 6.2%

This year the combined Virginia Retirement System employer + employee contribution is about 8.5% and next year that will go up 11.5%

>>>>

"Virginia Retirement System employer ....contribution"...there's an EMPLOYER CONTRIBUTION???:eek: I'm quite shocked.

Virginia is an exceptional state: I also understand the Budget is Balanced.

In Texas and Colorado, Teachers do not pay Federal Social Security, but instead pay into a state retirement fund, and there is no employer contribution. Like SS, there is no choice but to contribute to the state retirement fund.

Same in CA...they don't get SS...and also, if their husband/wife paid into SS and dies, they STILL don't get SS.

Just found out that a 3rd grade teacher was hired at the school where wife used to work.
Screw the bastards.
It's a scam.

Happens every day in private industry, etc..

Is it as prevalent in private schools?
I've not read through the 500+ posts in this thread. Just blowing off. Pissed as hell.

More so.

Yep. And what people don't understand is that tenure is not a "job for life". Firing a bad teacher is difficult. Forcing them to quit is quite easy. It happens ALL the time.

Yep, and when an employee (teacher or not) quits and is not fired, then they normally will not qualify for unemployment compensation.

>>>>

So?

While many quit, it isn't just because they might not like their working conditions, but it may have a lot to do with a better paying job, or for many (females), staying at home with their kids, and for many (males) the need to support a family.

The fact is, that once teachers have been teaching 5 years, most have pretty much peaked-out, and won't be teaching much differently in year 10 than year 6.
I taught for two years and left the profession. I could not see a real career path. It's pretty much of a dead end job unless you really love teaching. In the district I taught, it took 10 to 15 years and at least a masters to be considered for an assistant principal position, which I consider one of the worst jobs in education unless you love to handle discipline cases all day. If you survive that for 5 years and maybe get another degree, then you might be in line for a principalship. However, you probably would be making less money than the electrician I hired last week.

In what may be the result of one of the great political miscalculations of our time, Scott Walker’s popularity in his home state is fast going down the tubes.

A Rasmussen poll out today reveals that almost 60% of likely Wisconsin voters now disapprove of their aggressive governor’s performance, with 48% strongly disapproving.

While these numbers are clearly indicators of a strategy gone horribly wrong, there are some additional findings in the poll that I suspect deserve even greater attention.

It turns out that the state’s public school teachers are very popular with their fellow Badgers. With 77% of those polled holding a high opinion of their educators, it is not particularly surprising that only 32% among households with children in the public school system approve of the governor’s performance. Sixty-seven percent (67%) disapprove, including 54% who strongly disapprove.

Can anyone imagine a politician succeeding with numbers like this among people who have kids?

Gov. Scott Walker Has Lost The War - Forbes

Experience. But feel free to prove me wrong.
Nooooooooo, you made the claim, now back it up.

Tell you what....show me the laws that PREVENT cronyism in PRIVATE school hiring....as we see in public school hiring.
Tell you what....Show me the proof of the claim you made......You made the claim, back it up with solid evidence........Surely you have evidence beyond the lame, "Experience", or you wouldn't have the made the claim.

Nooooooooo, you made the claim, now back it up.

Tell you what....show me the laws that PREVENT cronyism in PRIVATE school hiring....as we see in public school hiring.
Tell you what....Show me the proof of the claim you made......You made the claim, back it up with solid evidence........Surely you have evidence beyond the lame, "Experience", or you wouldn't have the made the claim.

Case one....friend of mine applied at a PRivate military academy in Southern San Diego Co....had credentials for job and everything. Army buddy of dept head was hired...they held job with subs til he got out.

Case two...another friend of mine moved to the Bay area and applied first at local private schools since many of them were year round at the time. Every one said they would only pick people from their own church congregations, approved by THEIR pastor...nothing was ever said about eduational qualifications...only church approval qualifications.

Now...in Mr. H's situation he described earlier.....what recourse would he have in a Private School setting?

Tell us.

Case one....friend of mine applied at a PRivate military academy in Southern San Diego Co....had credentials for job and everything. Army buddy of dept head was hired...they held job with subs til he got out.

Case two...another friend of mine moved to the Bay area and applied first at local private schools since many of them were year round at the time. Every one said they would only pick people from their own church congregations, approved by THEIR pastor...nothing was ever said about eduational qualifications...only church approval qualifications.

Now...in Mr. H's situation he described earlier.....what recourse would he have in a Private School setting?

Tell us.
You saying it doesn't make it true.......We have to take your history up here into account whenever YOU make a claim.

Hell, I have two friends who were the presidents of 18 countries all at the same time. They each had three heads and 4 tails.........Really, it's true.

Now, provide solid evidence of what you claimed.

Tell us.
You saying it doesn't make it true.......We have to take your history up here into account whenever YOU make a claim.

Hell, I have two friends who were the presidents of 18 countries all at the same time. They each had three heads and 4 tails.........Really, it's true.

Now, provide solid evidence of what you claimed.

Doesn't make it NOT true either.

So...show us what laws are in place to make sure cronyism cannot take place in private school hiring? Show us the legal repercussions available in a situation like Mr. H described if it's a private school.

It's quite simple...when laws are in place to prevent cronyism, it is less likely to happen. When procedures are NOT in place to report hiring cronyism it is MORE likely to happen.

Last edited:
Screw the bastards.
It's a scam.

Private school? NO legal recourse.

Public school? Your wife can file a grievance.

Forum List

Back