Judge: Corps’ failure led to Katrina flooding

The Corps of Engineers failed to build strong enough.

The Bush administration when told days before the hurricane hit that the levee would fail, failed to act promptly, in fact, failed to act at all.

After the hurricane hit, again failed to act.

Sorry, but you fellows are not going to get to excuse that additional example of the rank incompetantcy of the Bush administration in every sphere.

what a hack.....

notice he doesn't mention anyone that actually was in charge of NO....like the mayor, the governor.....nope.....its all bush's fault....

thanks for the laugh bucko :lol:

Not a humorous situation. New Orleans and the state of Louisiana evacuated well over a million people out of New Orleans. As per the protocals for the disaster, those left took refuge in the Superdome and other designated spots. Then waited while Brownie and Bush did nothing.

not only are you a hack, you're a liar....i never laughed at the situation, i laughed your hackery....and then you prove it again with your lying spin on what i said....

those buses underwater....yeah, nagin, had no power over that, no power over his own city, the governor, no power, none, no power to declare a state of emergency which she didn't do until late....

you're a joke....and not a very funny one either

Katrina was a failure at all three levels, People dropped the ball from local to federal, there is no one person to blame.

Well, for once I agree with you. And I will never get a chance to vote against Blanco or Nagin. But I was able to vote against those that supported the incompetant Bush administration. As were many other people.

interesting....you just made a post arguing against my belief that you only blame bush.....

i think you're full of crap here....i bet 99% of your posts on katrina have to do with blaming only bush.....

hack

what a hack.....

notice he doesn't mention anyone that actually was in charge of NO....like the mayor, the governor.....nope.....its all bush's fault....

thanks for the laugh bucko :lol:

Not a humorous situation. New Orleans and the state of Louisiana evacuated well over a million people out of New Orleans. As per the protocals for the disaster, those left took refuge in the Superdome and other designated spots. Then waited while Brownie and Bush did nothing.

not only are you a hack, you're a liar....i never laughed at the situation, i laughed your hackery....and then you prove it again with your lying spin on what i said....

those buses underwater....yeah, nagin, had no power over that, no power over his own city, the governor, no power, none, no power to declare a state of emergency which she didn't do until late....

When should she have declared a state of emergency? On Friday, no one in the city thought that Katrina was going to hit the city. I should know, I was out drinking in the bars that night.

It became obvious that this was for real on Saturday.

I think one main point here is that nagin, blanco, brownie and bush all failed AFTER the fact.

the judge is saying that the army COE failed BEFORE the fact.

and THAT failure had NOTHING to do with nagin or blanco.... or brownie, for that matter.

the corps of engineers works for the CinC

The "judge" should ask where all the money to rebuild the levees went over the years. He should try and figure out why the New Orleans Levee Board failed to fix the levees despite being provided Hundreds of Millions of federal dollars over the years. Ask them why instead opting to spend money on fixing failing levees, they blew it on frivolous crap, like the $2.4 million they spent on a "Mardi Gras Fountain". New Orleans is a corrupt cesspool.

Exactly. The New Orleans flood protection system was not designed for a direct hit from a CAT-5 Katrina because Congress couldn't afford it. The storm surge is tremendous.
Then some of the money they did approve got mis-spent along the way. Top that off with a corrupt city and state political system that allowed building in flood zones. The Army Corps doesn't have any pockets, so I don't see these lawsuits going anywhere. At least is 100s of saved jobs for lawyers.

Katrina was not a catagory five storm when it hit Slidell. It was a three at best and some people argue a two.

Hurricane catagory is based strictly on wind speed. That is a misleading indicator of the amount of damage that a given storm can do. Katrina clearly demonstrated that storm surge is the primary factor in how much damage a storm can cause.

I looked out my front window during hurricane Fredrick and watched a cat. 4 storm snap 18" pine trees like toothpicks. That was nothing compared to the devastation caused by Katrina. Whole communities were simply wiped from existance.

To try to place blame on the Corp of Engineers is absurd. There are too many other factors involved. Louisianna is losing about 100 sq. miles of its lower marsh area a year due to both channelizing the Mississippi river and decades of oil companies cutting navigation channels through the lower marsh. At the current rate of land lose, New Orleans will be gulf front property within 100 years. It's my opinion that New Orleans is a city that can't be saved.

On a positive note; Katrina finally got people to shut up about Camille.

Exactly. The New Orleans flood protection system was not designed for a direct hit from a CAT-5 Katrina because Congress couldn't afford it. The storm surge is tremendous.
Then some of the money they did approve got mis-spent along the way. Top that off with a corrupt city and state political system that allowed building in flood zones. The Army Corps doesn't have any pockets, so I don't see these lawsuits going anywhere. At least is 100s of saved jobs for lawyers.

Katrina was not a catagory five storm when it hit Slidell. It was a three at best and some people argue a two.

Hurricane catagory is based strictly on wind speed. That is a misleading indicator of the amount of damage that a given storm can do. Katrina clearly demonstrated that storm surge is the primary factor in how much damage a storm can cause.

I looked out my front window during hurricane Fredrick and watched a cat. 4 storm snap 18" pine trees like toothpicks. That was nothing compared to the devastation caused by Katrina. Whole communities were simply wiped from existance.

To try to place blame on the Corp of Engineers is absurd. There are too many other factors involved. Louisianna is losing about 100 sq. miles of its lower marsh area a year due to both channelizing the Mississippi river and decades of oil companies cutting navigation channels through the lower marsh. At the current rate of land lose, New Orleans will be gulf front property within 100 years. It's my opinion that New Orleans is a city that can't be saved.

I agree with most of your post (except for not being able to save NOLA). However, the canal levees bucked under hydraulic force, not wind speed. And they should have been able to withstand that force.

The Corps failed in their task of maintaining the levees. The levee board also failed. That is their piece of this pie.

When should she have declared a state of emergency? On Friday, no one in the city thought that Katrina was going to hit the city. I should know, I was out drinking in the bars that night.

that explains why you like to blame only bush.....

and as much as i can't stand maineman....his statements are correct up until he alludes to the fault lying solely with the CINC....hack that he is, he can't resist

and as much as i can't stand maineman....his statements are correct up until he alludes to the fault lying solely with the CINC....hack that he is, he can't resist

as much as yurt is a gay stalking hack, he cannot change the fact that the army corps of engineers does indeed work for the CinC and NOT for the mayor of New Orleans or for the governor of Louisiana, or even for the head of FEMA. I did not allude that the fault lay solely with the CinC. I stated a fact. In regards to the failure of the levy, the fault lies with the COE and, therefore, the buck stops on the desk of the CinC who IS ultimately responsible for the actions of his subordinates.

as much as yurt is a gay stalking hack, he cannot change the fact that the army corps of engineers does indeed work for the CinC and NOT for the mayor of New Orleans or for the governor of Louisiana, or even for the head of FEMA. I did not allude that the fault lay solely with the CinC. I stated a fact. In regards to the failure of the levy, the fault lies with the COE and, therefore, the buck stops on the desk of the CinC who IS ultimately responsible for the actions of his subordinates.

bringing up stalking.....pray tell....why were YOU banned from this board recently, once or twice, and it seems quite a bit of time the second time... i suggest you let it drop if you want to debate me.....got it, good.....

if you want to debate politics, leave it at that....is it that hard? or are you really that creepy and obsessive? tell you what....just respond to the political argument below.....

where you are wrong is claiming that the mayor or governor could have done nothing to mitigate the damage.....

Last edited:

bringing up stalking.....pray tell....why were YOU banned from this board recently, once or twice, and it seems quite a bit of time the second time... i suggest you let it drop if you want to debate me.....got it, good.....

if you want to debate politics, leave it at that....is it that hard? or are you really that creepy and obsessive? tell you what....just respond to the political argument below.....

where you are wrong is claiming that the mayor or governor could have done nothing to mitigate the damage.....

I merely pointed out that the judge's ruling puts the onus on the COE, and THEY work for the CinC. If the COE had not failed in their construction of the levies, the levies would not have failed and the ninth ward would not have had any such horrificdamage to mitigate.

got it, gay hack? good

I merely pointed out that the judge's ruling puts the onus on the COE, and THEY work for the CinC. If the COE had not failed in their construction of the levies, the levies would not have failed and the ninth ward would not have had any such horrificdamage to mitigate.

got it, gay hack? good

if anyone in your family would have been a lawyer...you would know that mitigating damages is relevent regardless if the other party is wholly at fault.....

no derogatory remarks about family are allowed-del

Last edited by a moderator:

When have I "blamed only Bush"?

You like to make shit up, don't you?

got it, gay hack? good

if anyone in your family would have been a lawyer...you would know that mitigating damages is relevent regardless if the other party is wholly at fault.....

deleted-del

"Duval sided with six residents and one business who argued the Army Corps' shoddy oversight of the Mississippi River-Gulf Outlet led to the flooding of New Orleans' Lower 9th Ward and neighboring St. Bernard Parish."

got it, gay hack? good

Is this the part where you are going to allude to being a brilliant lawyer again?

got it, gay hack? good

Is this the part where you are going to allude to being a brilliant lawyer again?

if you only knew! ;)

got it, gay hack? good

are you one of maineman's ass bandit lovers?

exactly!

got it, gay hack? good

by that logic, you should be an expert on the torah:lol:

Forum List

Back