Judge: Corps’ failure led to Katrina flooding

The Corps of Engineers failed to build strong enough.

The Bush administration when told days before the hurricane hit that the levee would fail, failed to act promptly, in fact, failed to act at all.

After the hurricane hit, again failed to act.

Sorry, but you fellows are not going to get to excuse that additional example of the rank incompetantcy of the Bush administration in every sphere.
The government of Louisiana failed its people. The USACE failed the people of the United States. The people of the United States failed to see the failure of USACE and of the Governor of Louisiana coming. Blaming Bush is adolescent thinking.

The "judge" should ask where all the money to rebuild the levees went over the years. He should try and figure out why the New Orleans Levee Board failed to fix the levees despite being provided Hundreds of Millions of federal dollars over the years. Ask them why instead opting to spend money on fixing failing levees, the blew it on frivolous crap, like the $2.4 million they spent on a "Mardi Gras Fountain". New Orleans is a corrupt cesspool.
The portion of the USACE (or COE depending on what you want to call it) that has jurisdiction over the Mississippi River is just one of the many oversize, inefficient, corrupt, marginally helpful entities within the massive glob of employees we call "government". There are too many civil servants of which we cannot rid ourselves, too many control freaks in various positions within it, too many congressmen that want to control what it does, and too much money wasted on projects that have absolutely nothing to do with controlling the Mississippi River and protecting nearby inhabitants from flooding...and that's just considering the COE employees that deal with only the Mississippi River. Add the entire COE in there and you have a gigantic bunch of high cost inefficiency and many instances of completely wasting US tax dollars.

The COE should be restructured using the economic rules of the private sector where lack of adequate performance gets a man relieved of his job.

Last edited:
The "judge" should ask where all the money to rebuild the levees went over the years. He should try and figure out why the New Orleans Levee Board failed to fix the levees despite being provided Hundreds of Millions of federal dollars over the years. Ask them why instead opting to spend money on fixing failing levees, they blew it on frivolous crap, like the $2.4 million they spent on a "Mardi Gras Fountain". New Orleans is a corrupt cesspool.

Exactly. The New Orleans flood protection system was not designed for a direct hit from a CAT-5 Katrina because Congress couldn't afford it. The storm surge is tremendous.
Then some of the money they did approve got mis-spent along the way. Top that off with a corrupt city and state political system that allowed building in flood zones. The Army Corps doesn't have any pockets, so I don't see these lawsuits going anywhere. At least is 100s of saved jobs for lawyers.

By contrast, the plaintiffs' team of experts said the outlet became a "hurricane highway" that funneled storm surge into New Orleans. They said that without the channel, the flooding would have been minimal.

this sounds too easy,, all the corps need do now is fill that channel up.. then no more floods to worry about.

They've constructed flood gates on the channels that interlock the city.

The larger question is if another surge of that magnitude comes through, will the main levees be able to hold?

During Katrina, the main levees held. It was the inter connecting channel levees, that were connected to the lake, that failed.

Once they failed, there was no way of preventing the water from the lake from flowing through the canals and flooding the city.

well that's what I'm saying, If the city is allowed to defer the funds and spend them elsewhere and then turn around and sue the gov. then if I were the gov. I'd say ta hell with you,, fix your own damn levees and chanels.. I'd get the hell outta New Orleans..

The Bush administration when told days before the hurricane hit that the levee would fail, failed to act promptly, in fact, failed to act at all.

Sorry, but you fellows are not going to get to excuse that additional example of the rank incompetantcy of the Bush administration in every sphere.
The first line of defense was the City, and the State, Old Rocks. There is where the breakdown started. I know you would never mention that because the Mayor, and the Govenor were both democrats.
Katrina was Bush's hurricane...remember who said that Old Rocks? yeah, another democrat.

Last edited:

The first line of defense was the City, and the State, Old Rocks. There is where the breakdown started. I know you would never mention that because the Mayor, and the Govenor were both democrats.
Katrina was Bush's hurricane...remember who said that Old Rocks? yeah, another democrat.

The Mayor, a DemocRAT, said that the Governor, a DemocRAT was Deliberately CockBlocking Federal Assistance because she didn't want Bush to get the Credit for Saving her State...

This CockBlockery went on for about 24 Hours, if my Memory Serves me.

Nagin and Blank-O, Correct?

:)

peace...

The Mayor, a DemocRAT, said that the Governor, a DemocRAT was Deliberately CockBlocking Federal Assistance because she didn't want Bush to get the Credit for Saving her State...

This CockBlockery went on for about 24 Hours, if my Memory Serves me.

Nagin and Blank-O, Correct?

:)

peace...

You are correct.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
The "judge" should ask where all the money to rebuild the levees went over the years. He should try and figure out why the New Orleans Levee Board failed to fix the levees despite being provided Hundreds of Millions of federal dollars over the years. Ask them why instead opting to spend money on fixing failing levees, they blew it on frivolous crap, like the $2.4 million they spent on a "Mardi Gras Fountain". New Orleans is a corrupt cesspool.

Exactly. The New Orleans flood protection system was not designed for a direct hit from a CAT-5 Katrina because Congress couldn't afford it. The storm surge is tremendous.
Then some of the money they did approve got mis-spent along the way. Top that off with a corrupt city and state political system that allowed building in flood zones. The Army Corps doesn't have any pockets, so I don't see these lawsuits going anywhere. At least is 100s of saved jobs for lawyers.

Katrina was not a catagory five storm when it hit Slidell. It was a three at best and some people argue a two.

Katrina was not a catagory five storm when it hit Slidell. It was a three at best and some people argue a two.
Or a one.

what a hack.....

notice he doesn't mention anyone that actually was in charge of NO....like the mayor, the governor.....nope.....its all bush's fault....

thanks for the laugh bucko :lol:

Both the govenor and the mayor could have done more. However, they did follow the protocals for that disaster. The Federal Government failed to follow those protocals after the levee failed.

You can yap all you want about the failures of the state and the city governments, but most Americans remember the pictures from New Orleans at the time, and the utter failure of the Bush administration to take appropriate action.

The failures of Katrina were at every level of government, from local councils to the oval office.

The failure of design and maintenance of the canals was the fault of the Corps of Engineers, a federal agency.

Everyone down there knew it, it just took a judge to say it to make it "real" I suppose.

what a hack.....

notice he doesn't mention anyone that actually was in charge of NO....like the mayor, the governor.....nope.....its all bush's fault....

Not a humorous situation. New Orleans and the state of Louisiana evacuated well over a million people out of New Orleans. As per the protocals for the disaster, those left took refuge in the Superdome and other designated spots. Then waited while Brownie and Bush did nothing.

Katrina was a failure at all three levels, People dropped the ball from local to federal, there is no one person to blame.

Well, for once I agree with you. And I will never get a chance to vote against Blanco or Nagin. But I was able to vote against those that supported the incompetant Bush administration. As were many other people.

what a hack.....

Not a humorous situation. New Orleans and the state of Louisiana evacuated well over a million people out of New Orleans. As per the protocals for the disaster, those left took refuge in the Superdome and other designated spots. Then waited while Brownie and Bush did nothing.

:cuckoo: Your not that big of an idiot....I thought. Can you spin it anymore than you have?

what a hack.....

It's pointless. Katrina is only relevant to many conservatives as a means to try and deflect Bush's share of the blame onto other people.

Blanco and Nagin were entirely sub-par (though Nagin prior to the storm had few options), but once it was obvious that this was a disaster beyond all proportions, it was the responsibility of the federal government to jump in.

Bush failed miserably in that regard. Everyone knows it. Ironically, he sewed the seeds of his own embarrassment. If he'd nominated a competent FEMA director, as opposed to that lackey, Brown, he would have come out looking okay.

BTW, I also though Nagin's biggest failures came after the storm (and after the city was drained). Prior to the storm he did okay.

He did not have the time, resources, and legal authority to go door to door and force people to evacuate.

As it stands, I woke up that Saturday morning, saw his press conference where he begged people to leave the city, and took his advice. Many people didn't. However, once the city started flooding and people started descending on the dome, he had nowhere to go with them. The oft shown pictures of the school buses underwater are nice, but waterlogged buses aren't going to evacuate many people.

It also didn't help that the Gretna Police barricaded the Crescent City Connection and prevented (with the threat of lethal force) people from getting to dry land and supplies.

Yes, you heard that right, in the United States of America, a police force illegally impeded citizens from utilizing a bridge their taxes paid for.

Forum List

Back