Judge Bans Use Of “Illegal” and “Aliens”

Such laws are not codified in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights. These kinds of laws are passed by congress, and signed into law by the President of the U.S. Surely you learned this in basic civics classes. Here is the statute in question:

§ 1325. — *Improper entry by alien. - US § 1325. — *Improper entry by alien. - US Code :: Justia

Illegal entry - misdemeanor offense.
Residing here illegally and working - FELONY offense.
Re-entering after deportation - FELONY offense.

Quite clearly you have no idea what you are talking about, Grismonda.
I'm a little sleepy so maybe I missed it. But where in what you posted does it say residing here or working here is a felony? I only see that coming back after being deported is a felony.

Illegal entry - misdemeanor offense.
Residing here illegally and working - FELONY offense.
Re-entering after deportation - FELONY offense.

here!

Apparently, Gris is under the mistaken impression that immigration law is found in the constitution.

You don't get to tell me what I think! The Constitution and Bill of Rights does not cover immigration law, and why should it? During that time, ALL Americans (by your definition) were "illegal"....

Last edited:
Where? Native American courts during the 1600's?

I was demonstrating to that poster (forget who??) how absurd it would have been for our founding fathers to include laws regulating "illegal" immigration. We are the founders of "illegal immigration"....

Last edited:
Sneaking in, ILLEGALLY. Hence, illegal aliens.

You used the adjective 'illegal' correctly in the sentence. The topic is about using the term 'illegals' as a noun to describe undocumented immigrants.

There are two kinds of undocumented immigrants. One kind have entered the US with visas and permits and let those expire. The other kind never had the visas in the first place.

It is a misdemeanor to be in the US without proper documentation.

The OP comments on language use in Arizona courts that would be less likely to reflect judicial bias. Here is a link to the original documents:
http://www.judicialwatch.org/documents/2008/KFYI.McGregorLetter.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
The topic is as Sky Dancer states so brilliantly and eloquently... The use of a qualifer like illegal or alien added to a immigrant (someone migrating) is disingenuous AND bad grammar. I have been prone to use it myself....

It is sort of like explaining to someone why "parital birth abortions" are really not births....

This is where you and the dancing in the sky hippie lose the argument. A person that "sneaks" into the country "illegally" is NOT migrating. They are breaking the law which first and foremost makes them a criminal, and second, they are an alien to this country. Therefore, there is NO other term that more accurately describes this person than ILLEGAL ALIEN.

Now you and the dancing in the sky hippie can split hairs and spew psychobabble 'till you're blue in the face here, but you will NOT take ANYTHING away from the term ILLEGAL ALIEN as being 100% accurate.

It's as simple as this, you two are playing a little game, a little liberal word game, trying to polish a turd, and it's not working.

Last edited:
The dictionary-disabled are such a tragedy. Perhaps this board would get behind a fund-raising campaign to provide some board members with a dictionary of their very own. Or, in lieu of that, there is always dictionary.com.

The new Firefox browser has spell check built in. The google toolbar has spell check. Both are free.

I think that illegal alien is also incorrect. Crossing the border illegally is illegal. But once you're here you pretty much fall under the innocent until proven guilty system. No one is actually illegal until they go through their immigration hearing and are told to leave (unless they actually leave).

This thread is a great example of how we can argue all day about essentially nothing.

Arizona courts are agreed to use the term 'undocumented immigrant' instead of 'illegal aliens' in order that they not appear to be judicially biased. Good for them.

I prefer to use whatever term a minority group thinks is more respectful. Hispanic Journalists have requested that mainstream media use the term 'undocumented immigrants or illegal immigrants' rather than the terms 'illegals' or 'aliens'. I have no problem with using a more respectful term. I don't have much anger toward Mexican immigrants whether they are legal or illegally in the US.

Language does define the rhetoric in the political camps one side or the other.

Hard line nativists prefer to use the term 'illegals' and any other nasty words they can get away with. They use alot of the same arguments about 'illegals' as they call them that the Nazi's used to describe the Jews.

People who don't have strongly negative feelings toward Mexican immigrants be they legal or illegal will use the term 'undocumented migrant or immigrant". Whatever is convenient is what most of us prefer to use. It takes a little more work to use 'undocumented'. Some will use it and some will not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back