Jon Stewart to Republicans: You Can't Exploit 9/11 Anymore

Republicans filibustered it because the Dems wouldn't allow them to add anything else to it...

that is not true...this is the same crap dems pulled last summer

if the dems wanted to help them so badly, stop playing fucking games with the bills and bring them up in normal rule sessions...

its the dems playing politics and only idiots fall for it and blame the pubs

Oh, it certainly is true. But you're right, it is a game.

Everything in politics is a game. Do I think the Dems were really trying to help first responders? Of course not, they're doing to score political points. The Republicans filibustered it because the Dems wouldn't let them play games too - like adding a rider that all first responders must submit to a citizenship test before getting benefits, or adding an anti-abortion rider.

I don't care about that though, because the "game" that Democrats were playing would have gotten a lot of money to a lot of people that really need it, and deserve it. There's nothing more admirable that a man can do than running into a burning building.

And the Republican "game" stopped it.

then the dems should have allowed regular debate and amendments...you have no clue if the pubs only wanted to add something...perhaps they wanted amendments to take something away

if the dems and pubs really cared, this bill would be by the rules and be solely about the first responders...this bullshit game has been played since summer and it appears the dems are using it as fodder to bash repubs by falsely proclaiming they don't care about first responders

that is not true...this is the same crap dems pulled last summer

if the dems wanted to help them so badly, stop playing fucking games with the bills and bring them up in normal rule sessions...

its the dems playing politics and only idiots fall for it and blame the pubs

Everything in politics is a game. Do I think the Dems were really trying to help first responders? Of course not, they're doing to score political points. The Republicans filibustered it because the Dems wouldn't let them play games too - like adding a rider that all first responders must submit to a citizenship test before getting benefits, or adding an anti-abortion rider.

I don't care about that though, because the "game" that Democrats were playing would have gotten a lot of money to a lot of people that really need it, and deserve it. There's nothing more admirable that a man can do than running into a burning building.

then the dems should have allowed regular debate and amendments...you have no clue if the pubs only wanted to add something...perhaps they wanted amendments to take something away

if the dems and pubs really cared, this bill would be by the rules and be solely about the first responders...this bullshit game has been played since summer and it appears the dems are using it as fodder to bash repubs by falsely proclaiming they don't care about first responders

As I said, I never claimed that the Dems "cared" and the Republicans "didn't care". Neither side really cares. And arguing what should or would have happened is pretty pointless.

Of course Dems are using this as fodder to bash Republicans. That's what politicians do, that's what politics is. I'm not arguing the politics of how this bill was done. I just really think it should have been passed.

Exactly.

Exactly.

Why don't you just cut to the chase and compare the republicans to Al qaeda the way Chris does.

From the very same article Elvis posted earlier:

Rep. Peter King rips Democrats over 9/11 compensation act, calls part immoral cowards

Lately, the GOP has attached language on abortion, immigration and other hot-button issues that divide the Democratic Party.

The 9/11 bill, with its emphasis on health care, potentially could offer a vehicle to attack the recent health care reform law, though no one has said publicly that Republicans would attempt such a ploy.

Republicans already tried to attach immigration and abortion restrictions to the bill when it was being written, and could again.

But keep on thinking the Republicans weren't trying to do exactly what they tried to do.

Why don't you just cut to the chase and compare the republicans to Al qaeda the way Chris does.

What? :eusa_eh:

I was agreeing with a post that said the following:

Do I think the Dems were really trying to help first responders? Of course not, they're doing to score political points.

How you got that conclusion out of that is beyond me.

From the very same article Elvis posted earlier:

Rep. Peter King rips Democrats over 9/11 compensation act, calls part immoral cowards

Lately, the GOP has attached language on abortion, immigration and other hot-button issues that divide the Democratic Party.

The 9/11 bill, with its emphasis on health care, potentially could offer a vehicle to attack the recent health care reform law, though no one has said publicly that Republicans would attempt such a ploy.

Republicans already tried to attach immigration and abortion restrictions to the bill when it was being written, and could again.

But keep on thinking the Republicans weren't trying to do exactly what they tried to do.

go back and reread what i said, you clearly did not comprehend it

they want to both add and take away, eg, amend the bill and have it come up in regular session under regular rules....

why did the dems use this procedural bullshit? you've hammered the pubs over this, yet not a peep about the dems bs....not surprising though

they want to both add and take away, eg, amend the bill and have it come up in regular session under regular rules....

why did the dems use this procedural bullshit? you've hammered the pubs over this, yet not a peep about the dems bs....not surprising though

Because the whole point of the procedure was so that no bullshit was added to the bill. What was wrong with just voting on the bill the way it was? You seem to forget the context under which the Dems used the "procedural bullshit."

I don't need to hammer the Democrats for being spineless cowards who play political games on USMB because the few people who actually believe they aren't are lost causes anyway. It isn't the Democrats fault this bill failed, it's the Republicans fault.

Unless I missed it, I haven't seen you criticize the GOP for this yet.

You answered your own question.... they just want to make Repubs look bad, and they want to hammer them at every turn.

They should put it up for an up or down vote. The Dems are cowards, and frankly I could give a rip what John Steward (the clown) says.

Because the whole point of the procedure was so that no bullshit was added to the bill. What was wrong with just voting on the bill the way it was? You seem to forget the context under which the Dems used the "procedural bullshit."

I don't need to hammer the Democrats for being spineless cowards who play political games on USMB because the few people who actually believe they aren't are lost causes anyway. It isn't the Democrats fault this bill failed, it's the Republicans fault.

Unless I missed it, I haven't seen you criticize the GOP for this yet.

why are the dems afraid to allow debate on the bill? why are they so afraid they have to require a 60 vote cloture....

why? because they could give a shit about the responders and do this so people like you will hate the gop because you're mindless sheep

i have criticized the gop, good lord, where is your criticism of the left on this? you're still whining its the gop's fault, that is simply a lie....if this came under regular rules, even repubs admitted it would have passed

you're such a dem apologist, i don't know why you don't just be honest and admit it

George W. Bush was POTUS on Sept. 11, 2001; The Republican party held the majority in the Senate and the House of Representatives, as well as the majority in the Supreme Court.
What more does anyone need to know?
We got attacked, the worse attack since Pearl Harbor on are nation on the Republican's watch. These are the facts.
And, of course, I expect the usual response for the dumb shits on the right, "boooooooooosh". Yes, Bush was, is and will always be the most fucked up incompetent piece of right wing shit to ever hold the office of POTUS.
Only a fucking fool invades and occupies a foreign nation and cuts taxes. What did he expect, flowers and pats on the ass from the people of Iraq? Oh, he did. What a fucking fool.

George W. Bush was POTUS on Sept. 11, 2001; The Republican party held the majority in the Senate and the House of Representatives, as well as the majority in the Supreme Court.
We got attacked, the worse attack since Pearl Harbor on are nation on the Republican's watch. These are the facts.
And, of course, I expect the usual response for the dumb shits on the right, "boooooooooosh". Yes, Bush was, is and will always be the most fucked up incompetent piece of right wing shit to ever hold the office of POTUS.
Only a fucking fool invades and occupies a foreign nation and cuts taxes. What did he expect, flowers and pats on the ass from the people of Iraq? Oh, he did. What a fucking fool.

:eusa_eh:

wtf does that have to with this thread

No. Just no.

See, this is where the Dems fail just as badly as the Republicans. It was going on ten years ago. Almost a whole decade, and this country has done nothing but spin its wheels in the dirt ever since no matter who was in power. The Repubs were given a huge mandate, the good will of almost the entire world and close to 90% of the people in this country to take care of business after 9/11, and they blew it. The Dems got their chance 2 years ago and they blew it too. The blame game doesn't work anymore when you had your chance and you're too gutless to take it because it might mess up your little games. There's nobody left in the games but dumb and dumber, and honestly I'm hard pressed to figure out which is which anymore.

No. Just no.

See, this is where the Dems fail just as badly as the Republicans. It was going on ten years ago. Almost a whole decade, and this country has done nothing but spin its wheels in the dirt ever since no matter who was in power. The Repubs were given a huge mandate, the good will of almost the entire world and close to 90% of the people in this country to take care of business after 9/11, and they blew it. The Dems got their chance 2 years ago and they blew it too. The blame game doesn't work anymore when you had your chance and you're too gutless to take it because it might mess up your little games. There's nobody left in the games but dumb and dumber, and honestly I'm hard pressed to figure out which is which anymore.

Exactly right, both parties have had majorities in both parts of Congress plus the Presidency at one point or another. Yet, neither got anything done.

The thing that is most shameful about the fact this bill not getting passed recently is the fact this bill shouldn't of even have been up for voting recently. This bill should of been passed years ago with all members of Congress voting yes with the President signature.

:eusa_eh:

wtf does that have to with this thread

It has everything to do with this thread, really. You play games with 9/11, don't expect to run on it, cover yourself in glory and flags and expect anybody to take you seriously. But then again, if you run against the people who fucked up after 9/11, don't expect to run on it forever when you haven't done jack to solve the very things you ran against.

And let that be a warning to the Repubs who think they're riding some swell of "We Heart Republicans" support this time around too. You run on the blame game, you better be prepared to do something about it or your days are numbered too. The real people out here who cast real votes are sick of the same old bullshit from the same old people shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Forum List

Back