Joe McCarthy's HUAC Blacklisted Innocent Hollywood Writers and Actors

True or False: Joe McCarthy's HUAC Blacklisted Innocent Hollywood Writers and Actors

• True

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • False

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
McCarthy was right most of the time. I suggest reading M. Stanton Evans' exhaustively documented book Blacklisted By History: The Untold Story of Senator Joe McCarthy and His Fight Against America's Enemies, published in 2007. No honest, rational person can read that book and still think that McCarthy was a fear monger or that he "smeared" innocent people.

The real "smearing" was done by McCarthy's enemies and is carried on to this day by "historians" who refuse to consider the mountain of facts that contradicts the traditional view of McCarthy.

Last edited:
... the media managed to blame a single freaking republican for the inconvenience that the commie writers endured. The whole McCarthy (era) is the greatest left wing propaganda victory in history.

"The media" didn't do that -- CrusaderFrank did with his trick question.
If McCarthyism was a "left wing propaganda victory" it can only be because its figurehead dug his own hole and buried himself. Or as Eisenhower called it when it fizzled out, "McCarthy-wasm" :lol:
The notion that (republican) senator Joe McCarthy was the "figurehead" of the Truman administration's attempt to identify communist influence in America's social structure is in itself a victory for left wing propaganda efforts.

He didn't start the fire, but he certainly piled on in the quest for egomania. When you get that bombastic about what you pile on to, your image is going to become the image of that cause. And it came back to bite him in the ass. That's why one has to choose one's battles wisely.

Actually, it was the quest for security risks in government departments . . . which was, after all, his job.

... the media managed to blame a single freaking republican for the inconvenience that the commie writers endured. The whole McCarthy (era) is the greatest left wing propaganda victory in history.

If McCarthyism was a "left wing propaganda victory" it can only be because its figurehead dug his own hole and buried himself. Or as Eisenhower called it when it fizzled out, "McCarthy-wasm" :lol:
The notion that (republican) senator Joe McCarthy was the "figurehead" of the Truman administration's attempt to identify communist influence in America's social structure is in itself a victory for left wing propaganda efforts.

He didn't start the fire, but he certainly piled on in the quest for egomania. When you get that bombastic about what you pile on to, your image is going to become the image of that cause. And it came back to bite him in the ass. That's why one has to choose one's battles wisely.

Actually, it was the quest for security risks in government departments . . . which was, after all, his job.

Uh, nnnnnnnnno, that's not what a Senator's job is.

Again for the slow, Joe McCarthy's quest was always Joe McCarthy. He'd stop at nothing in pursuit of his own self-aggrandizement, whether that meant smearing, lying, backstabbing, forgery, whatever. Happily, he got what he deserved -- disgrace.

Uh, nnnnnnnnno, that's not what a Senator's job is.

Again for the slow, Joe McCarthy's quest was always Joe McCarthy. He'd stop at nothing in pursuit of his own self-aggrandizement, whether that meant smearing, lying, backstabbing, forgery, whatever. Happily, he got what he deserved -- disgrace.

Uh, the job of a Senator on the Senate Committee on Government Operations, and the Subcommittee on Investigations, is.

Again, for the slow, prove it or admit that it's nothing but conjecture, opinion, and "someone told me".

Did McCarthy go to far when accusing the US army? Those final scenes of the hearings, when McCarthy has been caught with a doctored photo, a fake letter from J. Edgar Hoover and refuses to honor his oath is sad. As McCarthy, still seated, and raving about communists in government, the committee and press are packing up and leaving. As McCarthy raves on the chamber empties. A most pathetic scene.

Did McCarthy go to far when accusing the US army? Those final scenes of the hearings, when McCarthy has been caught with a doctored photo, a fake letter from J. Edgar Hoover and refuses to honor his oath is sad. As McCarthy, still seated, and raving about communists in government, the committee and press are packing up and leaving. As McCarthy raves on the chamber empties. A most pathetic scene.

Scene? Why do I get the feeling that everything you "know" about McCarthy comes from watching a movie?

You think that really happened? Seriously. It's a movie not a documentary.

Scene? Why do I get the feeling that everything you "know" about McCarthy comes from watching a movie?
I began listening to the Army-McCarthy hearings while in school. I missed a few classes because the hearings were more interesting. I have also watched a film or two of that classic, and the films seems to be authentic. McCarthy seems to be McCarthy and Welch seems to be Welch. I have also read a few books on McCarthy. Have you ever watched a tape or other of the real hearings?

I began listening to the Army-McCarthy hearings while in school. I missed a few classes because the hearings were more interesting. I have also watched a film or two of that classic, and the films seems to be authentic. McCarthy seems to be McCarthy and Welch seems to be Welch. I have also read a few books on McCarthy. Have you ever watched a tape or other of the real hearings?

Did you ever bother to listen to anyone pointing out how you and people like you were utterly duped by the cutting and editing of those hearings? Or have you been laboring under the delusion all these years - on this, as on so many topics - that you had access to the facts and were bearing an informed opinion?

Unlike you, I've seen the unedited film of those hearings, and I've read books from more than one viewpoint. Oh, and I have multiple, functioning brain cells, which is also unlike you.

Did you ever bother to listen to anyone pointing out how you and people like you were utterly duped by the cutting and editing of those hearings? Or have you been laboring under the delusion all these years - on this, as on so many topics - that you had access to the facts and were bearing an informed opinion?

Unlike you, I've seen the unedited film of those hearings, and I've read books from more than one viewpoint. Oh, and I have multiple, functioning brain cells, which is also unlike you.
Good for you, I listened to the hearings while they were taking place. The films I have seen so far fit very well with what I heard on the radio at the time and saw on the nightly television news.
McCarthy is history, bad history if you will, and the name McCarthyism, for many, signifies a use of fear to obtain some type of political control. I also wonder how America's historians view McCarthy and McCarthyism, many have certainly viewed the uncut, unedited films in detail.

Good for you, I listened to the hearings while they were taking place. The films I have seen so far fit very well with what I heard on the radio at the time and saw on the nightly television news.
McCarthy is history, bad history if you will, and the name McCarthyism, for many, signifies a use of fear to obtain some type of political control. I also wonder how America's historians view McCarthy and McCarthyism, many have certainly viewed the uncut, unedited films in detail.

In other words, all you know is the highly-edited propaganda you've been fed because, as always, you're too dumb and lazy to think and research for yourself. BIG shock.

I don't wonder about what historians think at all, because I already know. I personally recommend it over guessing and assuming.

Not so simple. But I see this same mindset every day. It used to be alleging communism with out proof. Now, it's alleging Racism with out any proof. Communist this, now it's RACIST that. Empty accusations without proof using a popular issue to censure any kind of criticism. To shut down those opposed to you, call them the soup de jour critical name.

Not so simple. But I see this same mindset every day. It used to be alleging communism with out proof. Now, it's alleging Racism with out any proof. Communist this, now it's RACIST that. Empty accusations without proof using a popular issue to censure any kind of criticism. To shut down those opposed to you, call them the soup de jour critical name.

Excepting for the fact that McCarthy didn't make any empty accusations, it's EXACTLY the same.

Forum List

Back