Jail is not custody

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
There are times that my brain just cannot follow the logic that judges apply to their decisions.

The Supreme Court said Tuesday investigators don’t have to read Miranda rights to inmates during jailhouse interrogations about crimes unrelated to their current incarceration. The high court, on a 6-3 vote, overturned a federal appeals court decision throwing out prison inmate Randall Lee Fields’ conviction, saying Fields was not in “custody” as defined by Miranda and therefore did not have to have his rights read to him.
“Imprisonment alone is not enough to create a custodial situation within the meaning of Miranda,” Justice Samuel Alito wrote in the court’s majority opinion.

Supreme Court says prison inmates don’t have to be read rights in different investigations - The Washington Post

The prisoner was in custody for an offense. He was not in custody for another unrelated offense. He wasn't charged with the other offense.

Personally I don't think it's logical to force a Police Officer to tell a suspect not to talk before asking him to talk.

There are times that my brain just cannot follow the logic that judges apply to their decisions.

The Supreme Court said Tuesday investigators don’t have to read Miranda rights to inmates during jailhouse interrogations about crimes unrelated to their current incarceration. The high court, on a 6-3 vote, overturned a federal appeals court decision throwing out prison inmate Randall Lee Fields’ conviction, saying Fields was not in “custody” as defined by Miranda and therefore did not have to have his rights read to him.
“Imprisonment alone is not enough to create a custodial situation within the meaning of Miranda,” Justice Samuel Alito wrote in the court’s majority opinion.

Supreme Court says prison inmates don’t have to be read rights in different investigations - The Washington Post

His Honor's opinion is solid. He doesn't say that being in jail isn't being in custody, it obviously is. He merely says that for the purposes of Miranda it is not custody.

By the way , when you are pulled over for a traffic violation, you are in "custody" but the cop who pulls you over is under no obligation to Mirandize you before questioning unless he actually arrests you. I think that's the basis for which the Court made this ruling.

‘You are free to terminate this interrogation and return to your cell,’”

Well heck, somebody was stupid.

Where can I buy stupidity insurance? Might need it some day.

Forum List

Back