It's Robert E. Lee Day, January 19th: How Will You Celebrate This Hero, Southern Pride And Heritage?

It will pass un noticed as it should. The man was a traitor and deserves his place of infamy in History.
1. you are a loyal Union man

2. your home State leaves the Union

3. can you take sides against your own family, friends and neighbors?

1. You are a loyal Union Man

2. Your home state violates the covenant between the States in that Union by choosing to leave it.

3. The new covenant between the States that it joins attacks the nation you were supposedly loyal to

4. You join the attackers.

5. You deserve whatever ass kicking that comes your way for betraying your "values" (if he had any to start with).

He picked a fight he couldn't finish.
You didn't answer the original question...

Could you fight against your family and friends and neighbors, or stand idly by, while others attacked them, when you had a particular talent, useful for their defense?

If you answer "yes", then there is something very, very wrong with your soul.

As to him picking a fight he couldn't finish...

The measure of a man is not whether he stands by his neighbors or abandons them, based upon the odds...

The measure of a man is when he stands by his neighbors, regardless of the odds...

Robert E. Lee passed that test with flying colors...

It will pass un noticed as it should. The man was a traitor and deserves his place of infamy in History.
That would be the simple minded one dimensional view of history.

It does pass un noticed for 99% of the nation. Fact.
The man was a traitor. Fact.
Lee is only remembered as a failure who got a lot of people killed for no reason. Fact.

He did surrender very quickly after getting his ass whooped time and time again on every frontier. That I'll give him. He's probably the greatest General there was when it comes to total surrender.
Oh well that's much different. Thank you for that deep, nuanced interpretation of historic figures and events.

Hmmm. Well....it sure is well documented in history books that the first shots of the Civil War were fired at a federal supply ship in Charleston harbor that was trying to restock Fort Sumter when cadets from The Citadel fired on it with rifles followed by volleys of cannon fire from the confederate forts on James Island and Sullivan's Island.

But.....maybe you should rewrite history.

Do you practice missing the point, or is it something that comes naturally to you?
He probably does understand that the founding fathers created a slave republic less than 90 years before the Civil War.
No.

They created a Republic in which Slavery was allowed to continue to exist.

The Northern colonies did this largely in order to secure the support of the Southern colonies for breaking away from England and sustaining that Independence.

The continuation of Slavery was the price a young America paid for Unity during its birthing and its toddler years, when it was imperative to have Unity.

But, as usual, greed, and pompousness, on both sides, got in the way, and pushed us into the abyss, and we paid the price, again, in oceans of blood.

Southerners were seduced and hoodwinked by the Big Money Boys of their times.

Northerners were seduced and hoodwinked into playing puppet and muscle for the Liberal Abolitionists of their times.

Both sides were full of shit clean up to their ears.

Common Folk on both sides of the divide routinely sided with their Home States - their families and friends and neighbors.

The Southern Cause was wrong, in the final analysis, but it was well-masked in other, loftier motives, so-called, and valiantly fought against great odds.

Bobby Lee, a greatly admired and respected professional officer in the US Army, of long and meritorious service, got the nod, to command much of Virginia's defense force.

And he did so well that he was soon catapulted to chief strategist and tactician of the main Southern host, in the East, where the main action unfolded.

He out-fought and out-generaled the North for a very long time, and damned-near pulled-off a miracle or two, as well as screwing-up royally, once or twice.

His men were willing to follow him into the Gates of Hell, if need be, and that, too, speaks volumes about the leadership and character of that great man.

He was a worthy adversary, much feared and well respected amongst his enemies, whose own opinion I'll take over that of revisionists at a distance of 150 years.

Uh huh, maybe now you can explain how the founding fathers didn't create a slave republic.
Already did.
No.

2. Your home state violates the covenant between the States in that Union by choosing to leave it.

3. The new covenant between the States that it joins attacks the nation you were supposedly loyal to

5. You deserve whatever ass kicking that comes your way for betraying your "values" (if he had any to start with).

Could you fight against your family and friends and neighbors, or stand idly by, while others attacked them, when you had a particular talent, useful for their defense?

The measure of a man is not whether he stands by his neighbors or abandons them, based upon the odds...

The measure of a man is when he stands by his neighbors, regardless of the odds...

...too bad he left so many dead by ignoring those odds. But WTF, it's easy to put other people's kids in harms way, just ask George W. Bush and Dick Cheney.

On January 19th, Americans will celebrate a true hero, a national treasure of Southern Pride and White Heritage. Robert E. Lee is a true icon and he should be remembered as such. How will you celebrate this remarkable gentleman?

Hero? Under his leadership, how many young southern boys never lived to become adults? He was a traitor to the United States and the families on both sides whose sons never came home.

I've walked the fields at Gettysburg, and the Land between the Lakes, and other battlefields in between and other National Cemeteries including his once homestead at Arlington.
Ive walked them too.
Ive also walked through DC where the riots were in 68, I actually rode through the area while they were going on.
Does that make me an expert on that era? Don't think so. No more than your walking an empty field of grass makes you an expert on the civil war.

Did I claim expertise? No, and that makes you a liar.

R. E. Lee was a traitor, that is not in dispute. He sent boys to their deaths for a cause to keep slaves in slavery. Let's not pretend any differently.

No, we wouldn't want to pretend that. Instead let's just pretend that history fits neatly into cartoon like characterizations......I'm sure that works much better.

On January 19th, Americans will celebrate a true hero, a national treasure of Southern Pride and White Heritage. Robert E. Lee is a true icon and he should be remembered as such. How will you celebrate this remarkable gentleman?

Hero? Under his leadership, how many young southern boys never lived to become adults? He was a traitor to the United States and the families on both sides whose sons never came home.

I've walked the fields at Gettysburg, and the Land between the Lakes, and other battlefields in between and other National Cemeteries including his once homestead at Arlington.
Ive walked them too.
Ive also walked through DC where the riots were in 68, I actually rode through the area while they were going on.
Does that make me an expert on that era? Don't think so. No more than your walking an empty field of grass makes you an expert on the civil war.

R. E. Lee was a traitor, that is not in dispute. He sent boys to their deaths for a cause to keep slaves in slavery. Let's not pretend any differently.

No, we wouldn't want to pretend that. Instead let's just pretend that history fits neatly into cartoon like characterizations......I'm sure that works much better.

That's ^^^ not a rebuttal. Try again.

Ive walked them too.

That's ^^^ not a rebuttal. Try again.
Rebuttal of what? I didn't know you'd made an argument.

...too bad he left so many dead by ignoring those odds. But WTF, it's easy to put other people's kids in harms way, just ask George W. Bush and Dick Cheney.
Oh, puh-leeeeze... like Ulysses S. Grant wasn't called "The Butcher",eh? And, battle for battle, Lee turned in far fewer casualties than most of his Union counterparts ever did.

Oh, puh-leeeeze... like Ulysses S. Grant wasn't called "The Butcher",eh? And, battle for battle, Lee turned in far fewer casualties than most of his Union counterparts ever did.

That may be true, and yet Lee was a graduate of West Point, and rejected his duty to the nation and his colleagues at West Point. He was a traitor, no less so and much more so than Benedict Arnold. He dishonored the corp; his homestead was taken from him, rightly so to honor the real patriots of that war and those to follow - many of whom gave their life for The Union.

Rubbish.

Neighborhood support is the measure of nothing. You support an enterprise that is devoid of human decency and a merchant of darkness, you become part of that indecency and darkness. Irregardless of attempting to characterize it as nobility.

Perhaps the greatest case ever of "just desserts" was what happened to his home.

No. It would have moved slaves to factories.
Not if it costed non-slaves jobs.
Are you kidding me? Plantation slaves cost non-slaves jobs.
Not the type that would have been part of an industrialized society. Slaves did essentially the same work that illegals do now.
Are you going to make the case that slaves weren't intelligent enough to work in factories or that non-slaves wouldn't do farm work?
The argument is about the balance that produces the most efficient economy. Slaves were not going to do the manufacturing work that non-salves would need. The less that field work that was necessary would be reflected in the reduction of slavery. Slavery would have become obsolete.
Why to you imagine slaves would not do manufacturing work?

Ive walked them too.

Always good to see someone post that has no idea how slavery became an issue in the civil war.
Hint, its not what the war was fought over.

Not if it costed non-slaves jobs.
Not the type that would have been part of an industrialized society. Slaves did essentially the same work that illegals do now.
Are you going to make the case that slaves weren't intelligent enough to work in factories or that non-slaves wouldn't do farm work?
The argument is about the balance that produces the most efficient economy. Slaves were not going to do the manufacturing work that non-salves would need. The less that field work that was necessary would be reflected in the reduction of slavery. Slavery would have become obsolete.
They would cut into whites's jobs. A successful industrial economy needs a working class.

Ive walked them too.

Always good to see someone post that has no idea how slavery became an issue in the civil war.

Oh, pray tell, what do you believe was the issue the South choose to succeed from the Union?

Ive walked them too.

Oh, pray tell, what do you believe was the issue the South choose to succeed from the Union?
Instead of showing your ignorance of history, how about you do a little research and discover the truth.
Slavery was not the reason.

They would cut into whites's jobs. A successful industrial economy needs a working class.

As if individual business owners gave two shits (today or back then) about the economy in the macro. They care only about themselves and cutting every imaginable corner to maximize profit or shareholder value.

Ive walked them too.

Idiots like him who have an 'issue' with race always hysterically deny that the war had anything to do with slavery.

Ive walked them too.

Idiots like him who have an 'issue' with race always hysterically deny that the war had anything to do with slavery.
so another person that has no idea why slavery came into the civil war?

so another person that [sic] has no idea why slavery came into the civil war?

I know that slavery was the underlying cause of every issue that led to the American Civil War, and I know that you are a dope trying to pretend that the view through the prism of your bias and ignorance has anything to do with reality.

Forum List

Back