Is it time to start prepping and what will the SHTF scenario look like?

I'm a geologist, and have worked with radioactive materials for longer than you have been alive in all probability. You only worry about rapidly decaying isotopes.

So everyone else is wrong or lying?
To be honest I was shocked to learn that so little time was required.
And as I said,dont drink or eat anything in the area until you're clear of the fall out.
Seriously do some research and come back and tell me where these people are wrong.
It's an important issue to me and mine since we live in a certain fallout path.

So everyone else is wrong or lying?
To be honest I was shocked to learn that so little time was required.
And as I said,dont drink or eat anything in the area until you're clear of the fall out.
Seriously do some research and come back and tell me where these people are wrong.
It's an important issue to me and mine since we live in a certain fallout path.

The reality is that isotopes with short half lives (measured in weeks, or days) are dangerous as hell. They emit gamma radiation at prodigious rates and that's what gives you radiation sickness.

The slow half life isotopes primarily emit Alpha, and Beta particles. Both of which are stopped by a sheet of paper. So long as you don't ingest those isotopes, you will be fine. Even if you did ingest them, you will most likely die of heavy metal poisoning long before the radiation kills you.

I have traveled through Chernobyl twice. Once 5 years after the accident, and again after 20 years. Both times I was with a guide, and we each had Geiger counters.

The first time there was significant radiation on both sides of pretty much all of the roads. There was just so much material that had collected in the low lying areas that even though the half lives were relatively short, there was just a ton of material to process.

After 20 years the vast majority was clear. There are still a couple of small pockets that are still "hot", but because the isotopes are of the slow decay variety, so long as you take simple precautions, you are safe.

That's why I say, you wait a month. After a month the rapidly decaying elements have devolved into their daughter elements and expended their gamma radiation. At that point, simple precautions allow safe travel in most places.

Actually you don't.

20 x 30 is probably good enough.

That about what the Amish do per family. It takes a little work often.

15 mins here, 20 minutes there. You can skip some days.

Except that the Amish share what they grow. Some may plant tomatoes, some others potatoes, others b
cabbage. if you don't live in a community like that, you're going to need quite a bit of land to get a rounded diet.

It's happened plenty of times,just not here.
You prepare with the obvious in mind. Food,water,firearms,meds.....etc.
That sort of thing,of course you can go further and the further ya go the more likely you'll weather whatever happens.
Got an example of such an event so I might understand what you're prepping for?

Are we talking about Mongol hordes or do you have an example of something more timely?

Alaska quake of 1964, Sumatra quake in 2004 IIRC, the Japanese quake in 2011. All were SHTF scenarios. Those are just the natural events.

Venezuela is right now going through a politician caused SHTF moment.

Like I said, you seem remarkably ignorant of history.

The aftermath of hurricane Katrina is a relevant example...
What was the issue there, wind damage, flood waters, or lack of power? I don't recall roving bands of thieves so an arsenal wasn't needed. I guess a generator and a way to stay above the flood waters would be ideal. If you had a car you could leave the immediate area and stay with family or at a hotel.

I guess I'm a prepper since I have a generator, my house is halfway up a hill, and I have friends and family I could flee to.

Alaska quake of 1964, Sumatra quake in 2004 IIRC, the Japanese quake in 2011. All were SHTF scenarios. Those are just the natural events.

Venezuela is right now going through a politician caused SHTF moment.

Like I said, you seem remarkably ignorant of history.
Those natural disasters were bad of course but they were temporary and localized. If you survived the initial event, very likely unless you were at or near the ocean, you would probably have been fine.

Venezuela is a SHTF event but it has been going on for years. How much prepping would get you through that. Having a passport and money would be your best bet.

If you are a prepper, no matter the extent of your preparations are, or if you are thinking about starting, let's discuss.

I have a few questions for starters:

1. What do you think the SHTF scenario will look like?

2. What ways are you preparing for it?

*SHTF = Shit Hits The Fan
Because of Climate change food will become more scarce.
When people get hungry, things get bad.

See France, Russia, and other parts of the world where politics created starvation.
How am I preparing?
I do yoga so when it happens I can kiss my ass goodbye.

I agree, I just think it's not as likely as food and currency issues.

China, Russia, and Islamic Terrorists could attempt to do it. I have thought about a EMP attack a lot lately and Faraday Cages.

Have you thought about what you would do if it happened that the power grid was taken out and how you would prepare?
ACTUALLY...

In any big city the food supplies will last 3-5 days w/o rationing.
W/O power there's no way to transport the food needed to big cities.
Within a few weeks the big cities would turn into killing fields.

Those natural disasters were bad of course but they were temporary and localized. If you survived the initial event, very likely unless you were at or near the ocean, you would probably have been fine.

Venezuela is a SHTF event but it has been going on for years. How much prepping would get you through that. Having a passport and money would be your best bet.

Plenty. The farmers out in the country are doing fine. Those that can hide their product that is.

Got an example of such an event so I might understand what you're prepping for?

Everything I can think of.
Obviously a close or direct hit with a nuke is unsurvivable.
Other than that I'm prepared for just about anything.
Plenty of water,food,firearms and ammo,medical,power,radios,handheld communication,Yo-Yo's and other fishing gear,traps for food,I've pretty much covered anything thats survivable.

The reality is that isotopes with short half lives (measured in weeks, or days) are dangerous as hell. They emit gamma radiation at prodigious rates and that's what gives you radiation sickness.

The slow half life isotopes primarily emit Alpha, and Beta particles. Both of which are stopped by a sheet of paper. So long as you don't ingest those isotopes, you will be fine. Even if you did ingest them, you will most likely die of heavy metal poisoning long before the radiation kills you.

I have traveled through Chernobyl twice. Once 5 years after the accident, and again after 20 years. Both times I was with a guide, and we each had Geiger counters.

The first time there was significant radiation on both sides of pretty much all of the roads. There was just so much material that had collected in the low lying areas that even though the half lives were relatively short, there was just a ton of material to process.

After 20 years the vast majority was clear. There are still a couple of small pockets that are still "hot", but because the isotopes are of the slow decay variety, so long as you take simple precautions, you are safe.

That's why I say, you wait a month. After a month the rapidly decaying elements have devolved into their daughter elements and expended their gamma radiation. At that point, simple precautions allow safe travel in most places.

A nuclear plant meltdown has to be a lot worse than fall out from a nuclear explosion.
It's concentrated in a small area rather than thinly spread throughout a large area.

A nuclear plant meltdown has to be a lot worse than fall out from a nuclear explosion.
It's concentrated in a small area rather than thinly spread throughout a large area.

No, not really. The blast from an Hbomb is orders of magnitude more powerful, and tosses thousands of tons of radioactive material into the atmosphere.

No, not really. The blast from an Hbomb is orders of magnitude more powerful, and tosses thousands of tons of radioactive material into the atmosphere.

A quick search revealed.....

"Nuclear reactors produce more radioactive fission products than nuclear weapons. More of the fission products will settle to the ground following a reactor accident. The radioactive fission products produced in a reactor tend to be longer lived by the time they're released into the environment."

Forum List

Back