Is it time to start prepping and what will the SHTF scenario look like?

Good question, I guess it would depend on what you prepared.

I don't think that it will be as sudden and severe as what happened in those countries so there might be time to properly prepare. Such as the food shortage scenario that I described earlier.

I started this thread because I don't have all the answers and I'm hoping some other people will have at least some answers.
We have hardcopies of all our important documents. That is all the prep I'm going to do until something dramatic happens since, as you say, it will be gradual.

I did try it. You responded as a giant prick first.
So you admit you can be traced by your op address.
What steps have you taken to prevent that?
I won't say what steps I have taken, but I assure you you won't find anything by tracing mine but a private repeater.
I have been at it over 20 years. You newbies are amusing, but still I will be sad to hear about it when you die.

Bull shit. All of your posts, even the first one was condescending and scornful, as was each of your subsequent posts.

And you continue to be a dick with this most recent post. We could have a decent and important discussion but you choose to be an ass.

Even a limited nuclear exchange is going to cause a lot of smoke fallout from a city. Because of the nature of a nuclear detonation the "smoke " goes well above the clouds into LEO (low earth orbit) and requires time for it to fall back to earth....it will but it's going to be a while.

No question. In that scenario, no amount of prepping will protect you for more than a short while.

Then there's going to be a LOT of panic and disruption to the economy. Things will eventually calm down from the initial chaos but there's going to be a restoration of society regardless. However....it's not going to be a picnic by any stretch of the imagination.
Fear and the proliferation of firearms is going to kill as many as any nuclear device. (So many don't understand fire control) Also the lack of medicines and disease are going to kill many as well. From diabetics to those with gastric bypass surgery to heart medications and etc. Cholera will get many too.

Firearms will save as many or more than they kill and certainly not as many as the nuclear blast will, but we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

People on an individual basis are ok....but en-masse they are very destructive when scared or hungry for something. And people are going to be looking for the peppers. EVERYONE has visions of hiding in the mountains....but the traveling is going to kill a bunch.
No one is going to be looking for the preppers. How will you or anyone else know who the prepper is? If he or she is truly a prepper, they'll also be armed. Why would anyone seek out the hardest targets when the easier victims are plentiful? Low hanging fruit and all that.

We have hardcopies of all our important documents. That is all the prep I'm going to do until something dramatic happens since, as you say, it will be gradual.

That's your choice. even if it's gradual, there are things that can happen that may prevent those who aren't already prepared from getting prepared. i prefer not to wait until it's too late.

Your plan to preserve your important documents is a good one. One that as of now, I will get started on. thanks.

Do they all? Everyone knows how to hunt? How long will the game last if everyone is hunting them?

I'm not trying to be a PITA, just trying to imagine all scenarios and make people aware that no plan is perfect. It seems you have a good set up but I would caution you to think about "what if?".

Not in Wisconsin.

You call those cities?:auiqs.jpg::icon_sjung:

Even a limited nuclear exchange is going to cause a lot of smoke fallout from a city. Because of the nature of a nuclear detonation the "smoke " goes well above the clouds into LEO (low earth orbit) and requires time for it to fall back to earth....it will but it's going to be a while.

Then there's going to be a LOT of panic and disruption to the economy. Things will eventually calm down from the initial chaos but there's going to be a restoration of society regardless. However....it's not going to be a picnic by any stretch of the imagination.
Fear and the proliferation of firearms is going to kill as many as any nuclear device. (So many don't understand fire control) Also the lack of medicines and disease are going to kill many as well. From diabetics to those with gastric bypass surgery to heart medications and etc. Cholera will get many too.
People on an individual basis are ok....but en-masse they are very destructive when scared or hungry for something. And people are going to be looking for the peppers. EVERYONE has visions of hiding in the mountains....but the traveling is going to kill a bunch.

The proliferation of firearms will save far more people than they take. And those being killed will then not be able to harm others.

Like Ray Shoesmith says, the only reason why assholes do what they do is because no one is allowed to kill them for it.

In this sort of scenario they die in droves.

Bull shit. All of your posts, even the first one was condescending and scornful, as was each of your subsequent posts.

And you continue to be a dick with this most recent post. We could have a decent and important discussion but you choose to be an ass.
You set the example for dickhead. Bye. Best of luck to your dickheaded self.

No question. In that scenario, no amount of prepping will protect you for more than a short while.

Firearms will save as many or more than they kill and certainly not as many as the nuclear blast will, but we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

No one is going to be looking for the preppers. How will you or anyone else know who the prepper is? If he or she is truly a prepper, they'll also be armed. Why would anyone seek out the hardest targets when the easier victims are plentiful? Low hanging fruit and all that.

I'm not suggesting that firearms are not going to work as protection....
But
What I am saying is that scared people, for no real reason other than being fearful, will begin and continue to shoot everyone they come in contact with.
And just traveling through the suburbs of a big city is one of the scariest places to be because you won't see the shot coming.

As far as peppers being hunted?
Everyone knows someone who does some level of prepping....because they talk about it with their "friends". And accurately determining the situation/circumstances you are in is a skill that so many people have a very very difficult time with. Which leads to innocents being hunted or shot unrighteously.

People are not practiced or used to dealing with things like bad advice, ignorant choices, or ignorant people trying to help but doing more damage than good.

There is more to preparing for the SHTF than stocking up stuff. You need to be able to protect yourself and defend your stockpile. This would likely require you to gather with others in a 'compound' of some sort.
The more you know; the less you need to carry. Knowledge is weightless...

I'm not suggesting that firearms are not going to work as protection....
But
What I am saying is that scared people, for no real reason other than being fearful, will begin and continue to shoot everyone they come in contact with.
And just traveling through the suburbs of a big city is one of the scariest places to be because you won't see the shot coming.

True, there will be some of that.

As far as peppers being hunted?
Everyone knows someone who does some level of prepping....because they talk about it with their "friends". And accurately determining the situation/circumstances you are in is a skill that so many people have a very very difficult time with. Which leads to innocents being hunted or shot unrighteously.

It's much more likely, imo, that those people who know preppers but are not preppers themselves will more than likely decide to join them rather than fight them.

People are not practiced or used to dealing with things like bad advice, ignorant choices, or ignorant people trying to help but doing more damage than good.

True that.

A collapse might be very sudden. Consider the huge solar coronal mass ejection which hit the Earth in 1859 and is usually called the Carrington Event. Such a CME today would completely disable the power grid, possibly for years, in minutes as well as disable any vehicle with solid state ignition. Also all devices, appliances, etc. which rely on transistors would be fried. Consider that disabling computers alone would wreck the financial system. No wise person would rely on prepping once things start going bad.

A collapse might be very sudden. Consider the huge solar coronal mass ejection which hit the Earth in 1859 and is usually called the Carrington Event. Such a CME today would completely disable the power grid, possibly for years, in minutes as well as disable any vehicle with solid state ignition. Also all devices, appliances, etc. which rely on transistors would be fried. Consider that disabling computers alone would wreck the financial system. No wise person would rely on prepping once things start going bad.

I started this thread to discuss all possible scenarios, not that you aren't correct, you are, but he's talking about the very likely scenario that happens gradually. Such as the Global Elites taking complete control and deciding that we common folk need to be thinned out.

It may be slow, fast, or not happen at all. Since I don't know the SHTF future it is hard to prepare for it so I'm not going to expend resources and effort until there is something concrete to react to.

Spot on.

Yes.

I live on a lake, no problem for me but good advice. many companies sell water purification devices but simply filtering and boiling works well too.

White rice and most other commercially sold rice is almost devoid of nutrients. Proteins in beans yes.

Maybe, but few people know how to do it right, me being one of them. Here in the suburbs, I'm pretty sure hungry neighbors will steal from my garden whenever they get a chance.

Yes.

Good advice. i bought a good source for that a while ago. Can't remember the name of it but it's a survival guide. Did you know that parts of the Cat Tails that grow in lakes are edible and nutricious?

Yup.

The main thing about rice & beans is the combination of the two. Eaten alone, they provide minimal nutrition but eaten together is much more beneficial. Anything commercially grown is lacking. You can grow your own rice and there are some that don't need a wet paddy.

Living in the burbs.......the best defense is a good offense. SHTF and HOA rules are null & void......get to know your neighbors and get everyone to contribute to their own survival. If they have any stake in it, they'll also help protect it.

IIRC, it's the tuber or rhizome of the cattails that are edible??? And so are carrot tops and other parts of veggies that most people throw away. Kale isn't a big favorite of most people, but those types of greens you're not fond of eating straight up can be dehydrated and ground to a powder to be added to meals and helps boost the nutritional value. A teaspoon or so of the powder mixed in, won't effect the taste, but will give added benefit.

Learn to have and/or make your own condiments and spice mixes. It will help alot of you are stuck with rice & beans to be able to change up the flavor and avoid food fatigue or whatever it's called.

If you have pets or other animals, have plenty for them too (food & water) AND know how to make a healthy homemade version in case you run out of store bought. Keeping the critters happy and they can be your eyes & ears and even security force.

It's a good idea to look back on history to learn how civilization ever survived before Walmart and modern conveniences. Other history is how people survived the Depression and WW2 rationing. Not just here, but in the UK who were worse off than we were

T

The point is, don't talk. You want to protect your shit? Shut the fuck up and nobody knows what you have or where it is.

No one in the real world, aside from my best friend and two relatives, have a clue about what I have in my possession.

That's the way it's supposed to be.

Forum List

Back