Is America A Christian Nation?

Well more and more of us are leaving the Christian faith and at the same time, more and more muslims are moving in.

I know this is hard for you to understand, but Christianity isnt just a parent-child religion. We grow through conversion. So while you may leave the faith, others will convert, probably even your own children.

Your only hope is that the hispanics continue converting to Catholocism.

Most hispanics are already Catholic. They really dont need to convert to Catholicism to make the Christian presence grow in America. They just need to immigrate

And you can't wish for a lot of them to come over, because they vote Democratic. :lol:

I dont think that's necessarily true. Especially by the time Obama is done with us.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

That's the part you ignore.

No. Its not ignored at all. No church is established as the State Church. Doesnt mean the nation isnt Christian or built on Christian values.

Reading through the thread I think people are talking past each other. They are defining "Christian nation" differently. And when each person makes an argument they use their personal definition of Christian nation.

Needless to say, this discussion is going to go no where fast.

So let's start with a basic question:

What is a Christian nation?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

No. Its not ignored at all. No church is established as the State Church. Doesnt mean the nation isnt Christian or built on Christian values.

Sorry, but I think you misinterpret this, this does not mean to establish a church or religion, it's "make no law respecting an establishment of religion", in other words showing favor to one over the others.

If this nation were to enact strict laws based on Christianity, most conservatives would be disappointed.

They'd have to be, you know....conservative again.

Christopher Hitchens was a guest on Hardball tonight along with Kenneth Blackwell, from the Family Research Council, to discuss Newsweek's recent cover story titled "The End of Christian America." The story highlighted a poll showing that while 62 percent of Americans considered the U.S. a Christian nation, a staggering 68 percent say religion is losing its influence on American life.

Hitchens debated Blackwell about this, with Hitchens declaring a crisis of faith in the country, one that shows a decisive tide is turning against the forces of religion. Blackwell disputed this, arguing that the influence of religion ebbs and flows but won't ever really fade away because we are fundamentally a Christian nation going all the way to the Founding Fathers. Hitchens vehemently fought back against this notion.

As usual with Hitchens, the debate was heated and interesting. Watch it below.

Christopher Hitchens Debates Kenneth Blackwell About Religious Influence In America (VIDEO)

Christopher Hitchens took Ken Blackwell to school last night. He made the religous right look stupid.

:lol: I'm sure Mr. Hitchens did an excellent job of that too, although the religious "right" does a great job of looking stupid all by themselves.

Sorry, but I think you misinterpret this, this does not mean to establish a church or religion, it's "make no law respecting an establishment of religion", in other words showing favor to one over the others.

Exactly. The religious "right" (quotes intentional) deliberately misinterprets that part of the First Amendment. It would be more accurate to say it purposely MISLEADS gullible people into believing this as well. The founding fathers wrote the first words of the First Amendment to PREVENT any one religion from being favored as the "national religion" and that INCLUDES christianity.

Hitchens is a convinced aetheist and Blackwell is not in the same league as a debater.

Frankly, I don't care what Hitchens or anyone else thinks of religion. But one thing is clear, there is no reason to question something unless there is motivation to end or replace it.

We can argue here as to whether America is a Christian nation. The arguement is meaningless. Christianity in America will not be unseated and either will their tolerance for others of different or no faith.

What "tolerance" is that? I've seen very little evidence of that from the "christian" camp toward others who are either non-christian or non-believers, not to mention anyone who is of a different sexual orientation or race.

What "tolerance" is that? I've seen very little evidence of that from the "christian" camp toward others who are either non-christian or non-believers, not to mention anyone who is of a different sexual orientation or race.

You know, the gracious tolerance of the self righteous "majority" bent on reinforcing one another's paradigms.

The same folks who can't pray in school without peer support.

Actually, no RELIGION is established as the state religion. Hope that helps.

I dont really see how we are disagreeing. there is no state religion. That doesnt make us any less a Christian nation.

We aren't a Christian nation just because a large number of our citizens nominally label themselves as Christian. When we describe our nation state we would say that we value religious freedom, and that we have a diversity of citizenry, atheist, non-theist, and all manner of Deists--including many Christians.

Exactly. The religious "right" (quotes intentional) deliberately misinterprets that part of the First Amendment. It would be more accurate to say it purposely MISLEADS gullible people into believing this as well. The founding fathers wrote the first words of the First Amendment to PREVENT any one religion from being favored as the "national religion" and that INCLUDES christianity.

That point is key to this discussion. Those in the worldnetdaily camp deliberately call America a Christian nation, because that is their aim. They want to transform our religiously diverse country--based on the Constitution into one that create Christianity as the state religion.

This seems like a war of words--but it is more than that--and they know it. It is purposeful distortion with a specific aim.

Well more and more of us are leaving the Christian faith and at the same time, more and more muslims are moving in.

I know this is hard for you to understand, but Christianity isnt just a parent-child religion. We grow through conversion. So while you may leave the faith, others will convert, probably even your own children.

Your only hope is that the hispanics continue converting to Catholocism.

Most hispanics are already Catholic. They really dont need to convert to Catholicism to make the Christian presence grow in America. They just need to immigrate

And you can't wish for a lot of them to come over, because they vote Democratic. :lol:

I dont think that's necessarily true. Especially by the time Obama is done with us.

Gosh, booboo, not only are you stupid, you're a bigot as well. Making assumptions about people based on their ethnicity, shame on you.

THanks, we have lots of Hispanics in my BAPTIST church. And they all voted Republican. And while my daughter in law voted for Obama this time, she's voting Republican next time because she thinks she's been had.

I dont really see how we are disagreeing. there is no state religion. That doesnt make us any less a Christian nation.

Actually, it does. Christianity is not our state religion. The End.

No one is claiming it is the state religion.

We are claiming its a Christian nation. There's a difference. It's not really that difficult to understand.

This is a nation mostly of Christians, created by Christians, with the Christian principles of freedom and liberty as the founding principles.

Forum List

Back