Is America A Christian Nation?

Never was, isn't now.

Treaty of Tripoli, Article 11, 1797:
As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion, -as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of [Muslims], -and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any [Islamic] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

Unanimously approved by Congress (ie: the founding fathers.)

Source:
Document of Article 11 from the Treaty of Tripoli
Treaty of Tripoli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a nation mostly of Christians, created by Christians, with the Christian principles of freedom and liberty as the founding principles.

Freedom and liberty are principles of the enlightenment, largely formulated and advocated by secularists. Attempting to claim them as your own is laughable. They are no more Christian than they are Jewish, Islamic, or Pagan.

Currently a fallen one and paying the penalties but yes a Christian nation.

Obama should be calling the nation to prayer. He may find this out the hard way. Right now his legacy is likely to be one of the idiot who presided over and accelerated the great fall.

Last edited:
Smartt: If we do not just look back on the history of America, but look face to face with America today, we are NOT a Christian nation. We have, in general, turned away from the God who made this nation great. The meaning of sin has changed, it became an individual's opinion. Tolerance does not have any connection to what is right or wrong, for everything is now relative. There is no sin, only opinions of the measure of "badness" of behavior. Morality cannot be defined, or even measured anymore, for the very measure of it (the Bible) has been watered down with personal interpretations and adjusted to please the people.

We have a President who is as unamerican as they come. He is pro-baby killer, pro gay freedom at whatever te extreme it goes, He wants illegasl to have full rights, and not pay taxes, while being abl to collect them. He has paid the world more attention than America. He is far from a one who proclaims Jesus to be the Messian, though he says he is a Christian. He is selling this nation o the world, and our Constitution is being ripped to shreads as he is bringing our nation into a one world domination.

Christians, real Christians, are starting to peek their heads out and see what is happening, and Christians, real Christians, are beginning to walk with God again. We are beginning to recognize each other, and join in the faith as never before. The local church is no longer the recognized body of Christ in the eyes of God and real Christians. Real Christians are a group that will soon be easily seen by the world, and will be called true believers. They will shine through the fruit of the Spirit, as they should have been all along. Rea Christians will truly love their neighbors, but the lack of tolerance for sin will begin to actually show that love. Prayer will be continuous, and mostly silent. The world will not understand what is happening with Christians, but they will not be able to dey that God is in it.

America will never be a Christian nation again, much to the loss of her citizens. Immorality will be the ruler, and already is in many ways. Right will be (ad already is in many ways) wrong, and wrong will be right. That is all happening as we speak.

We are in a changing world, and there is coming a time when the world will not be able to tolerate herself. However, Real Christians will be demonstrating love in the midst of hatefullness toward them. We will shine in the darkness as never before. We will be cared for by God and not government. We will survive by His Spirit, not a job or welfare. We will have a joy that the world will not be able to understand. We will be on our knees askinf forgiveness for everey little sin, and God will bless. If the world is blessed, it will be through the Christians. Note I did not say that the Christians will bless the nation, God will, through Christians.

Well, I have rambled on long enough. I believe these things are here and now. Soon eyes will be opened, ad people will see it.

God bless America.

Never was, isn't now.

As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion, -as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of [Muslims], -and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any [Islamic] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

Source:

Once again. The discussion isn't whether we are a theocracy, but whether we are a Christian nation.

We are. English must be the second language of you idiots, because it's been explained a dozen time. As a democracy made up mostly of Christians, we are a Christian nation.

Obama should be calling the nation to prayer. He may find this out the hard way. Right now his legacy is likely to be one of the idiot who presided over and accelerated the great fall.

Obama should put a bounty on people like you. I think it would be a great opportunity to start a company that hunted down fundis. Think of all the new jobs created!

Never was, isn't now.

Source:

Once again. The discussion isn't whether we are a theocracy, but whether we are a Christian nation.

We are. English must be the second language of you idiots, because it's been explained a dozen time. As a democracy made up mostly of Christians, we are a Christian nation.
The fact that the majority of Americans go to church on Christmas and Easter doesn't make the United States a Christian nation. Most people seem not to be Christians in practice; our nation's character is decidedly not Christian. Our system of laws and our government are decidedly not Christian. The United States is, for better or for worse, a secular nation. Our founders' proscription of interplay between religion and politics can be seen from the beginning, in documents such as the Treaty of Tripoli.

Why you can't come to terms with this I don't understand. There's no need to play games with semantics... the fact that we aren't a Christian nation doesn't mean that you can't be a freely-worshiping Christian.

This is a nation mostly of Christians, created by Christians, with the Christian principles of freedom and liberty as the founding principles.

Freedom and liberty are principles of the enlightenment, largely formulated and advocated by secularists. Attempting to claim them as your own is laughable. They are no more Christian than they are Jewish, Islamic, or Pagan.

Wrong again. Freedom and liberty are principles of enlightenment, largely formulated and advocated by CHRISTIANS, you idiot. You are proclaiming your ignorance of world history repeatedly in this thread. Please stop.

Baptists are the reason there's a separation of church and state. Quakers modernized our prisons and until laws were passed Quaker women would actually go INTO the prisons and minister to the children and women incarcerated there.

The underground railroad..abolition...Christian movements. The Declaration of Independence, the declaratory document of the premier nation in power, wealth, and quality of living in the world, EVER....a Christian declaration, which states we are given certain things by GOD that no man has the right to take away.

What a fucking idiot you are. But please, continue to revise history to suit yourself.

The Quakers have led an interesting part in America's History. I am trying to learn more about them, because of their views on a lot of things I agree with.

The Society of Friends (Quakers) has been influential in the history of the world. The state of Pennsylvania, in the United States, was founded by William Penn, as a safe place for Quakers to live and practice their faith. Quakers have been a significant part of the movements to abolish slavery, promote equal rights for women, and end warfare. They have also promoted education and the humane treatment of prisoners and the mentally ill, through the founding or reforming of various institutions.

History of the Quakers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wrong again. Freedom and liberty are principles of enlightenment, largely formulated and advocated by CHRISTIANS, you idiot.
Let's see if you can muster up the mental energy needed to carry on a civil, insult-free discussion.

That some enlightenment thinkers were nominally Christians doesn't make a difference unless their philosophies were based on Christian ideals, which they weren't. Locke's tabula rasa theory, for example, directly contradicted the Biblical doctrine of original sin, as well as the Christian belief in innate notions of good and evil and natural inclinations towards one or the other. The whole idea of the Enlightenment, in which thinkers recognized reason as the sole source of legitimate guidance and authority, was born out of a rejection of guidance by faith. Thomas Paine, whose philosophy contributed most directly to the American revolution, criticized Christianity endlessly. Hobbes' works were prohibited by the Catholic church.

You are proclaiming your ignorance of world history repeatedly in this thread. Please stop.
World History is one thing I am not ignorant of.

Baptists are the reason there's a separation of church and state.
Not exactly.

Quakers modernized our prisons and until laws were passed Quaker women would actually go INTO the prisons and minister to the children and women incarcerated there.
...and this has what to do with us being a Christian nation?

The underground railroad..abolition...Christian movements.
Christians played a part in both movements but completely claiming them for Christianity is inaccurate. For example, the role that the transcendentalists played in abolition can't be ignored.

The Declaration of Independence, the declaratory document of the premier nation in power, wealth, and quality of living in the world, EVER....a Christian declaration, which states we are given certain things by GOD that no man has the right to take away.
Christianity has no monopoly on God. The Declaration was written by a man who had this to say about Christianity:

"Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burned, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make half the world fools and half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the world..."

He's currently rolling in his grave after you hearing you call it a "Christian Declaration."

What a fucking idiot you are. But please, continue to revise history to suit yourself.
I don't have to revise history to support my positions. Your habit of doing so and your puerile proclivity for engaging in schoolyard name-calling don't make your argument any more compelling.

Wrong again. Freedom and liberty are principles of enlightenment, largely formulated and advocated by CHRISTIANS, you idiot.
Let's see if you can muster up the mental energy needed to carry on a civil, insult-free discussion.

That some enlightenment thinkers were nominally Christians doesn't make a difference unless their philosophies were based on Christian ideals, which they weren't. Locke's tabula rasa theory, for example, directly contradicted the Biblical doctrine of original sin, as well as the Christian belief in innate notions of good and evil and natural inclinations towards one or the other. The whole idea of the Enlightenment, in which thinkers recognized reason as the sole source of legitimate guidance and authority, was born out of a rejection of guidance by faith. Thomas Paine, whose philosophy contributed most directly to the American revolution, criticized Christianity endlessly. Hobbes' works were prohibited by the Catholic church.

You are proclaiming your ignorance of world history repeatedly in this thread. Please stop.

Not exactly.

Christians played a part in both movements but completely claiming them for Christianity is inaccurate. For example, the role that the transcendentalists played in abolition can't be ignored.

The Declaration of Independence, the declaratory document of the premier nation in power, wealth, and quality of living in the world, EVER....a Christian declaration, which states we are given certain things by GOD that no man has the right to take away.
Christianity has no monopoly on God. The Declaration was written by a man who had this to say about Christianity:

"Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burned, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make half the world fools and half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the world..."

He's currently rolling in his grave after you hearing you call it a "Christian Declaration."

I don't have to revise history to support my positions. Your habit of doing so and your puerile proclivity for engaging in schoolyard name-calling don't make your argument any more compelling.

What a couple of dildos. You both think your invisible god is the more superior invisible god. The only question is which one of you is fooling yourself the most.

Kalam, you proved nothing except you're a pseudo-intellectual.

That's someone who thinks he's much smarter than he actually is. It's already been discussed and discussed (note I don't say debated because there's no argument) that the principles and inclusion of separation of church and state came directly from Baptists.

And the rest of that silly rambling post is nothing at all except you re-iterating how smart you think you are, but providing no evidence that contradicts anything I said.

Nice try, genius.

Not exactly.

What a couple of dildos. You both think your invisible god is the more superior invisible god. The only question is which one of you is fooling yourself the most.

Congratulations, I think that's the first coherent sentence I've seen you come up with.

Where have I made a statement in support of my own religious beliefs in this entire argument, retard?

Kalam, you proved nothing except you're a pseudo-intellectual.

That's someone who thinks he's much smarter than he actually is.
I've never made a statement on this message board regarding my own level of intelligence. I stated that I'm not ignorant of world history, which is true and doesn't necessarily attest to my intelligence.

It's already been discussed and discussed (note I don't say debated because there's no argument) that the principles and inclusion of separation of church and state came directly from Baptists.
Few, if any, of the founding fathers were Baptists. The only instance I recall concerning Baptists and the separation of church and state is a brief correspondence between a group of Baptists and Jefferson. That took place years after the Constitution had already been drafted and ratified. Separation of church and state, while advocated by many Baptists, was predominantly a principle of Enlightenment-era secularism.

And the rest of that silly rambling post is nothing at all except you re-iterating how smart you think you are, but providing no evidence that contradicts anything I said.
I didn't make a single statement about how smart I believe I am. I provided many specific historical examples supporting my positions, all of which you've failed to address.

Nice try, genius.
I wish I could say the same to you, but you didn't even bother trying to come up with a substantive response. If I'm a pseudo-intellectual blowhard, my points shouldn't be very difficult for someone of your superior mental capability to address, should they?

Where have I made a statement in support of my own religious beliefs in this entire argument, retard?

How did you know I got my tard retarded? You a mind reader?

Obama should put a bounty on people like you. I think it would be a great opportunity to start a company that hunted down fundies. Think of all the new jobs created!

Well, I wouldn't go THAT far. That of putting a bounty on fundies, although the idea is a tempting one.

I'd settle for making up a list of dumb fundie ideas that need to be REJECTED, discarded and forgotten so mankind could finally progress, instead of always staying behind. For me, that would work a lot better.
:eusa_angel:

It depends on how you define 'Christian Nation'.

I agree. If it means a nation composed primarily of christians, then it is a christian nation but then by the same logic it is also a white nation and a brown haired nation. Meaningless, really. If it means that the nation was created for the sole benefit of christians and controlled only by christians, then it is not a christian nation.

Forum List

Back