Is America A Christian Nation?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by sealybobo, Apr 9, 2009.

1. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,132
    Christopher Hitchens was a guest on Hardball tonight along with Kenneth Blackwell, from the Family Research Council, to discuss Newsweek's recent cover story titled "The End of Christian America." The story highlighted a poll showing that while 62 percent of Americans considered the U.S. a Christian nation, a staggering 68 percent say religion is losing its influence on American life.

Hitchens debated Blackwell about this, with Hitchens declaring a crisis of faith in the country, one that shows a decisive tide is turning against the forces of religion. Blackwell disputed this, arguing that the influence of religion ebbs and flows but won't ever really fade away because we are fundamentally a Christian nation going all the way to the Founding Fathers. Hitchens vehemently fought back against this notion.

As usual with Hitchens, the debate was heated and interesting. Watch it below.

Christopher Hitchens Debates Kenneth Blackwell About Religious Influence In America (VIDEO)

Christopher Hitchens took Ken Blackwell to school last night. He made the religous right look stupid.

2. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Some Christians like to think America is a Christian nation. America is a plurality. We have no state religion.

3. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    It depends on how you define 'Christian Nation'.

4. Iriemon

Iriemon VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99
  5. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,132
    The more I learn, the more I realize that the GOP is wrong about just about everything. They talk about the founding fathers and the constitution, and really, they don't know what they are talking about.

This guy from England last night took Ken Blackwell to school with his knowledge on this subject. Ken Blackwell was doing the typical Republican thing, talking in broad generalities, and this English guy was using facts to shoot down everything Ken had to say.

For those of you who don't know Ken Blackwell, he's the black guy who was in charge of Ohio during the 2004 election. He gave Bush Ohio's electoral votes before Kerry could ask for a recount.

In other words, he's a neo nut. And it is so obvious that the GOP are trying to stay on their message.

And i think that's great, because all the new young voters don't give a rats ass about abortion, stem cell, gay marriage, etc. So the GOP are going to fall flat on their faces again in the next few elections.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,289
    I think religion is failing for some people because it has lost its positive Christian elements, today it is just another show, a business, and its substance and purpose empty. TV Evangelist preachers making lots of money, building huge babels, giving spirited sermons, grows tiring when the world is full of poverty death and despair. How many of these so called Christians do good things for the people of the world I wonder. And I know many do, but religion is irrelevant when money and war are its objects of worship. What happened to spirit? Given the current emphasis on Armageddon should we care and do they?

wrote this long ago
    Has Religion become a political party and a business? – Political Pass

7. HUGGY

HUGGY I Post Because I Care Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    Blackwell is a sack of steaming liquid shit for many reasons ..his religious views being the least of it.

8. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,035
    Exactly.

There may be no official state religion but there is little doubt IMHO that America is a Christian nation to some degree.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    I think religion fails when the mystical aspects of it go. That has to do with having real Christians whose aim is to be 'Christ-like".

There is nothing wrong with the basic teachings of Christ--Love God (or put another way--love goodness--love the essence nature of awareness) and Love others as Thyself.

Religion has been a poltical football for a long time.

10. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    If that were so, if we were a Christian nation, it would be in the Constitution.
    Do some Christians want to dominate America? Sure.

We are not a Christian nation--even if Judeo-Christianity is the predominant faith. We have Muslims, Hindus, Jains, Mormons and all manner of other faiths--including the freedom to not practice any religion.