Internet sales tax? yea or nay?

Dot Com

Nullius in verba
Feb 15, 2011
Fairfax, NoVA
I'm undecided right now because on the one hand you can get some good deals but on the other, I'm short-changing mom & pop. brick & mortar stores & not contributing to the public purse for firemen, police, state's rainy day funds, etc...

Some states have internet sales taxes tacked onto one's purchases but the majority of states do not recieve any sales tax for internet sales right?

Give me your position & the reason you support it other than the standard response of "its cheaper"

The tax is charged at the point of sale - if any. That is as it should be. If a seller in a different state has to collect both his state's sales tax and yours and then deliver the taxes collected to every other state then how many jobs will be lost over that? How would you go about tracking each sale, the taxes owed and collected and the state the order is delivered to? What a friggin' nightmare!
I use the internet when there is no decent local dealer selling the merchandise I desire. Sometimes I pay sales tax and sometimes I don't but I never pay more than tax for one state and it is usually the state in which the sale originates.

when one makes a purchase they have to include their mailing address (state). That simplifies how the company could jigger their program to compute the tax. I'm sure that some people wouldn't mind paying but they're not going to say so & just abide by existing law which leaves them exempt.

Eventually all intenet sales will boil down to one warehouse on a pier in Los Angeles & all brick & mortar stores will be gone, along w/ their tax revenue, is my fear.

Last edited:
The tax is charged at the point of sale - if any. That is as it should be. If a seller in a different state has to collect both his state's sales tax and yours and then deliver the taxes collected to every other state then how many jobs will be lost over that? How would you go about tracking each sale, the taxes owed and collected and the state the order is delivered to? What a friggin' nightmare!
I use the internet when there is no decent local dealer selling the merchandise I desire. Sometimes I pay sales tax and sometimes I don't but I never pay more than tax for one state and it is usually the state in which the sale originates.

Exactly, it's completely unworkable without an excessive, costly system in place to track and enforce it.

The government gets enough money as it is. They don't need anymore.

when one makes a purchase they have to include their mailing address (state). That simplifies how the company could jigger their program to compute the tax. I'm sure that some people wouldn't mind paying but they're not goping to say so & just abide by existing law which leaves them exempt.

Eventually all intenet sales will boil down to one warehouse on a pier in Los Angeles & all brick & mortar stores will be gone, along w/ their tax revenue, is my fear.

Your fear is unfounded and absurd.

seriosly Bro this is the CDZ. Generally, replies consist of more than one flame sentence. If you don't have anything constructive to add then the FZ is over there --->

Seriously, it's a simple response to a ridiculous assertion. You really think people are just going to stop leaving their homes and never set foot in a store again because they can buy it on the Internet? How do you try on shoes over the Internet? How do you try on that new pair of jeans you want to get over the Internet? You think I'm going to buy that box of nails I need for this weekend's project and pay an extra $6 buck for shipping and wait a week for it to arrive?

Seriously, think before you ask questions and maybe you won't need to ask them.

I'm undecided right now because on the one hand you can get some good deals but on the other, I'm short-changing mom & pop. brick & mortar stores & not contributing to the public purse for firemen, police, state's rainy day funds, etc...

I don't know how they do things in Virginia, but here in South Carolina those police and firemen, and all the other public employees are paid for with property taxes, income taxes, sales taxes on everything else, excise taxes, regulatory fees, licenses, etc. I'm fairly certain you've contributed your due.

Of course, if you're that concerned about it then send your fire department a donation in your spare time. I just gave $20 to the local paramedics when they came knocking at my door a month ago. It's not hard.

Curiously not one shred of evidence has been proffered up by the naysayers. :rolleyes: A LOT of "opinions". they count for..... oh..... nothing in a debate. Thanks for nearly killing my thread 5-posts in :thup: And S.C.? bucs90 lives there and he has posted PLENTY on the Repubs down there killing gov't services :thup: Thanks for wasting my time. :)

Now where was I? Back to an "evidence- based" discussion. I will be returning, off and on, to supply evidence supporting both sides of the discussion. If you wish to "contribute" please bring evidence/links which back up whatever you are saying WHICH I POINTED OUT IN THE OP but, sadly, needs to be repeated.

Last edited:
I'm curious as to why some people think that the mere act of me purchasing an item entitles some government entity proceeds from that sale.

It doesn't.

Unless you want to live in a superpower country with first world services.

Long as you pick a level of services equal to what ya pay. Seems most Americans want (states in this case) the government to be strong, schools first rate, emergency services. That type of thing.

I am borderline. Folks in England got tired of the military cost after wwii. Perhaps you can start working on that with ppl if you want lower taxes.

Oh, when I buy off Amazon the sale was made in my living room so my state should get the taxes. Just seems simple and no different than calling the parts store down the road. This internet thing is no big deal.

Some states have internet sales taxes tacked onto one's purchases but the majority of states do not recieve any sales tax for internet sales right?

Give me your position & the reason you support it other than the standard response of "its cheaper"

I am for it, we have state deficits based on Internet sales, huge revenue for ALL states that have evaporated...

I'm curious as to why some people think that the mere act of me purchasing an item entitles some government entity proceeds from that sale.

It doesn't.

Long as you pick a level of services equal to what ya pay. Seems most Americans want (states in this case) the government to be strong, schools first rate, emergency services. That type of thing.

I am borderline. Folks in England got tired of the military cost after wwii. Perhaps you can start working on that with ppl if you want lower taxes.

Correct. This is important. Some people want it both ways, strongest country in the world but they don't want to pay for it because it might add $20 to the cost of their communist made plasma tv.

It doesn't.

Correct. This is important. Some people want it both ways, strongest country in the world but they don't want to pay for it because it might add $20 to the cost of their communist made plasma tv.

I'm pretty sure your state sales tax doesn't pay for the US Military.

It doesn't.

got to have infrastructure to transport those tanks now.

Why do I get the impression that you're one-sided on this issue? Please make a comment w/ one credible link. ONE!!! This is how the CDZ works. is that too much to ask? You're a maude for cryin out loud!!! :eusa_wall:

Last edited:

got to have infrastructure to transport those tanks now.

Why do I get the impression that you're one-sided on this issue? Please make a comment w/ one credible link. ONE!!! This is how the CDZ works. is that too much to ask? You're a maude for cryin out loud!!! :eusa_wall:

What kind of links are you looking for, exactly? Your question seems to be based almost entirely in personal opinion rather than any particular data or facts.
Maybe if the question was something more like, "Do you think internet sales without sales tax are going to do away with physical stores" then links would be more appropriate.

What kind of links are you looking for, exactly? Your question seems to be based almost entirely in personal opinion rather than any particular data or facts.
Maybe if the question was something more like, "Do you think internet sales without sales tax are going to do away with physical stores" then links would be more appropriate.

Links that pertain to internet sales of goods. I cited a bill that was/is under consideration and a Republican who introduced it. Google is your friend. I'm going to be covering this for days so I don't want to have it settled by..... say..... tonight for instance. Its a work-in-progress.

Last edited:
Most everyone does not want to pay sales tax on internet purchases, but its coming and they are using the need to give brick and mortar stores a chance. Nonesense, anything you can buy in a brick and mortar store is cheaper online by far even with added 6% or so sales tax and you dont have to wait in line.
They will be passing an internet sales tax and you can bet it will be bipartisan. When it comes to grabbing cash they both love it, they just want more from the bottom or the top depending on the R or D after their name.

Times change. Let the brick and mortar stores join the 21st century and start selling online. Why should the rest of the country cater to them? They used to deliver ice to homes too, but then freezers were invented. Should we have taxed them so the ice delivery people could compete?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back