Internet Sales Tax - Get ready to pay even more

As if they're not already raping the American People blind, the SCOTUS today voted in FAVOR of Online Sales Tax.

Supreme Court rules that states can collect internet sales tax on online retail purchases

California and NewYork are going to be the biggest beneficiaries collecting additional BILLIONS per year from consumers.

Of course, it is up to each state to "elect" to do so, but as we know, "Government" at all levels ALWAYS rules in favor of more padding for it's pockets.

This should make The Left ecstatic as they believe in more Taxes. The rest of the population...not so much

It will be interesting to see how they enforce this. A person can be in one state and visit a website hosted in another state and buys something that is in a warehouse in a third state. Which state gets to tax?

Tax is collected at point of purchase - in other words, the state that the consumer lives.

As if they're not already raping the American People blind, the SCOTUS today voted in FAVOR of Online Sales Tax.

Supreme Court rules that states can collect internet sales tax on online retail purchases

California and NewYork are going to be the biggest beneficiaries collecting additional BILLIONS per year from consumers.

Of course, it is up to each state to "elect" to do so, but as we know, "Government" at all levels ALWAYS rules in favor of more padding for it's pockets.

This should make The Left ecstatic as they believe in more Taxes. The rest of the population...not so much

It will be interesting to see how they enforce this. A person can be in one state and visit a website hosted in another state and buys something that is in a warehouse in a third state. Which state gets to tax?
Good question..the State where the purchaser resides..gets the tax

U.S. states set to gain billions in sales taxes after court ruling

I don't like taxes but if Sears has to charge a sales tax then Amazon should have to as well...
They both are as Amazon has a location just about everywhere. It’s the small business that will suffer trying to manage all the taxes. And consumers will be paying more. This is not good for the economy.

Small businesses will not suffer as much as you expect.

With the right software, "managing" all the taxes will be effortless.
It is hardly effortless collecting tax for just one state. Imagine all the forms to file for all states. It will certainly not be good.

Here is the actual case ruling:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/17pdf/17-494_j4el.pdf

While it is a good ruling for the brick and mortar companies, it is ironic that all the activist justices except Ginsberg voted against it, while all the strict constructionist justices except Roberts voted for it.

Tax is collected at point of purchase - in other words, the state that the consumer lives.
Not always true in all states however.

But mostly true in most states.

I don't like taxes but if Sears has to charge a sales tax then Amazon should have to as well...
They both are as Amazon has a location just about everywhere. It’s the small business that will suffer trying to manage all the taxes. And consumers will be paying more. This is not good for the economy.

I can tell that you have never had to compile sales data, download and sort it, then put it onto sales tax forms/websites, and pay it.

For walk-in purchases even out of state, the location of the warehouse governs.

For mail order and internet sales, there are various rules, but generally speaking theDoctorisIn is generally correct that residency of the buyer governs -- but not always.

With 50 states and DC and several territories, there are a plethora of different rules on this topic.

The only NEW thing is that now any retailer with $100K sales or 200 transactions in a state MUST collect and remit sales tax.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/17pdf/17-494_j4el.pdf

Flat taxes such as sales taxes are regressive and unfair.
Where do you think the money comes from to keep up parks and roads?
Unfair tax is unfair tax. What is your point?
Aside from the strict interpretation of taxation, parks are a special case. Not everyone wants to go to parks, and going to parks is not essential to life.
Roads are a bit different, but taxes on fuels do have a correlation to income in that people drive what they can afford and if they choose a stupid, overweight vehicle they should pay.
Still, taxation in general for things for the general good/welfare should be in relation to the benefit to those benefiting from it. Flat taxes are the less fortunate paying for the more.
My point is how do you know what is unfair tax and what is not? If the less fortunate didnt utilize all the things that taxes paid for you would actually have a point but since the less fortunate utilize tax dollars you really dont.
It isn't a question of use, of course. It is a question of those who benefit least paying the same percentage as those who benefit disproportionately more.
Ah OK. I missed your comment about flat taxes.
Sales taxes are flat, although some states exempt some transactions, such as for food, and so those sales become zero rated.

Where do you think the money comes from to keep up parks and roads?
Unfair tax is unfair tax. What is your point?
Aside from the strict interpretation of taxation, parks are a special case. Not everyone wants to go to parks, and going to parks is not essential to life.
Roads are a bit different, but taxes on fuels do have a correlation to income in that people drive what they can afford and if they choose a stupid, overweight vehicle they should pay.
Still, taxation in general for things for the general good/welfare should be in relation to the benefit to those benefiting from it. Flat taxes are the less fortunate paying for the more.
Your own rule simply harkens from Adam Smith in "The Wealth Of Nations" (London, 1775) so you should give credit where it is due.

Funny.

According to Adam Smith in "The Wealth Of Nations" (London, 1775), 'everyone should pay some taxes'.

However the rich should pay more, since they benefit more, and moreover, since they can afford to pay more, according to Smith.

Funny rules.

But basically Smith is saying that if a king needs mo money then he will need to tax his rich nobles more than the working poor subjects of the realm. Because the rich have mo while the po don't.

It is simply pragmatism applied to macro- and micro-economics.

Last edited:
You do know that you were never supposed to enjoy tax free sales. You were supposed to keep track of what you bought and pay taxes voluntarily. No one does. But being required to pay taxes isn't new.
Damm you're smart -- as always -- Tipsycatlover .

Most people don't realize this about the self-assessment requirement.

Self-assessment was obviously NOT working with the sales taxes.

Probably due to the high volume.

As if we don't pay enough already. Sometimes the shipping charge is outrageous!

God bless you always!!!

Holly
The previous now-outdated argument AGAINST taxing internet and mail order sales was the shipping charges.

Nobody buys that old argument anymore however.

This should make The Left ecstatic as they believed he in more Taxes. The rest of the population...not so much
It's about time. It equalizes the playing field with brick and mortar stores.
However you have not thought about nor realized the part about the shipping charges.

We have the conservative judges to thank along with Kennedy. The liberal judges voted against the tax. Goes to show that big government is supported by so-called conservatives. I would love to kick those so-called DAMN conservatives in their collective rear ends. The fact is the original ruling was correct. The online retailers consume no services. Donald Trump supports the higher taxes as well as Republicans. The fact is that the Republican Party has been taken over by Chamber of Commerce types. This means they support higher spending and higher taxes as well.

As if we don't pay enough already. Sometimes the shipping charge is outrageous!

God bless you always!!!

Holly
The previous now-outdated argument AGAINST taxing internet and mail order sales was the shipping charges.

Nobody buys that old argument anymore however.

It is true. In many cases, you have to buy a certain amount to get free shipping. If you are a Amazon seller, you have to pay shipping. It is small businesses that will suffer the most. Also would not surprise me to see states enact taxes that apply specifically to online retailers. That is the license that has been given to states.

I can tell that you have never had to compile sales data, download and sort it, then put it onto sales tax forms/websites, and pay it.

You're right - I haven't had to do that. I have software that does it for me.

I wonder if this will cost American jobs? If all our stuff comes from China any ways, can the tax be avoided through purchase from a foreign seller? I have no knowledge of this stuff, I spent my career at a utility where our customers paid for a service, not for any product we made or owned.

Last edited:
While it is a good ruling for the brick and mortar companies, it is ironic that all the activist justices except Ginsberg voted against it, while all the strict constructionist justices except Roberts voted for it.
This is bad for consumers. Brick and mortar will not benefit.

I wonder if this will costs American jobs? If all our stuff comes from China any ways, can the tax be avoided through purchase from a foreign seller? I have no knowledge of this stuff, I spent my career at a utility where our customers paid for a service, not for any product we made or owned.

Interesting question. I can’t see foreign companies who ship direct to customers in the states collecting sales tax. Looks like this ruling gives foreign companies an advantage.

Forum List

Back