CDZ IMMIGRATION: Not what it is but what it should be.

Check all statements that you support.

• 1. All immigrants must enter America legally.

• 2. A border wall will be built to help keep immigration legal

• 3. DACA kids can stay legally but not their illegal family members.

• 4. DACA kids leaving with family will not have automatic right of return.

• 5. New immigrants will be admitted by merit and not by lottery.

• 6. Chain migration re immigrants will not be allowed.

• 7. Children of citizen parents will be the only automatic citizens.

• 8. Immediate humanitarian aid; otherwise no benefits for illegals.

• 9. There will be a means of issuing short term work visas

• 10. Overstay a visa or come illegally and be forever banned from the USA.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Complex public policies, are the problem.

Immigration is applying for Citizenship, otherwise, it is simple Tourism.

Tourist visas could be renewable annually and include work authorization, for a market friendly fee.

The visa system is already multi-tiered with different visas for tourists, for students, for those who receive permission to work. These are not considered immigrants but simply people here on legal visas.

Green card holders are not required to apply for citizenship but if they do not, and their green card is not renewed, they must leave. Most green card holders are considered 'permanent residents' even though the green card expires in 10 years, and most are on a path to citizenship.

People who come here with the intention of being Americans with all the obligations and benefits that includes are the true immigrants. But the most common definition of an immigrant is somebody who goes to a different country with the intention of residing there permanently.

But I would like not to quibble over the definition of immigrant here as we all know what we mean in current vernacular re the term: illegal immigrant which, though applied incorrectly if we are technical, refers to all persons who are in the country illegally. People who hold bonafide visas or green cards of whatever type are not in the country illegally. And we have a reciprocal agreement with Canada that our citizens may cross that border for short visits or to do business without visas.

It used to be that way with our Mexican neighbors until we started getting so many of their citizens, plus Central and South Americans et al, coming through Mexico settling here illegally plus the drug cartels and other illegal activity crossing the border.
the more complex the public policy, the more expensive it is.

Tourist visas could be renewable annually and include work authorization, for a market friendly fee.

The visa system is already multi-tiered with different visas for tourists, for students, for those who receive permission to work. These are not considered immigrants but simply people here on legal visas.

Green card holders are not required to apply for citizenship but if they do not, and their green card is not renewed, they must leave. Most green card holders are considered 'permanent residents' even though the green card expires in 10 years, and most are on a path to citizenship.

People who come here with the intention of being Americans with all the obligations and benefits that includes are the true immigrants. But the most common definition of an immigrant is somebody who goes to a different country with the intention of residing there permanently.

But I would like not to quibble over the definition of immigrant here as we all know what we mean in current vernacular re the term: illegal immigrant which, though applied incorrectly if we are technical, refers to all persons who are in the country illegally. People who hold bonafide visas or green cards of whatever type are not in the country illegally. And we have a reciprocal agreement with Canada that our citizens may cross that border for short visits or to do business without visas.

It used to be that way with our Mexican neighbors until we started getting so many of their citizens, plus Central and South Americans et al, coming through Mexico settling here illegally plus the drug cartels and other illegal activity crossing the border.

It is not at all complicated or expensive. Visas and green cards are issued for people to legally come here to visit, to shop, to work, to live without benefit of citizenship.

But the laws have become muddled and at times incomprehensible re immigration due to incoherent rules based on 'political correctness', fuzzy emotions, political expediency.

The law right now is explicit: if you are in the country illegally and commit a crime, you are subject to fine, jail, imprisonment, and otherwise you will be deported.

But through mostly illegal applications of the law by previous administrations and the courts, everybody now thinks we need to revamp the policy for illegal immigration.

This thread is to discuss THAT. Those here on legal visas or green cards are not included in that policy.

2. A border wall will be built to help keep immigration legal. No suggestion is made here of definition of 'wall' or what sort of wall, but we must be able to protect our borders.

That wall along the border with Canada will be mighty expensive.

Which is my point.

I suspect you mean a wall along the Southern Border- but that is a relatively symbolic measure. If we really needed a wall to protect us from illegal immigration- we would need a wall along our Northern border also.

Maybe but Canada does a pretty good job of keeping the illegals out of their country. And we haven't had a real big problem with being overrun by illegal Canadians. And Canada is not giving its people instructions on how to illegally enter the USA.

but we must be able to protect our borders.

So you don't really mean we must be able to protect our borders- but that you are concerned about protecting our Southern border because more illegal immigrants come across there.

Pretty much the huge lion's share of illegal immigrants are coming across the southern border. If the Canadian border ever becomes a similar problem, then we can deal with that. Right now there is no need to protect our Canadian border.
First of all, while not the majority, there is a substantial illegal immigration issue through the Canadian border. Second, terrorists have come through the border. So, saying there is no need to secure it is fundamentally wrong.

2. A border wall will be built to help keep immigration legal. No suggestion is made here of definition of 'wall' or what sort of wall, but we must be able to protect our borders.

Which is my point.

I suspect you mean a wall along the Southern Border- but that is a relatively symbolic measure. If we really needed a wall to protect us from illegal immigration- we would need a wall along our Northern border also.

Maybe but Canada does a pretty good job of keeping the illegals out of their country. And we haven't had a real big problem with being overrun by illegal Canadians. And Canada is not giving its people instructions on how to illegally enter the USA.

So you don't really mean we must be able to protect our borders- but that you are concerned about protecting our Southern border because more illegal immigrants come across there.

Pretty much the huge lion's share of illegal immigrants are coming across the southern border. If the Canadian border ever becomes a similar problem, then we can deal with that. Right now there is no need to protect our Canadian border.
First of all, while not the majority, there is a substantial illegal immigration issue through the Canadian border. Second, terrorists have come through the border. So, saying there is no need to secure it is fundamentally wrong.

I'm pretty sure Canada is not intentionally allowing people to enter the USA illegally. Mexico is. When Canada is deliberately encouraging some of its worst to come here, then we can deal with that.

5. New immigrants will be admitted by merit and not by lottery. We are the only developed country in the world that uses a lottery system to determine who gets in.

The United States uses multiple systems to decide in new immigrants:
a) Employment based- which is what you are speaking of
b) Family sponsored immigration- which you refer to later
c) Refugees
d) Diversity lottery- this is restricted to certain countries

Most countries have some version of these programs.

Merit is a double edged sword- while I agree that we should welcome highly qualified and trained individuals- these are the most likely to compete directly with Americans for the best paying jobs.

On the other side- American employers are having a difficult time finding workers for some of the most basic industries- such as slaughter houses and farms- where immigrants are welcome employees and rarely are competing with American workers.

A, B, C are fine. Tho in the case of refugees, there shouldn't be an immediate assumption that they are on a path to citizenship. Refugee status should be treated as temporary. UNLESS the people coming here to STAY ALIVE honestly DECLARE they love the USA and chose to come here on principles. Not simply to survive.

Lottery is brain-dead policy. No logic or reason for that. And family sponsored immigration needs SOME restrictions and pledges of support from the sponsors.

There is no 'right of free movement' across borders. Period.

I'd love to know just where you even get that idea...who legislated that 'right'?
natural rights?

There is no 'natural right' to cross a border when a nation's laws forbid that any more than there is a 'natural right' for you to enter my home without my permission.
apples and oranges; and, yes, you have have a right to trespass, in defense of self and property.

No, you do not. All of us do so all the time, but even pulling into the neighbor's driveway to turn around and go the other direction without your neighbor's permission to do that is classified as a trespass. Nobody has a right to enter the USA without permission. Citizens have automatic permission but even they are still subject to inspection by Customs.
Defense of self and property are considered, natural rights.

What defense of self/property is cause for crashing the border of a sovereign country? What part of immigration code is this? If you're asserting a natural right never coded into law anywhere or sheer anarchy as some of the posters are doing here -- that's REALLY not part of this topic. The US is not run by "natural law" or anarchy and is beyond the scope of this topic... It's not a theoretical debate.

It is interesting to me that the lowest number of votes so far is for No. 3: DACA kids can stay legally but not their illegal family members.

I wish some of you who didn't vote for that one but did vote for some or all the others would provide your rationale for a 'no vote' on that one.

Is it that you think the DACA kids should be able to bring or keep their currently illegal families here? Or that the DACA kids should not be allowed to stay period?

The parents of DACA kids are old. They don't largely drive the labor force. They've been as Americanized as their children. And there's no reason to forcibly separate those families. They've ENCOURAGED and watched their kids to become Americans. They did a great job in most cases. They are the least of our worries.

It is not at all complicated or expensive. Visas and green cards are issued for people to legally come here to visit, to shop, to work, to live without benefit of citizenship.

But the laws have become muddled and at times incomprehensible re immigration due to incoherent rules based on 'political correctness', fuzzy emotions, political expediency.

The law right now is explicit: if you are in the country illegally and commit a crime, you are subject to fine, jail, imprisonment, and otherwise you will be deported.

But through mostly illegal applications of the law by previous administrations and the courts, everybody now thinks we need to revamp the policy for illegal immigration.

This thread is to discuss THAT. Those here on legal visas or green cards are not included in that policy.
we have an illegal problem. with a more market friendly system, we could end our illegal problem on a permanent basis and generate revenue at the same time.

natural rights?

There is no 'natural right' to cross a border when a nation's laws forbid that any more than there is a 'natural right' for you to enter my home without my permission.
apples and oranges; and, yes, you have have a right to trespass, in defense of self and property.

No, you do not. All of us do so all the time, but even pulling into the neighbor's driveway to turn around and go the other direction without your neighbor's permission to do that is classified as a trespass. Nobody has a right to enter the USA without permission. Citizens have automatic permission but even they are still subject to inspection by Customs.

What defense of self/property is cause for crashing the border of a sovereign country? What part of immigration code is this? If you're asserting a natural right never coded into law anywhere or sheer anarchy as some of the posters are doing here -- that's REALLY not part of this topic. The US is not run by "natural law" or anarchy and is beyond the scope of this topic... It's not a theoretical debate.
The right wing claims our Second Amendment is about natural rights.

5. New immigrants will be admitted by merit and not by lottery. We are the only developed country in the world that uses a lottery system to determine who gets in.

c) Refugees

Merit is a double edged sword- while I agree that we should welcome highly qualified and trained individuals- these are the most likely to compete directly with Americans for the best paying jobs.

On the other side- American employers are having a difficult time finding workers for some of the most basic industries- such as slaughter houses and farms- where immigrants are welcome employees and rarely are competing with American workers.

A, B, C are fine. Tho in the case of refugees, there shouldn't be an immediate assumption that they are on a path to citizenship. Refugee status should be treated as temporary. UNLESS the people coming here to STAY ALIVE honestly DECLARE they love the USA and chose to come here on principles. Not simply to survive.

Lottery is brain-dead policy. No logic or reason for that. And family sponsored immigration needs SOME restrictions and pledges of support from the sponsors.

Refugees in my opinion are a different topic with different criteria and different applicable laws than immigrant. I don't want illegals would are unable or unwilling to obtain immigrant status claiming to be refugees just to get ahead of everybody else. So I think refugees should have their own thread, otherwise we will be dragged off into all sorts of international issues and such.

Otherwise we seem to be pretty much on the same page except that I checked #1 through #10 without reservation.

It is interesting to me that the lowest number of votes so far is for No. 3: DACA kids can stay legally but not their illegal family members.

I wish some of you who didn't vote for that one but did vote for some or all the others would provide your rationale for a 'no vote' on that one.

Is it that you think the DACA kids should be able to bring or keep their currently illegal families here? Or that the DACA kids should not be allowed to stay period?

The parents of DACA kids are old. They don't largely drive the labor force. They've been as Americanized as their children. And there's no reason to forcibly separate those families. They've ENCOURAGED and watched their kids to become Americans. They did a great job in most cases. They are the least of our worries.

Well thank you and a gold star for the first one to actually discuss that topic. :)

My problem with the parents is the same as all other of these 'humanitarian' heart breaking type issues. When more than four million people are respecting our laws and patiently waiting to be issued visas through legal channels that would allow them to live and work here, to allow those who thumbed their noses at our laws to jump to the head of the line just seems wrong to me.

I am willing to listen to any persuasive arguments though as to why that would be okay.

we have an illegal problem. with a more market friendly system, we could end our illegal problem on a permanent basis and generate revenue at the same time.

So how would you write the law to produce that permanent fix? I don't want to derail the thread into yet another discussion on economics, trade, et al. This thread is about what the immigration laws should be.

The right wing claims our Second Amendment is about natural rights.

This thread is about what the immigration law should be. Not what the second amendment is about. Not what natural rights are about. It is about what the immigration law should be. Please do not respond to posts that do not address the thread topic because it tends to derail the thread.

c) Refugees

Refugees in my opinion are a different topic with different criteria and different applicable laws than immigrant. I don't want illegals would are unable or unwilling to obtain immigrant status claiming to be refugees just to get ahead of everybody else. So I think refugees should have their own thread, otherwise we will be dragged off into all sorts of international issues and such.

Otherwise we seem to be pretty much on the same page except that I checked #1 through #10 without reservation.

I'll just say that the "refugee" subset is one of the largest and most mis-used types of immigration. That's why it NEEDS a lot of design and clarification..

Whether we're considering taking 50,000 refugees from Syria and other Mid East battlefields a year or encouraging Central American parents to send up 100,000 "unaccompanied" minors as refugees, we can't make the mistake of not asking "why you choose America" as part of any consideration for legal residence.

We can deal with refugees as refugees. Because MOST war refugees from MidEast or distant cultures don't WANT to be Americans. THey just want to survive.

Well thank you and a gold star for the first one to actually discuss that topic. :)

My problem with the parents is the same as all other of these 'humanitarian' heart breaking type issues. When more than four million people are respecting our laws and patiently waiting to be issued visas through legal channels that would allow them to live and work here, to allow those who thumbed their noses at our laws to jump to the head of the line just seems wrong to me.

I am willing to listen to any persuasive arguments though as to why that would be okay.

Thought my argument was VERY persuasive. As opposed to ripping those families apart. The elderly parents are not gonna affect future demographics or the employment pool. And their kids know no other country and are now de facto functional Americans. You're never gonna wedge those families apart thru deportation. The kids are now professionals, or skilled labor US employees for the most part. In one generation that family went from menial labor in the shadows to fully contributing in skilled positions.

Same with families who delivered US citizen children while in the US illegally. Took way too long to address this. Life happens. Need to accept that our political inaction is largely responsible for these awkward calls to SPLIT UP core families. I can't support doing that after 1/2 a lifetime of legal/political neglect.

Thought my argument was VERY persuasive. As opposed to ripping those families apart. The elderly parents are not gonna affect future demographics or the employment pool. And their kids know no other country and are now de facto functional Americans. You're never gonna wedge those families apart thru deportation. The kids are now professionals, or skilled labor US employees for the most part. In one generation that family went from menial labor in the shadows to fully contributing in skilled positions.

Same with families who delivered US citizen children while in the US illegally. Took way too long to address this. Life happens. Need to accept that our political inaction is largely responsible for these awkward calls to SPLIT UP core families. I can't support doing that after 1/2 a lifetime of legal/political neglect.

Well, setting aside for the moment our very real and not unimportant feelings of compassion for the DACA families, how do you square allowing the DACA family to stay while telling the deserving family that has been waiting for years for legal admission that they will have to continue to wait?

Well, setting aside for the moment our very real and not unimportant feelings of compassion for the DACA families, how do you square allowing the DACA family to stay while telling the deserving family that has been waiting for years for legal admission that they will have to continue to wait?

There is no "zero sum" on immigration. At some point you determine what you can absorb due to economic and other considerations. So --- we just enlarged the American family by a bit because of political and leadership ineptitude. THAT realization drives the FUTURE numbers for immigration. I hate using the word quota because it's so unyielding to taking advantage of "good deals".

It's not like if you physically pushed and shoved 4 million broken families back across the border that that would open 4 Million slots for all the waiting. It's not a pie. Doesn't slice like that.

It is just that the law should be fair, reasonable, enforceable, necessary, and above all applied equally without favoritism or prejudice.

So how do you write a law for the DACA families that does not give them favoritism over all others who are applying for visas to work and live in the USA?

Which is my point.

I'm pretty sure Canada is not intentionally allowing people to enter the USA illegally. Mexico is. When Canada is deliberately encouraging some of its worst to come here, then we can deal with that.

In the past Canadian authorities looked the other way when Asian illegals came into Canada and headed into the U.S., and Canada was also a sort of friendly western HQ country for the likes of AL Qaeda and other Islamic terrorist groups. It depends on which Party get elected, and how much we complain about it, and yes they have very much intentionally allowed illegal immigration from overseas to pass through their customs in the past, and probably will in the future as well. Not as bad as Mexico, but not far from them, either.

They like to recruit French speaking Arabs as immigrants, and the reason they don't encourage or have very few South American immigrants and as temp visa workers is that the majority of those almost immediately slip over the border into the U.S., so they import a lot of Pakistanis to pick crops and the like.

Forum List

Back