I’m Going to Get a Crossbow

I know a little (tiny bit - because my cousin is a bow hunter) about bows and have shot one before, but that was a compound bow and not a crossbow. A crossbow operates more like a gun I think where you pull a trigger instead of releasing the bow string. A crossbow would definitely be a lot more practical for self defense use than a compound bow, I can tell you THAT much. :D
Why do you think that?

Because you can't have a compound bow preloaded. You have to load an arrow, aiming it takes longer because you have to steady your hand. It would be very impractical tool for self defense when split seconds matter.
It takes 5 or 6 seconds to load.
What if you miss your one shot? I can shoot 5 arrows on my compound to one on a crossbow.
There is a reason cross bow shooters had a team surrounding them in battle centuries ago..
Is a compound much bigger than a CB though?

Yes. They are big and heavy too. Awkward to handle, but they make ones for women and children too. I just don't think compound bows are a very practical tool for self defense.

iu
most crossbows are bigger and heavier than compounds. Unless you buy a little pistol one or something.

I was just thinking that it would be kind of humorous joke to give a Brit a spork at dinner if they were visiting you. Nope, you cannot have a fork or knife. Too sharp and dangerous, says your government. :D Ha ha!!!

Maybe I just have a kind of warped sense of humor something.

I live in the U.K. where - many of you undoubtedly know - we are not allowed to carry pepper spray, let alone guns, to defend ourselves.

I live in a big city and have been subjected to very violent crime as well as home invasions.

I’m sick and tired of living in a situation where only the criminals have weapons and violent crime is on the rise.

Anyway, I recently read a story where a UK woman shot a home invader in the abdomen with a perfectly legal crossbow!

So, I’ve decided to get one, and will obviously do a lot of research, maybe join a club etc, but I know absolutley nothing about crossbows right now and wondered if any of you fantastic peeps have experience / knowledge of them?

I’m quite a slight girl - so no doubt that would factor into the size/type I would purchase?

TIA for any help

:thankusmile:

It is a start....but more important..... join or start a group and begin the push to get your Right to own and carry guns restored...... your country is where the United States was at in the mid 1960s as violent crime was about to explode...it took us to the 1990s to begin restoring the Right to own and carry guns to our people.....

And when we allowed law abiding people to carry guns...what happened.....all crime was reduced....the anti gunners here said the streets would run with blood...well more blood than was already happening...and they said it each time one of our states moved to pass concealed and open gun carry laws..... and every single time they were completely wrong....and they didn't change their position...they simply hate guns and gun owners...

You need to join the movement.... you have a Right to defend yourself......contact your MPs and the Prime Minister.....it is only going to get more violent in your country.....unless you get your Rights back...

We went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 17 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2017...guess what happened...

--------
-- gun murder down 49%

--gun crime down 75%

--violent crime down 72%

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

I live in the U.K. where - many of you undoubtedly know - we are not allowed to carry pepper spray, let alone guns, to defend ourselves.

I live in a big city and have been subjected to very violent crime as well as home invasions.

I’m sick and tired of living in a situation where only the criminals have weapons and violent crime is on the rise.

Anyway, I recently read a story where a UK woman shot a home invader in the abdomen with a perfectly legal crossbow!

So, I’ve decided to get one, and will obviously do a lot of research, maybe join a club etc, but I know absolutley nothing about crossbows right now and wondered if any of you fantastic peeps have experience / knowledge of them?

I’m quite a slight girl - so no doubt that would factor into the size/type I would purchase?

TIA for any help

Are you sure you are allowed to have one? If you can't have pepper spray can a cross bow be legal?

TIA for any help

Are you sure you are allowed to have one? If you can't have pepper spray can a cross bow be legal?

Probably now that they found out a woman actually used one to protect herself, they will ban them.

The risk of being charged is extremely high, but I don’t care anymore.
If someone invades my home I want to shoot them!

I salute your resolve. "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six."

May I recommend adding a bit of passive defense as well? Create a safe room where you can retreat to in order to load your crossbow and call for help.

Interior doors are flimsy. It's easy to replace or reinforce a bedroom or bathroom door. There's lots of information available on how to make a safe room.

TIA for any help

Cross bows can be hard to lock and load. They have levers you can purchase to help you load. If you are slight you will likey have troubole with this. I would hope that you have a good dog to go along with your protection. Also please note that non dairy creamer can be used as a weapon of mass destruction. Put it in the air and light a spark you will be amazed at what happens. It is indescriminate so make sure a fire extinguisher is present to prevent destruction of your stuff. Burning non dairy creamer will take the fight out of an assailent, put out the fire before it gets to you though! Compound bows will likely have plenty of stopping power inside of a house and would be much easier to load.

TIA for any help

Probably now that they found out a woman actually used one to protect herself, they will ban them.

OR they will just wait until a retard gets one and shoots some people with it. Then they will demonize the weapon and ban it . . . because that will solve murder. ;)

TIA for any help

OR they will just wait until a retard gets one and shoots some people with it. Then they will demonize the weapon and ban it . . . because that will solve murder. ;)
There is a list of common house hold goods that can be weaponized, it would take a while for them to make the list illegal. With a small knowlege of chemistry and a lot of time alone as a kid I made a pretty complete list of them! Old GI Joe died some horrible deaths back in the sixties!

TIA for any help

There is a list of common house hold goods that can be weaponized, it would take a while for them to make the list illegal. With a small knowlege of chemistry and a lot of time alone as a kid I made a pretty complete list of them! Old GI Joe died some horrible deaths back in the sixties!
Shame that you have to be a rocket scientist to defend yourself, while all it really needs to stop an intruder is ...

TIA for any help

Cross bows can be hard to lock and load. They have levers you can purchase to help you load. If you are slight you will likey have troubole with this. I would hope that you have a good dog to go along with your protection. Also please note that non dairy creamer can be used as a weapon of mass destruction. Put it in the air and light a spark you will be amazed at what happens. It is indescriminate so make sure a fire extinguisher is present to prevent destruction of your stuff. Burning non dairy creamer will take the fight out of an assailent, put out the fire before it gets to you though! Compound bows will likely have plenty of stopping power inside of a house and would be much easier to load.

You think? They are so big and heavy though, and you have to look through that little peep site. It's not really easy or quick, IMO.

I think the OP is full of shit.

It's been two hours and still no pictures of her holding her new crossbow!

What gives? You guys don't Have Amazon one hour delivery?

When a person is crazy or on drugs, they can have the strength of ten men it seems. I've seen videos where the cops have tased people multiple times and they kept on fighting. There have been cases (though probably rare) where a person on drugs has been shot with a gun multiple times but keeps coming. I think there was a guy who the cops shot like 6 times but because he was on drugs, he wasn't feeling anything until he dropped to the ground I guess.

When a person is crazy or on drugs, they can have the strength of ten men it seems. I've seen videos where the cops have tased people multiple times and they kept on fighting. There have been cases (though probably rare) where a person on drugs has been shot with a gun multiple times but keeps coming. I think there was a guy who the cops shot like 6 times but because he was on drugs, he wasn't feeling anything until he dropped to the ground I guess.
Cops use a 9mm which is very underpowered for drug users. .357 and up will bring the liberal asshole down, real quick and permanent.

Forum List

Back