I’m Going to Get a Crossbow

I live in the U.K. where - many of you undoubtedly know - we are not allowed to carry pepper spray, let alone guns, to defend ourselves.

I live in a big city and have been subjected to very violent crime as well as home invasions.

I’m sick and tired of living in a situation where only the criminals have weapons and violent crime is on the rise.

Anyway, I recently read a story where a UK woman shot a home invader in the abdomen with a perfectly legal crossbow!

So, I’ve decided to get one, and will obviously do a lot of research, maybe join a club etc, but I know absolutley nothing about crossbows right now and wondered if any of you fantastic peeps have experience / knowledge of them?

I’m quite a slight girl - so no doubt that would factor into the size/type I would purchase?

TIA for any help

:thankusmile:

What you need is the fast loading assault cross bow.

I live in the U.K. where - many of you undoubtedly know - we are not allowed to carry pepper spray, let alone guns, to defend ourselves.

I live in a big city and have been subjected to very violent crime as well as home invasions.

I’m sick and tired of living in a situation where only the criminals have weapons and violent crime is on the rise.

Anyway, I recently read a story where a UK woman shot a home invader in the abdomen with a perfectly legal crossbow!

So, I’ve decided to get one, and will obviously do a lot of research, maybe join a club etc, but I know absolutley nothing about crossbows right now and wondered if any of you fantastic peeps have experience / knowledge of them?

I’m quite a slight girl - so no doubt that would factor into the size/type I would purchase?

TIA for any help

Not sure of your price range, but just about any CB would be sufficient, but make sure you use Broadhead bolts, as they can cut through the toughest of materials..

CenterPoint™ Tormentor Whisper 380 Crossbow Package : Cabela's

CenterPoint™ Tormentor Whisper 380 Crossbow Package
  • Sends bolts downrange up to 380 fps
  • Easy-to-cock 185-lb. draw wt.
  • Quad limbs and CNC-machined cams
  • Whisper Silencing System reduces noise and vibration
  • Auto safety and anti-dry-fire system
Muzzy Trocar HBX Crossbow Broadhead : Cabela's
Muzzy Trocar HBX Crossbow Broadhead
  • Field-tip accuracy and massive, 1-5/8" entry wounds
  • Hybrid construction combines fixed and expanding blades
  • Solid steel ferrule and chisel tip pass through bone and hide
  • Expanded broadheads close when bone is encountered
  • Tapered ferrule matches your bolts diameter
Wouldn’t you know it but I think broadhead bolts are illegal! I will check.
However, the woman who used her CB allegedly had all legal equipment and she managed to shoot the perp right through the guts with whatever she had.

I know a little (tiny bit - because my cousin is a bow hunter) about bows and have shot one before, but that was a compound bow and not a crossbow. A crossbow operates more like a gun I think where you pull a trigger instead of releasing the bow string. A crossbow would definitely be a lot more practical for self defense use than a compound bow, I can tell you THAT much. :D

TIA for any help

But the clip MUST hold 5 arrows or less

TIA for any help

Not with my handy dandy bump clip.

For only $19.99 I'll sell you one with set of Ginsue knives to go along with it!

TIA for any help

For only $19.99 I'll sell you one with set of Ginsue knives to go along with it!

I got me a full auto crossbow and it's bitchin.

However, the woman who used her CB allegedly had all legal equipment and she managed to shoot the perp right through the guts with whatever she had.

The pistol bow is 80lbs.....my old vintage Bear compound bow is 65lbs....this one will put a bolt an inch and half into a phone book at 30' so it will go right through an intruder...then you lock yourself into the bathroom or bedroom and reload.....I doubt they'd stick around for another....$40.

Last edited:

TIA for any help

Hi Tilly!

Check this on Amazon.....the arrows are called "bolts"...this is a pistol-type and self-cocking so it might be what you're looking for. :wink_2:

614qPcJ7FbL._SL1200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IJR2TPU/?tag=ff0d01-20
I like the look of that - and it has a laser sight! The reviews look good too.
It doesn’t ship to the U.K., from Amazon but I’m sure I could find somewhere that does, or maybe even in the U.K. thanks Tom.

TIA for any help

How many arrows can you shoot per minute?

I know a little (tiny bit - because my cousin is a bow hunter) about bows and have shot one before, but that was a compound bow and not a crossbow. A crossbow operates more like a gun I think where you pull a trigger instead of releasing the bow string. A crossbow would definitely be a lot more practical for self defense use than a compound bow, I can tell you THAT much. :D
Why do you think that?

The pistol bow is 80lbs.....my old vintage bear compound bow is 65lbs....this one will put a bolt an inch and half into a phone book at 30' so it will go right through an intruder...then you lock yourself into the bathroom or bedroom and reload.....I doubt they'd stick around for another....$40.
I’ll be reloading!

TIA for any help

How many arrows can you shoot per minute?

I hear it's capable of a gazillion, if I could afford that many arrows.

Why do you think that?

Because you can't have a compound bow preloaded. You have to load an arrow, aiming it takes longer because you have to steady your hand. It would be very impractical tool for self defense when split seconds matter.

If you shoot a person attacking you won't you still be wrong?

Why do you think that?

Because you can't have a compound bow preloaded. You have to load an arrow, aiming it takes longer because you have to steady your hand. It would be very impractical tool for self defense when split seconds matter.

Ok, here is what you do then.

When you shoot someone with a gun, drive an arrow in where the bullet entered, hide the gun, get out the cross bow, and call it a day.

There, problem solved.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back