If you resign and tell management to keep it quiet because you want a quiet exit

fbj

Gold Member
Jul 10, 2014
and no farewell party and they give you one anyway, isn't that very annoying? This woman who resigned told HR and management not to say anything because she doesn't like being on the spot and wanted to leave quietly. But now she is going to get a farewell party anyway and I know she is going to be pissed

I thought you had a right not to want a farewell party when you resign?

Most employers would be happy to do so...
Yet, it makes them look "bad" and many employers don't like being told what to do :)
Assholes!

and no farewell party and they give you one anyway, isn't that very annoying? This woman who resigned told HR and management not to say anything because she doesn't like being on the spot and wanted to leave quietly. But now she is going to get a farewell party anyway and I know she is going to be pissed

If you don't want a farewell party, don't tell anyone in the first place. Go on vacation and resign from there. Methinks the lady doeth protest too much.

If you don't want a farewell party, don't tell anyone in the first place. Go on vacation and resign from there. Methinks the lady doeth protest too much.

I think you're WRONG.
I don't like "big to do's" about my "events" (birthday, retirement etc.) and I hate parties like that.
They seem contrived and phony.
I want REAL love and admiration, not something put on to make a company or person "look good" it's crap.

Business rule # 16-25B ------ Management is not obligated to grant the wishes of employees during said employees' duration of employment. In some cases, employees can protest the decision made by management, but do so at great risk. ( this can be further explained on pages 127 thru 141 of the handbook, "Management's High Throne". )

I go back and fourth on this.

We had a sweet lady who resigned after 30 years on the job when I was working PubSec. She certainly earned the right to go out on her own terms. She told the new asshole boss that she didn't want a big ta-do so they honored her wishes; she got no going away gift and left quietly.

If I were the boss, I would have invited her kids (2) and hubby to the office in secret and would have put together some sort of recognition lasting 10-20 minutes with a cake and a personally purchased gift of gratitude. Thirty years is nothing to sneeze at for one thing. For another, very often kids only know that their parents are going to work in the morning and coming home in the evening. I would have made sure the girls knew that their mom was as dependable as the sunrise for those 3 decades. This opportunity to shine a light on the accomplishment was lost. Finally, it would have been simply nice to do it.

The company I work for do that sort of thing. The head of my department, who really wasn't head, he took the money but didn't do any job that was noteworthy left. They put a notice up saying that this guy had left of "mutual consent", which mean he said he was going and they said, oh, okay.

He wasn't allowed to tell customers either, but he did because he didn't give a damn, and was trying to get them to go to his new place of work.

My previous job I quit and they said "what have you been telling everyone as to why you're leaving?" I said "nothing" which was more or less true, I said I was leaving and going to another place. But then they said "we're saying you have health problems", which was partially true, I quit because the job gave me major headaches because we had to use our brains for 5 hours in a row without any break at all. So it was in fact their practice that made me ill. The only reason others didn't get sick was because they weren't good at the job and didn't have the ability to think about things in the first place. And they wasted a lot of time.

She doesn't have to attend the farewell party.

Well she kind of has to because if not she will look retarded

Well she kind of has to because if not she will look retarded

To who? She specifically asked for no party. They threw her one anyway.

She is leaving. Why would she care?

Who, what, where? I should care because ... ????

Who, what, where? I should care because ... ????

Fuck you

Forum List

Back