If Romney doesn't win, what's next for the GOP?

As a lapsed Republican I have pretty much given up on the GOP.

If getting beaten by an incredibly shallow and incompetent disaster like Obama doesn't wake Republicans up to what an unmitigated disaster they themselves have become, nothing will, and my only hope is that a third major party is born. One made up of sane people.

I am seriously depressed and angry at just how batshit insane the right has become.

You know what's funny, though? I was talking to my mother on the phone the other day. Just for a little background, she was our state's chairman of the ACU during the Reagan years. If you don't know what the ACU is, you aren't a conservative, you're a dipshit.

Anyway, as most of you know by now, I am in favor of gays being allowed to file a federal married tax return and to collect Social Security death benefits and all that stuff. In short, I am "pro gay marriage".

As my parents are old school conservative, even more paleo-conservative then me, I have been withholding my position on gay marriage from my parents out of respect for them. My dad has poor health and I was seriously concerned if he found out where I stood on the issue, it would kill him.

Well, the other day my mother starting going off about how batshit crazy the right has become.

Whaaaaaaaaat?

And somehow during the conversation she revealed she was pro gay marriage?

WHAAAAAAAAAAAT???

I could not believe it. This was a HUGE load off my chest.

And she fricking HATES Romney. And Mitch McConnell.

I could not believe how synched we were on these things.

So maybe there is a ray of hope for the right, after all.

I am also a Very Conservative person who is Pro Gay marriage. I think the Dems Propaganda about conservatives leads people to assume were all Anti this or that, when it's not really the case.

247 fillabusters.

Big problem is that they don't even have to inconvenience themselves by actually standing up and talking anymore. They just have an aide phone-in an "intent to fillabuster" and bang, it takes 60 votes to get around it.

- I'm assuming you're in the double-down column

247 fillabusters.

Big problem is that they don't even have to inconvenience themselves by actually standing up and talking anymore. They just have an aide phone-in an "intent to fillabuster" and bang, it takes 60 votes to get around it.

- I'm assuming you're in the double-down column

LOL

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

I don't understand how anyone could think the GOP losing the WH, but gaining in Both Houses means they need to change the way they have been doing things in the Congress.

The balance of power will be little changed in Congress. The House will be GOP majority, the Senate will be Democratic majority. If Obama wins, the GOP would be very stupid to believe they have some kind of mandate.

I can tell you one thing for sure if Obama wins.

All the Romney piss drinkers we have seen over the past few months will be, "It wasn't me! I hated Romney! Wasn't me!" There will be a stampede for the exits from the Romney tent.

I think the OP is forgetting that even if Romney loses it is looking pretty likely the GOP will gain seats in Both Houses of Congress. That is hardly a Repudiation of them Blocking Obama in the Congress, It's a vote for them to continue.

If Obama wins and the GOP gains seats in Both Houses of Congress it will be a clear Vote by the American People for Divided Government. The Message to Obama will be clear, You get your 4 more years, but you better be willing to REALLY compromise this time and move you ass back to the Center, Unless you want to be a lame duck President for at least 2 years.

The GOP definition for "really compromise" has been - "Do it our way as if we had won."
So let me get this straight. You're spin is that by re-electing Obama, Americans would be signalling that they don't want him to pursue his agenda anymore?

And the GOP - after having shot every bullet they could to defeat Obama and failing - would read the message as "America wants you to keep doing what you're doing"?

Sorry but I don't agree. The problem has been both sides being to Rigid, not just the GOP. Obama enjoyed the Biggest Majorities in Congress any president had seen in a long time, he only needed to compromise enough to get a couple Republicans to come over. The Fact he could not on most items, shows that Both sides were unwilling to really Compromise. Sure the GOP was to Rigid, but so was Obama and the Dems in Congress. And don't point to the Individual Mandate and say see Obama compromised. It ended up attached to a monstrous Bill, Loaded with things Obama wanted and very little the GOP agreed with.

That's not real Compromise, it's a game. Here you can have this one thing, as long as you agree to this list of stuff I want, that's not Compromise.

Then after Obama got his ass handed to him in the Mid Terms. It became the Dems doing the Blocking through the Senate, and Obama was the one acting like he had not just lost big time in Both Houses of congress.

Sorry anyone who claims it was only the Dems, or only the GOP that kept Obama from getting things done is a Partisan hack.

As a lapsed Republican I have pretty much given up on the GOP.

If getting beaten by an incredibly shallow and incompetent disaster like Obama doesn't wake Republicans up to what an unmitigated disaster they themselves have become, nothing will, and my only hope is that a third major party is born. One made up of sane people.

I am seriously depressed and angry at just how batshit insane the right has become.

You know what's funny, though? I was talking to my mother on the phone the other day. Just for a little background, she was our state's chairman of the ACU during the Reagan years. If you don't know what the ACU is, you aren't a conservative, you're a dipshit.

Anyway, as most of you know by now, I am in favor of gays being allowed to file a federal married tax return and to collect Social Security death benefits and all that stuff. In short, I am "pro gay marriage".

As my parents are old school conservative, even more paleo-conservative than me, I have been withholding my position on gay marriage from my parents out of respect for them. My dad has poor health and I was seriously concerned if he found out where I stood on the issue, it would kill him.

Well, the other day my mother starting going off about how batshit crazy the right has become.

Whaaaaaaaaat?

And somehow during the conversation she revealed she was pro gay marriage!

WHAAAAAAAAAAAT???

I could not believe it. This was a HUGE load off my chest.

And she fricking HATES Romney. And Mitch McConnell.

We have fought for years over all kinds of things, and then to suddenly discover how synched we were on these particular things was mind-boggling.

So maybe there is a ray of hope for the right, after all.

A black guy named BARACK and you can't beat him???? And THAT means "more of the same" to these folks.

Seriously, what is it going to take? Are the Dems going to have to nominate Jerry Sandusky to give the GOP a chance???
And why? Because - as you put it so well - they've gone batshit crazy.
It's just absurd.

You'll never see Romney's face on Fox News again. They sure as shit won't give him a show like they did Huckabee.

:lol:

All the Romney piss drinkers we have seen over the past few months will be, "It wasn't me! I hated Romney! Wasn't me!" There will be a stampede for the exits from the Romney tent.

I don't hate him. But he isn't my first choice. However he has grown on me. The more I think about it, the more I think we need some Bi-Partisanship and real Compromise to advert Disaster.

To me this election is simple. Who is most likely to be able to bring the sides together? Obama after 4 Years of governing from the left, and 2 years of a hateful, Divisive Campaign.

Or the Guy who was Elected Governor in Mass, and was able to work with his 87% Dem Legislature and actually Do things like Balance Budgets, and Create jobs?

Hmmm

Not a hard choice.

I don't hate him. But he isn't my first choice. However he has grown on me. The more I think about it, the more I think we need some Bi-Partisanship and real Compromise to advert Disaster.

To me this election is simple. Who is most likely to be able to bring the sides together? Obama after 4 Years of governing from the left, and 2 years of a hateful, Divisive Campaign.

Or the Guy who was Elected Governor in Mass, and was able to work with his 87% Dem Legislature and actually Do things like Balance Budgets, and Create jobs?

Hmmm

Not a hard choice.

I would like to see 'g5000' tell us who else in America he believes could have a better chance of bringing America together than Romney.

Somebody has to lead America. We can't all just pussy out.

Main: I'll agree that the GOP doesn't have a monopoly on "batshit crazy" for SURE!
And yes ... BOTH sides have resorted to procedural tom-foolery to obstruct the other guys. And BOTH sides have written legislation - not because it was good legislation - but just to try to embarass the other side for voting against it.

Agree on that. Good government is not even on either radar screen - now, it's just all about hyper-partisan bullcrap.

So - back to the original question - if the hyper-partisan crap fails to work for the GOP - do they abandon it?

Main: I'll agree that the GOP doesn't have a monopoly on "batshit crazy" for SURE!
And yes ... BOTH sides have resorted to procedural tom-foolery to obstruct the other guys. And BOTH sides have written legislation - not because it was good legislation - but just to try to embarass the other side for voting against it.

Agree on that. Good government is not even on either radar screen - now, it's just all about hyper-partisan bullcrap.

So - back to the original question - if the hyper-partisan crap fails to work for the GOP - do they abandon it?

STFU and answer the question.

Has Harry Reid destroyed the 230+ year tradition of compromise in Washington, or not?

Hmmm

Not a hard choice.

That's just pure partisan hackery - was Obama demanding to see Romney's birth certificate, church service videos, 30-year-old introductions to "unsavory types" ?
The right has been so unbelievably negative over the past four years, I cannot believe that someon has the nerve to try to turn the tables on Obama without ducking lightning bolts.
Pure hyper-partisan wingnut B.S.

Last edited:
Hasn't Harry Reid already declared he won't work with President Romney? :lol:

If Mitt Romney doesn't win (and how big an if that is, is certainly open for interpretation) how does the GOP react?

From Inaguration Day until today, Republicans have done absolutely everything within their power to guarantee that Obama is a one term president. They've denied every bit of encouraging economic news; they've pooh-poohed the justice inflicted on Bin Laden; they've phoned-in 247 fillabusters in the Senate to grind government to a halt; they empowered a radical fringe group to question citizenship, religion, etc, and now that radical fringe group is biting them in the butt; and they even nominated a candidate even they didn't like because they thought he would be the most likely to beat Obama.

They've pulled every procedural and public relations gambit they could dream up in order to attack non-stop.

So what do they do if all that doesn't work?

Will they give statesmanship and leadership another chance to win back former-Republicans like myself who detest what they've turned themselves into? Or would admitting a mistake be too humiliating? Do they double-down on the snarling, sputtering, tantrums?

No, they'll probably demand an investigation into a rigged election. Remember the community organizer is from Chicago.

Forum List

Back