If God is a just God, then why............

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
Under our current system of laws, the longest anyone can be sent to jail is for life. All people will eventually get out of jail, either by being released or by being sent out for burial.

Now..............considering that the longest lived human being has only been able to make it to around 117, why is it that God would put someone in hell (jail) forever?

Is it fair to condemn someone to jail for longer than what they've spent here on Earth in their life?

Well, if God is truly just, and loves us, why would He put someone away for a longer time than what they've been able to sin?

Why is it someone would be sent to hell forever (or eternity, depending on your belief system), when at the most, they live to be somewhere around 100?

If God is just and loves us, why would He send us to hell forever? Doesn't a punishment like that far outweigh the crime?

I don't know.

I'm sure the Christians will tell me I don't know what I am talking about (go figure), but from what I can tell, Hell is mostly an invention of Christianity.

Early Judaism had no concept of Hell, and eventually developed the concept of Gehenna, which is close to what we Gentiles would be familiar with as Purgatory. Rabbinic thought sees this Purgatory as a waiting place for all souls, wicked or not, and is never permanent. In any case, it was the abode of the dead and not a place of torment for the wicked.

The Christian concept of Hell, from what I have researched, was derived from the concepts of Hades, Gehenna, and Sheol, from Judaism, and then took on a far more sinister role of being a fire and brimstone place of eternal torment and excommunication from God.

If Christianity arose from Judaism, this brings several questions to bear. Was it once a temporary waiting place as the Hebrews understood it, and then became a place of torment when Jesus came? Did the Christians conceptually create Hell out of Gehenna as a means of generating fear? Does Hell exist at all?

I have also seen claims from Christians that "Hell" appears in the OT. In the King James version of the Bible, indeed it does. But I have also understood that this was how they translated "Sheol," and the concept of Sheol by the Hebrews is a complex one, but tends toward the view that it is a place of temporary atonement.

I am neither a Jew nor a Christian, but if I had the choice between them, I would embrace Judaism if they would have me. I much prefer Gehenna to Hell.

I don't know.

I'm sure the Christians will tell me I don't know what I am talking about (go figure), but from what I can tell, Hell is mostly an invention of Christianity.

Early Judaism had no concept of Hell, and eventually developed the concept of Gehenna, which is close to what we Gentiles would be familiar with as Purgatory. Rabbinic thought sees this Purgatory as a waiting place for all souls, wicked or not, and is never permanent. In any case, it was the abode of the dead and not a place of torment for the wicked.

The Christian concept of Hell, from what I have researched, was derived from the concepts of Hades, Gehenna, and Sheol, from Judaism, and then took on a far more sinister role of being a fire and brimstone place of eternal torment and excommunication from God.

If Christianity arose from Judaism, this brings several questions to bear. Was it once a temporary waiting place as the Hebrews understood it, and then became a place of torment when Jesus came? Did the Christians conceptually create Hell out of Gehenna as a means of generating fear? Does Hell exist at all?

I have also seen claims from Christians that "Hell" appears in the OT. In the King James version of the Bible, indeed it does. But I have also understood that this was how they translated "Sheol," and the concept of Sheol by the Hebrews is a complex one, but tends toward the view that it is a place of temporary atonement.

I am neither a Jew nor a Christian, but if I had the choice between them, I would embrace Judaism if they would have me. I much prefer Gehenna to Hell.

Me personally? I think the concept of hell was invented by the Christians as a way to scare the populace into fearing for their souls, thereby keeping the pews (and the coffers) full of people they could control and money from those people to keep their churches running.

Quite the con if you think about it.

You know what I do everytime one of these Why does God threads pop up? I let Mr Pacino have the room.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCYbG5IRQjk]Who are you carrying all those bricks for anyway? - YouTube[/ame]

I don't know.

Me personally? I think the concept of hell was invented by the Christians as a way to scare the populace into fearing for their souls, thereby keeping the pews (and the coffers) full of people they could control and money from those people to keep their churches running.

Quite the con if you think about it.

Well, maybe. I don't doubt that there was some fear generation coming from the pulpit, but I also don't doubt that there was some genuine, earnest, and fervent belief. I've talked to may atheists and they are just as capable of seething hatred as the Westboro Baptists.

Christianity has been an important part of the development of Western civilization, and I'll take the the good with the bad, thank you very much.

Under our current system of laws, the longest anyone can be sent to jail is for life. All people will eventually get out of jail, either by being released or by being sent out for burial.

Now..............considering that the longest lived human being has only been able to make it to around 117, why is it that God would put someone in hell (jail) forever?

Is it fair to condemn someone to jail for longer than what they've spent here on Earth in their life?

two separate systems...

the laws and punishments of man
the laws and punishments of a god.

It doesn't make sense for God to create imperfect beings and then punish them eternally for being imperfect. That's one point in favor of Islam. The Muslims don't believe hell is forever.

He has supplied us with everything we need to be perfect in His eyes.
If a parent tells you not to touch a hot burner, and you touch it anyway, there will be consequences. The burn you receive did not come from your parent.

True, but the burn heals, it isn't forever.

The same God does not will for a single soul to be lost.
So if God's will is supreme, God will surely get his way.
So the point of hell is clearly not to go there, as that is not God's plan.
Since we have free will, and we are meant to mature and make
choices by experience and reason, then these choices exist so we
may learn both the negative consequences of selfish divisive actions
out of fear and unforgiveness, compared with the positive rewards
of selfless charity toward others including forgiveness. We learn by
comparison, so hell and suffering exist, as do the paths to heavenly peace.

If I was more ignorant, I might have something to say about these fairy tales.. lol Religious nuts welcome :)

It doesn't make sense for God to create imperfect beings and then punish them eternally for being imperfect. That's one point in favor of Islam. The Muslims don't believe hell is forever.

Universal Salvationists don't believe people will go to eternal hell. They are not Muslim.

Carlton Pearson is a Christian preacher from a Pentecoste background, who does not even believe in hell at all, and he is not Muslim.

There are also Christadelphians and Jehovah's Witnesses who teach
interpretations of hell as not being eternal damnation.

Being Christian does not mean you believe in eternal hell.
It depends on that person's beliefs and denomination.

I would advise against making a "straw man" argument of this one issue
when the meaning or message cannot be generalized this way.

Forum List

Back