If God is a just God, then why............

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by ABikerSailor, Oct 13, 2012.

1. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,406
    Under our current system of laws, the longest anyone can be sent to jail is for life. All people will eventually get out of jail, either by being released or by being sent out for burial.

Now..............considering that the longest lived human being has only been able to make it to around 117, why is it that God would put someone in hell (jail) forever?

Is it fair to condemn someone to jail for longer than what they've spent here on Earth in their life?

2. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    You are at least consistent, GayBikerBoy. Consistently stupid.

3. ABikerSailor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,406
    Well, if God is truly just, and loves us, why would He put someone away for a longer time than what they've been able to sin?

4. Politico

Politico Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    Huh?

5. ABikerSailor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,406
    Why is it someone would be sent to hell forever (or eternity, depending on your belief system), when at the most, they live to be somewhere around 100?

If God is just and loves us, why would He send us to hell forever? Doesn't a punishment like that far outweigh the crime?

6. Jimmy_Jam

Jimmy_Jam Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I don't know.

I'm sure the Christians will tell me I don't know what I am talking about (go figure), but from what I can tell, Hell is mostly an invention of Christianity.

Early Judaism had no concept of Hell, and eventually developed the concept of Gehenna, which is close to what we Gentiles would be familiar with as Purgatory. Rabbinic thought sees this Purgatory as a waiting place for all souls, wicked or not, and is never permanent. In any case, it was the abode of the dead and not a place of torment for the wicked.

The Christian concept of Hell, from what I have researched, was derived from the concepts of Hades, Gehenna, and Sheol, from Judaism, and then took on a far more sinister role of being a fire and brimstone place of eternal torment and excommunication from God.

If Christianity arose from Judaism, this brings several questions to bear. Was it once a temporary waiting place as the Hebrews understood it, and then became a place of torment when Jesus came? Did the Christians conceptually create Hell out of Gehenna as a means of generating fear? Does Hell exist at all?

I have also seen claims from Christians that "Hell" appears in the OT. In the King James version of the Bible, indeed it does. But I have also understood that this was how they translated "Sheol," and the concept of Sheol by the Hebrews is a complex one, but tends toward the view that it is a place of temporary atonement.

I am neither a Jew nor a Christian, but if I had the choice between them, I would embrace Judaism if they would have me. I much prefer Gehenna to Hell.

7. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    He doesn't. We do.

Moron.

Unsubscribe from the sheer stupidity of this thread.

8. ABikerSailor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,406
    Me personally? I think the concept of hell was invented by the Christians as a way to scare the populace into fearing for their souls, thereby keeping the pews (and the coffers) full of people they could control and money from those people to keep their churches running.

Quite the con if you think about it.

9. Politico

Politico Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    You know what I do everytime one of these Why does God threads pop up? I let Mr Pacino have the room.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCYbG5IRQjk]Who are you carrying all those bricks for anyway? - YouTube[/ame]

10. Jimmy_Jam

Jimmy_Jam Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Well, maybe. I don't doubt that there was some fear generation coming from the pulpit, but I also don't doubt that there was some genuine, earnest, and fervent belief. I've talked to may atheists and they are just as capable of seething hatred as the Westboro Baptists.

Christianity has been an important part of the development of Western civilization, and I'll take the the good with the bad, thank you very much.