If faith is a gift

Michael Card is sometimes called the thinking man's Christian. This is one of my favorite songs, I listen to it whenever I find myself stuck inside my doubt and disbelief.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVYuKKwigzw]Michael Card - Could It Be - YouTube[/ame]

Unfortunately, there is no easy answer for your housemate. If you really want to give her something to think about let her listen to this. My guess is that this song will speak to her. Sometimes questions tell us more than answers, and the only answer that really means anything is the One.

If you need any more help with the basic precepts of Christianity, let me know, pooper. My 9 year old daughter could probably help you out.

I think using the word "pooper" is a definite improvement...I'm working on it.

I've only used the word moron once or twice today and I don't think I've used any other over the top rude language.

Feel free to peruse my tribute threads in chronological order to see how far I've come.

By God's grace alone, no less. It certainly isn't because I care what you guys think...it's because God says we shouldn't be profane. So I'm working on it. For God.

The problem is that we need to extend those courtesies to our fellow man too. Even if we don't agree with their choices....Even if the sins they commit goes against every fiber of your being.

That's walking the walk....not just choosing not to say bad words. It's called being non-judgmental.

Hey...I fall short too. Don't feel bad...we all do.

I don't get it. Why even bother bringing it up if we all allegedly have it, - yet some very obviously don't.

My housemate cannot make that leap. Her mother works for the Methodist Church, and you'd think she would be so blessed, but no. She felt like odd duck out of water because faith is not logical, and she is very logical. It didn't make any sense to her. Period.

Doesn't look to me like she got the gift.

I am just going to skim over this real quick because it would take a long time to go back and forth through all the arguments. There are two schools main of thought on this, and a lot of different interpolations of those schools. The first school is those who believe everyone is given a small gift of faith, and the other school believes that only certain people get faith, and the rest do not. Either way, it is still the responsibility of each individual to respond to that faith.

There are actually some very good logical arguments for faith, most people don't know them because the prefer to approach God emotionally rather than rationally. Some people even teach that the only way to get to God is by turning off the intellectual part of your being because it just gets in the way. They do God a great disservice when they do that. He created us, He can handle us asking tough questions.

One of my mottoes would be "He's God. I'm pretty sure he already knows I'm pissed. May as well be honest about it."

And thank you, for taking the time to discuss it with me instead of - well, you saw what else happened in this thread.

What makes you think anyone was not given faith?

Talking to atheists.

I think that most atheists are not atheists at all. I think that they are angry with God and they express their anger by professing to the world that HE does not exist.

Methinks the atheist doth protest too much.

IMO, it is natural to believe in God. It takes effort to deny God. We all do receive the gift, however those with resentments do not accept it.

I don't get it. Why even bother bringing it up if we all allegedly have it, - yet some very obviously don't.

My housemate cannot make that leap. Her mother works for the Methodist Church, and you'd think she would be so blessed, but no. She felt like odd duck out of water because faith is not logical, and she is very logical. It didn't make any sense to her. Period.

Doesn't look to me like she got the gift.

Tell her to read Jerimiah. Remember the "New Covenant" spoken of occurs with the Risen Lord. All that was thousands of years before us, yet, it is eerily familiar (European history).
If she is still curious after that, read Ezekiel. It has the false religions of today defined and shown to be false. If she is still curious, go back to Genesis, and realize in the beginning, each life was close to an eon. Understand why Abraham and Jacob and Moses were so important, not because they were anything special to begin with, but because their "faith" allowed the Lord to make them into spiritual giants! Judges and Samuel I and II will show how spiritually infantile the Hebrews were, and how patient and forgiving the Lord was.

Ask her how this world is soooo full of variety when, logically, if only evolution was involved, only a few species of plant, animal, insect life would be necessary? Faith needs to be encouraged. The Word is the best way. Sometimes churches forget that and want to get stuck on 'interpretations' and witnessing, instead of the lessons written for us thousands of years ago that are still relevant, today.

She might need a different church. Most churches do not appeal to all people. She can find one that she feels comfortable to go alone. If they make her uncomfortable, tell her not to be afraid to walk away (some churces teach things we feel are wrong). Faith is a lifetime journey; there are many paths, deadends, and a few wonderful vistas that build us into the people we will need to be. Delay and she will miss much!

I know people who remember knowing there was no God when they were six, so - I think it's pretty hard to hold a resentment at that age.

My experience was different. I never met anyone who told me that they didn't believe in God until I was 30. I was shocked to learn that anyone didn't believe..

Although I have led a life full of sin, I always believed in God, very strongly. My faith has guided me through some very rough times.

Several years ago I was shocked when My 86 year old father told me he has always been an atheist. This was especially shocking because he had sent all 3 of his sons to Hebrew school and he observes the Jewish Holidays and Jewish customs. On the other hand, I have not set foot in a synagogue since I was Bar Mitzvahed and I don't observe the holidays and customs.

I know people who remember knowing there was no God when they were six, so - I think it's pretty hard to hold a resentment at that age.

My experience was different. I never met anyone who told me that they didn't believe in God until I was 30. I was shocked to learn that anyone didn't believe..

Although I have led a life full of sin, I always believed in God, very strongly. My faith has guided me through some very rough times.

Several years ago I was shocked when My 86 year old father told me he has always been an atheist. This was especially shocking because he had sent all 3 of his sons to Hebrew school and he observes the Jewish Holidays and Jewish customs. On the other hand, I have not set foot in a synagogue since I was Bar Mitzvahed and I don't observe the holidays and customs.

Same. (Except the Jewish bit). My faith has always been very strong, and I cannot imagine life without it.

Same. (Except the Jewish bit). My faith has always been very strong, and I cannot imagine life without it.

Me too. We do have a lot in common dear BDBoop.

Last edited:

Me too. We do have a lot in common dear BDBoop.

Faith. That is all.

Forum List

Back