Anti-Gay Myths Exposed

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
MYTH # 3
People become homosexual because they were sexually abused as children or there was a deficiency in sex-role modeling by their parents.

THE ARGUMENT
Many anti-gay rights proponents claim that homosexuality is a mental disorder caused by some psychological trauma or aberration in childhood. This argument is used to counter the common observation that no one, gay or straight, consciously chooses his or her sexual orientation. Joseph Nicolosi, a founder of the National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality, said in 2009 that "if you traumatize a child in a particular way, you will create a homosexual condition." He also has repeatedly said, "Fathers, if you don't hug your sons, some other man will." A side effect of this argument is the demonization of parents of gay men and lesbians, who are led to wonder if they failed to protect a child against sexual abuse or failed as role models in some important way. In October 2010, Kansas State University family studies professor Walter Schumm said he was about to release a related study arguing that gay couples are more likely than heterosexuals to raise gay or lesbian children.

THE FACTS
No scientifically sound study has linked sexual orientation or identity with parental role-modeling or childhood sexual abuse.

The American Psychiatric Association noted in a 2000 fact sheet on gay, lesbian and bisexual issues that "no specific psychosocial or family dynamic cause for homosexuality has been identified, including histories of childhood sexual abuse." The fact sheet goes on to say that sexual abuse does not appear to be any more prevalent among children who grow up and identify as gay, lesbian or bisexual than in children who grow up and identify as heterosexual.

Similarly, the National Organization on Male Sexual Victimization notes on its website that "experts in the human sexuality field do not believe that premature sexual experiences play a significant role in late adolescent or adult sexual orientation" and added that it's unlikely that someone can make another person gay or heterosexual.

With regard to Schumm's study, critics have already said that he appears to have merely aggregated anecdotal data, a biased sample that invalidates his findings.

10 Anti-Gay Myths Debunked | Southern Poverty Law Center

(Sarcasm)

But there is a traumatic experience that gay people go through that heterosexuals do not experience.

A gay boy sees another boy and become aroused
A gay girl sees another girl and become aroused.

Those have to be traumatic experiences for the gay boy or girl that never knew they were gay. Those are experiences that we heterosexuals just have not experienced.

From this I conclude that there are experiences that homosexuals have that makes them homosexuals. Experiences that, if they never occur, would not make them homosexuals. Traumatic experiences can lead o homosexuality. Observational proof given.

Of course people are born gay.

If you are straight and think being gay is a choice, have gay sex 25 times, then make your decision.

Yeah and shoot up heorin while you are at it and make a choice there too.

You dont have to engage in destructive behavior to make a choice whether you want to engage in it.

I don't think anyone is born gay.

I used to think that too.....until I started working with the Developmentally Disabled. There are a few folk that I work with that epitomes of the stereotypical homosexual male. The flamboyance and feminine qualities you see are all there. No one taught them that...they were born with it, and yes....they are attracted to other males.

Sex is not allowed because of the fact that they are not competent enough(legally speaking) to consent....we have others that are considered institutionally homosexual....it's all they have ever known, they have been living in segregation from the opposite sex for their entire lives(other than social events).

But there is a significant number of them that possess those very traits that you see in the more flamboyant of our homosexual population.

Since then...I do believe that they can be "born gay". I'm not saying that applies to all gays, but quite frankly.....that's their business.

I used to think that too.....until I started working with the Developmentally Disabled. There are a few folk that I work with that epitomes of the stereotypical homosexual male. The flamboyance and feminine qualities you see are all there. No one taught them that...they were born with it, and yes....they are attracted to other males.

Sex is not allowed because of the fact that they are not competent enough(legally speaking) to consent....we have others that are considered institutionally homosexual....it's all they have ever known, they have been living in segregation from the opposite sex for their entire lives(other than social events).

But there is a significant number of them that possess those very traits that you see in the more flamboyant of our homosexual population.

Since then...I do believe that they can be "born gay". I'm not saying that applies to all gays, but quite frankly.....that's their business.

They are being influenced by their envoirment every day. I believe one can have a genetic predisposition toward deviant behavior.

Last edited:

They are being influenced by their envoirment every day. I believe one can have a genetic predisposition toward deviant behavior.

What environment? The environment of being around others with profound developmental disabilities? You do that they are the people we used to call "retarded" back in the day? They have mental ages in the single digits....most of the ones I work with, anyway.

Have they been raised in a clinical setting their entire lives?

I think some people have genetic traits that lend themselves to femininity. I think those people are very rare, and make up a tiny minority of the homosexual population.

For the most part, homosexuals choose to be homosexual, or are groomed to be that way.

Including DD people, who are one of, if not the, most vulnerable population(s) on earth. I've been responsible for ones that have been hideously abused from birth on. The one I'm thinking of, who had the effeminate characteristics you're talking about, was the inbred child of a family headed up by Papa Incest...they traveled from place to place, he did hard time for raping (and impregnating) his niece...he raped all his kids from birth on. We got this particularly client when he was 13. He identified himself as homosexual, was not interested in females at all. He was, however, interested in very young boys. He said he'd molested about 38 in his lifetime (but since he couldn't count 25 cents in change, that is probably just a number he pulled out of the air). He was convicted for brutally raping 2. By the time he was 13.

Without going into detail...yes we have few predators that came from the outside....but not the few guys that I was referring to earlier.They have been in an institutional setting since infancy and two of the three come from decent, loving homes. It's just that when many of the folk that I work with came to place I work, it was standard practice to "put the kid away and try again"(1950's).

Yeah I believe some are just naturally feminine...and it probably has a lot to do with their other disabilities.

What environment? The environment of being around others with profound developmental disabilities? You do that they are the people we used to call "retarded" back in the day? They have mental ages in the single digits....most of the ones I work with, anyway.

Do thery get to watch TV? Even someone locked in a dark room is learning from their enviroment. I don't think masculinity or femininity is an indication of sexual preference.

Do thery get to watch TV? Even someone locked in a dark room is learning from their enviroment. I don't think masculinity or femininity is an indication of sexual preference.
Funny, neither do I. In fact, one of my daughter's friends threw himself in front of a tractor trailer for the sin if being feminine....but the kids at school tormented him and bullied him for being a "fag" to his death. He wasn't....but even if he was, it's inexcusable and why I take such a hard line on an issue I was always less tolerant of

Google Brandon Bitner. It was a horrible tragedy and the kid's protagonists were high giving each other after they found out about his death.

This is the wages of intolerance.

Funny, neither do I. In fact, one of my daughter's friends threw himself in front of a tractor trailer for the sin if being feminine....but the kids at school tormented him and bullied him for being a "fag" to his death. He wasn't....but even if he was, it's inexcusable and why I take such a hard line on an issue I was always less tolerant of

Google Brandon Bitner. It was a horrible tragedy and the kid's protagonists were high giving each other after they found out about his death.

This is the wages of intolerance.

Wow that horrible. People can be so cruel sometimes.

If you are straight and think being gay is a choice, have gay sex 25 times, then make your decision.

Yeah and shoot up heorin while you are at it and make a choice there too.

You dont have to engage in destructive behavior to make a choice whether you want to engage in it.

That, and you can't.

And you know it.

Or, walk the talk. If sex is a choice, become sexually aroused thinking about a man.

Last edited:

no less a choice than being bi-sexual.

Sexuality is hardwired. Period. You do not pick and choose what you are attracted to. The only people who go have the choice are bisexuals.

If you think you are, and you are heterosexual, find the ugliest woman (or man if you're female) and choose to get sexually aroused.

The issue is a simple one. Though there are some who genuinely believe gay sex is bad or a sin, most people hide behind those cloaks instead of admitting to themselves that they are projecting the act of gay sex onto themselves and reacting in disgust. But they can't come out and admit it, so they rationalize their own revulsions about gay sex into something more respectable. But most people have difficulty being honest about it with themselves.

Sorry, the hardwire theory has been proven a patent falsehood. The APA had to revise their statement of homosexuality (to their eternal disgrace and embarassment) because they literally got caught with their pants down on the issue. They jumped on that train based on a crap study of male prison inmates....and proclaimed that homosexuality was hardwired...and then had to backtrack when even they couldn't argue the case anymore.

It's not hardwired. Not at all. And just because you say it over and over won't make it true.

Forum List

Back