If faith is a gift

Faith is not a gift. It is a voluntary abandonment of logic.

God said it. I believe it. That settles it. What a torpid line of thinking.

I always find it interesting when people who don't understand something pretend to be experts.

I always find it interesting when people who don't understand something pretend to be experts.

I didn't call myself an expert. I was once a Catholic myself until I came to a point where religious answers no longer held any water for me.

So I ask, are you an expert? What makes you think I don't understand religion? Why do I have to be an "expert" in order to make informed decisions for myself?

I didn't call myself an expert. I was once a Catholic myself until I came to a point where religious answers no longer held any water for me.

So I ask, are you an expert? What makes you think I don't understand religion? Why do I have to be an "expert" in order to make informed decisions for myself?

You obviously don't understand faith, which is elemental to all religion, and many other things. How can you possibly understand religion?

You obviously don't understand faith, which is elemental to all religion, and many other things. How can you possibly understand religion?

No no, I understand that. It's just toxic. Believing that blind faith is a virtue is a slippery slope.

I have to believe that there are people out there who are not only believers, but also possessed of a keen intellect. The new poster is right (and I recognize that song, about 'that settles it for me'); there is too much of an expected mental lockdown against reason - like the two can't exist together (faith and intellect).

People who question are mocked. That can't be okay. I have a problem with people judging people who decided that there was no reason for them to believe, i.e., there is no God. Those who are called by his name are called to spread the gospel. If it was already spread, and then rejected, why would you essentially 'beat up the seed' for dying?

No no, I understand that. It's just toxic. Believing that blind faith is a virtue is a slippery slope.

Do you ever eat food that is processed by other people and believe it is safe because the government tells you it is? That is a perfect example of blind faith. Believing in God after you discover that He actually is real is simple faith, and a lot easier to build a logical argument around.

Last edited:
I have to believe that there are people out there who are not only believers, but also possessed of a keen intellect. The new poster is right (and I recognize that song, about 'that settles it for me'); there is too much of an expected mental lockdown against reason - like the two can't exist together (faith and intellect).

People who question are mocked. That can't be okay. I have a problem with people judging people who decided that there was no reason for them to believe, i.e., there is no God. Those who are called by his name are called to spread the gospel. If it was already spread, and then rejected, why would you essentially 'beat up the seed' for dying?

There are those who think that asking questions is wrong, but that does not make them right. It doesn't even make them the intellectual elites of Christianity. If you judge Christians by them I get to use rdean as the standard for judging Democrats.

There are those who think that asking questions is wrong, but that does not make them right. It doesn't even make them the intellectual elites of Christianity. If you judge Christians by them I get to use rdean as the standard for judging Democrats.

RDean loves Mitt Romney. Therefore, here is a bunny with a pancake on its head. ;)

bph.jpg

RDean loves Mitt Romney. Therefore, here is a bunny with a pancake on its head. ;)

bph.jpg

I owe you rep for that one, it made me laugh.

Do you ever eat food that is processed by other people and believe it is safe because the government tells you it is? That is a perfect example of blind faith. Believing in God after you discover that He actually is real is simple faith, and a lot easier to build a logical argument around.

Sure I eat food that other people process. I don't have blind faith in the government. I have actually seen the way that food is made, and I can see for myself what goes into it. I don't need to blindly believe something that I can actually see. Your analogy is bunk.

she is very logical.

She is very logical? She is not very logical. Logic is performed by the gray matter of the brain. Women only have a tiny fraction of gray matter that men have. If you don't believe me, look it up.

Even the reasoning of men is mostly non-logical. So, if she thinks she's logical, she's full of shit.

Sure I eat food that other people process. I don't have blind faith in the government. I have actually seen the way that food is made, and I can see for myself what goes into it. I don't need to blindly believe something that I can actually see. Your analogy is bunk.

You have seen food being made and you don't think you have blind faith believing the government says it is safe?

Forum List

Back