Ideas of what to major in?

Preacher

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2015
Georgia Mountains
My favorite 3 subjects are History,Politics and Books. I also am pretty good on computers but HATE working on them/coding etc...I took one semester in college for computer science and it bored me to death. I want a degree I can most of all FIND A JOB IN! I don't need to be rich I can be happy making 30k a year where I live. I am leaning more towards Health Information Technology because it involves computers,data/facts etc and its got a good reputation for job security especially where I live I am within 40 miles of several cities/towns with medical offices. Any other suggestions? I considered a history major but with my background history ain't no way I would pass a background check/FBI check and I would end up smacking some kid more than likely and I can't teach the PC shit they want us to. Same thing with political science...what career really can I get with that? Politics is out of the question again with my background. So have at it..

Medical is booming.
Agree. Here we have a micro hospital that's brand new and at least 4 medical offices I know of just from going there myself,my wife going or our kids going. 15 miles north or south are 2 huge hospitals and 35 miles away is a HUGE hospital the Northeast Georgia Medical campus. My wife is 4 months into her medical assistant degree. I am enrolled and am supposed to start next month in same school

My favorite 3 subjects are History,Politics and Books. I also am pretty good on computers but HATE working on them/coding etc...I took one semester in college for computer science and it bored me to death. I want a degree I can most of all FIND A JOB IN! I don't need to be rich I can be happy making 30k a year where I live. I am leaning more towards Health Information Technology because it involves computers,data/facts etc and its got a good reputation for job security especially where I live I am within 40 miles of several cities/towns with medical offices. Any other suggestions? I considered a history major but with my background history ain't no way I would pass a background check/FBI check and I would end up smacking some kid more than likely and I can't teach the PC shit they want us to. Same thing with political science...what career really can I get with that? Politics is out of the question again with my background. So have at it..

I'm actually in a similar circumstance, and I'm currently working on an HIT associate's. I considered computer coding, but like you, I found it just too boring.

My favorite 3 subjects are History,Politics and Books ... what career really can I get with that? Politics is out of the question again with my background. So have at it..

Research librarian. Median salary about $60,000 annual.

No money in history other than teaching it. Pay is not very good
Health Information Technology looks promising and you should have steady employment

I wanted to major in history when I was in HS. I realized there was no real future in it and ended up in engineering

I still study history on my own time and visit historical sites because I enjoy it

I'm actually in a similar circumstance, and I'm currently working on an HIT associate's. I considered computer coding, but like you, I found it just too boring.
How far in are you? Pretty interesting so far?
My favorite 3 subjects are History,Politics and Books ... what career really can I get with that? Politics is out of the question again with my background. So have at it..

Research librarian. Median salary about $60,000 annual.
That was my number one pick but for some weird reason EVERY job I look for as a librarian requires a masters degree! Its ridiculous but true.
No money in history other than teaching it. Pay is not very good
Health Information Technology looks promising and you should have steady employment

I wanted to major in history when I was in HS. I realized there was no real future in it and ended up in engineering

I still study history on my own time and visit historical sites because I enjoy it

Indeed! I am taking the wife and kids to Stone Mountain this summer.

There’s little point picking subjects where the leftards have managed to inject their pc crap and revisionist shite, so subjects with a ‘social’ component are largely out - unless you are happy/able to fake it for the grades - not necessarily a bad thing since one normally fights better from within the system than from without later on in the day.
The hard sciences are of course safe.
Health Information Tech also seems ‘safe’ in this context - but maybe you should still check the core obligatory modules closely :wink:
And good luck!

Last edited:
Become a boot strap entrepreneur.

Why do you think foreigners come here and start their own businesses? How do people become indoctrinated into thinking they need "a job"?

It is easy enough to look through your college's course catalog and identify subjects that are likely to result in marketable skills. Science-Technology-Engineering-Math, and of course business and medical shit.

If you intend to go to grad school (MBA), just about any major is fine, as long as you kick ass. If you want to work for Government, again, any major is probably fine, but you need to get good grades.

If making money is your objective just getting a job in the corporate world and hoping to rise to the top is a low-percentage strategy. The most successful people are Professionals (doctors, lawyers, CPA's, Prof.Engineers, etc), investors, entrepreneurs, and sales people.

Well, if you really believe you would be happy making 30K a year and your favorite subjects are history, politics and books. I would suggest library science. You can get a job in a library with a bachelors degree and make 30K, depending on location but to be a librarian you really need a masters. I know two people who majored in library science. One is making big bucks working for a large company in information systems design. Another is a librarian in a local library.

Forum List

Back