I live with a son who is mentally ill. I love my son. But he terrifies me.

The mentally ill should be removed and placed somewhere where they cannot harm others. This mother wants someone to step in and fix her son. He can't be fixed. He can't be understood or accommodated. He has to be removed and kept somewhere safe.

I see your point, but removing a child from his parents could do more harm than good in the long run.

It's almost like you think that a murderous child is somehow less murderous at home. Odd that. It will no doubt hurt the feelings of a deranged child. Isn't that worth a few family members?

It is bad enough to have to live among the anonymous insane. What's worse is a degenerate and depraved culture that puts the feelings of the criminally insane above the lives of everyone.

Only as long as a family member has power of attorny over the individual...

Every state has a law for involuntary commitment.

The only way that can be, is for the state to take over...claiming him ward of the state, which must be approved by a judge first.

No. The cops can initiate the process and effectively get anyone hospitalized for evaluation.

Whether or not the person ends up in the loony bin for an extended stay is up to the doctors then the courts but the laws exist

You would have to have a record of pyschiatric and mental issues right? I mean anyone can pick up and phone and accuse someone of something and try to have them commited.

In most states the cops can initiate the process with no prior history needed.

Thats kind of scary though, if I don't like someone I can just pick up the phone and start the process to have them commited.

You would have to have a record of pyschiatric and mental issues right? I mean anyone can pick up and phone and accuse someone of something and try to have them commited.

Thats kind of scary though, if I don't like someone I can just pick up the phone and start the process to have them commited.

It happens but all laws can be misused.

It happens but all laws can be misused.

My mom tried to have my loser dopehead brother commited but it was harder than we thought, and he has a rap sheet a mile long going back 10 years.

Sorry about the family issue HG. Hope he is inspired sometime soon. Seems like you're a good role model.

To be fair to katz, I'm pretty sure that it's commonplace in Germany and other countries to do that very thing.

Not only does Germany incarcerate crazy people but they bans guns & other weapons.

Yet still the Erfurt massacre school massacre occurred at the Gutenberg-Gymnasium in Erfurt, Germany. The gunman, 19-year-old expelled student Robert Steinhäuser, shot and killed 16 people; comprising 13 faculty members, 2 students, and one police officer, before committing suicide. One person was also wounded by a bullet fragment.

Only as long as a family member has power of attorny over the individual...

The only way that can be, is for the state to take over...claiming him ward of the state, which must be approved by a judge first.

There is a 72 hour evaluation period that police can use in most circumstances. It has to be vetted by a psych doctor before it is official, but it lets the police take them into the psych ER in the first place. The only reason a judge would have to get involved at that point is if the doctor really thinks he needs treatment and he flat out refuses it.

'I Am Adam Lanza's Mother': A Mom's Perspective On The Mental Illness Conversation In America

Friday’s horrific national tragedy -- the murder of 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut -- has ignited a new discussion on violence in America. In kitchens and coffee shops across the country, we tearfully debate the many faces of violence in America: gun culture, media violence, lack of mental health services, overt and covert wars abroad, religion, politics and the way we raise our children. Liza Long, a writer based in Boise, says it’s easy to talk about guns. But it’s time to talk about mental illness.

I live with a son who is mentally ill. I love my son. But he terrifies me.

The way we treat our mentally ill, we may as well still be back in the Dark Ages.

Back in my day the parents & teachers put the fear of god into their kids. Now the kids are untouchable & have the parents & teachers afraid of them.

There is a 72 hour evaluation period that police can use in most circumstances. It has to be vetted by a psych doctor before it is official, but it lets the police take them into the psych ER in the first place. The only reason a judge would have to get involved at that point is if the doctor really thinks he needs treatment and he flat out refuses it.

After that window, if they are an adult, they must agree to commitment or a judge has to step in. If they agree to commitment they are then able to walk out at any moment if a judge has not ordered it. If an individual is truly deemed unsafe to themselves or others then a judge will usually take over immediately once convincing evidence is given. Once that is done evaluations are done every so many days to decide if they are no longer a threat. All of those processes take time, emergency hearings, psych evaluations ,etc. And there has to be room for them in a state institution. And once released there is noone truly following up on their medication compliance. If anyone thinks it is truly easy to simply get an adult committed, they have never seen the process in action.

We allow the criminally insane out on the streets. Mentally ill adults cannot be medicated against their will. They cannot be stigmatized for being mentally ill. They cannot be discriminated against. They and their liberal supporters demand inclusion, tolerance and acceptance.

Yet people try to focus on a stationary object, instead of the one filled with violent thoughts and ability to make to happen.

We allow the criminally insane out on the streets. Mentally ill adults cannot be medicated against their will. They cannot be stigmatized for being mentally ill. They cannot be discriminated against. They and their liberal supporters demand inclusion, tolerance and acceptance.

That damn bill of rights. . .

It is really tough :badgrin:

I don't think there is a clear answer. ..
Even if you were covered by insurance, very few providers will accept the contracted rate (psychiatric).

I haven't seen a lot of evidence. . maybe I just don't know. . .but do those things help? I think medication may be a goal, but we don't have a magic pill yet. Somehow the Adam Lanza's of the world I don't think a "good talk" can help.

So there has always been (and always be) spree killing. I think it comes down to a few core components:

1) Media - I do think they play a role. 24x7 USA Fox/CNN/etc. . . these are copycats.
2) Guns - access to firearms increase the chance of a armed crazy person. Gun legislation will not keep guns out of criminals hands. . .but Spree Killers aren't normally criminals.
3) healthcare - as addressed above. How do other "free" countries take care of people like Lanza?

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Jos
The Bill of Rights doesn't give anyone the right to kill an innocnet person. If it is reasonable to think a person is not capable of stopping themselves from killing, then their rights can be terminated.

Forum List

Back