I don't know if I can take Windows....

I didn't think it was possible for M$ to be anymore tyrannical...Windows 10 you would think was designed by North Korea.
So...Cortana...you know the user data mining machine masked as a cool voice helper?
Like I said before, even with answering NO on Windows setup to use Cortana...it still runs in the background eating 39MB of RAM doing absolutely nothing. So reading up on this - Cortana is considered by Microsoft as a "core part of the OS"...how convenient and how very Microsoft to think everyone is stupid enough to accept that answer. Of course it isn't a core part of the OS. They want to leave it on so they can say "12,000,000 people use Cortana everyday!"
Same with Microsoft's new browser Edge...even though it isn't even launched, child Edge processes are still running....for what purpose???

Oh....so I look at my network history by app...well...Cortana has sent 7 MB of data from my laptop in a week!! ..Jesus..Do you know how much data 7 MB is?? So I started researching this and finding out M$
does indeed record keystrokes...email addresses you use...programs you install and what you do with that program...internet usage, including sites visited, how long you stay there and what you type on that site.

Forbes....Quoting Microsoft...

1. “[When you] open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes and use it for purposes such as improving performance”

2. “[When you] enter text, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spellcheck features.”

In short: Microsoft can view your existing files and keylog everything you type when you create new ones. Use Windows 10 and you are agreeing to give access to all your data to the company.

Yes this is an operating system which can listen to everything you say, read everything you own and track everything you write and click.

WTF?? On Windows 10 you cannot stop automatic updates???????
Only way is to set your network to "metered connection"....anyone done this? Any other ill effects of doing this?
I really hate automatic updates for the above post reason....dammit

You can go in and set it to notify you to set a time to do the update. Hen you do it when you want, and can delete what you want.
Microsoft said they set things to auto because they wanted to make sure W10 stays up to date..

Only way is to set your network to "metered connection"....anyone done this? Any other ill effects of doing this?

You can go in and set it to notify you to set a time to do the update. Hen you do it when you want, and can delete what you want.
Microsoft said they set things to auto because they wanted to make sure W10 stays up to date..

What do you mean delete what you want? The updates are mandatory - all of them.

Where is Bliepreister anyway - telling us how wrong we all are?
I read today where Windows 10 is supposed to be the last Windows release forever. This is it. "Upgrades and changes" will happen automatically, as Windows turns itself over to a "continual improvement" model.
Haha...yeah like this is going to happen!!
Once again I see Microsoft has made yet another bad decision. This forced adware and data collection model will be the undoing of Windows as the top OS. And I have never said this before mind you.
Forcing upgrades that trashes what you were working on, breaks your system and freezes your PC at random will not be acceptable and finally your average PC user will start looking at alternatives.
Apple overtook Microsoft as the worlds most valuable tech company several years ago, and now Apple and Linux just might overtake the PC operating system stranglehold M$ has.
You are not entirely wrong but also not right.
Windows 10 is not the greatest OS, true. Many suffer freezes. But if you would take action instead of complaining here, you would have noted that Windows is not a piece of concrete but can be modified.
For example, if you don´t like mandatory updates, disable Windows Update (you have to enable it every time you want to install an update) or use the Windows Update KB3073930 which allows you to hide updates so that they won´t be installed.

I read today where Windows 10 is supposed to be the last Windows release forever. This is it. "Upgrades and changes" will happen automatically, as Windows turns itself over to a "continual improvement" model.
Once again I see Microsoft has made yet another bad decision. This forced adware and data collection model will be the undoing of Windows as the top OS. And I have never said this before mind you.
Forcing upgrades that trashes what you were working on, breaks your system and freezes your PC at random will not be acceptable and finally your average PC user will start looking at alternatives.
Apple overtook Microsoft as the worlds most valuable tech company several years ago, and now Apple and Linux just might overtake the PC operating system stranglehold M$ has.
Windows 10 is not the greatest OS, true. Many suffer freezes. But if you would take action instead of complaining here, you would have noted that Windows is not a piece of concrete but can be modified.
For example, if you don´t like mandatory updates, disable Windows Update (you have to enable it every time you want to install an update) or use the Windows Update KB3073930 which allows you to hide updates so that they won´t be installed.

There you are! :lol:
Unless I am reading something wrong - I keep seeing the word "temporarily" stops updates and/or driver updates. At the same time - about 1-200 users would have half the knowledge do do this.
I am sure Geeksquad and company LOOOOOVE Windows 10.
I have also been reading up on installing Linux with Win10...and M$ has taken the difficulty further since apparently a Windows update may overwrite the MBR...gee...wonder why?

Meantime...at least 3/4 the time I have to hit ctrl-alt-del to get past the start screen...effectively crash the start screen to get to the login screen. Awesome.
Also - I noticed the battery was being drained every night. I read up on it and found where someone disabled Wi-Fi and it stopped. Yep. So every night I have to disable Wi-Fi to keep the battery from being drained, probably from Cortana - the program that installs and runs even though you say NO at install.
I do believe Win 10 just might be as bad as Windows ME at this point. Equally as buggy.

Unless I am reading something wrong - I keep seeing the word "temporarily" stops updates and/or driver updates. At the same time - about 1-200 users would have half the knowledge do do this.
I have also been reading up on installing Linux with Win10...and M$ has taken the difficulty further since apparently a Windows update may overwrite the MBR...gee...wonder why?

Meantime...at least 3/4 the time I have to hit ctrl-alt-del to get past the start screen...effectively crash the start screen to get to the login screen. Awesome.
Also - I noticed the battery was being drained every night. I read up on it and found where someone disabled Wi-Fi and it stopped. Yep. So every night I have to disable Wi-Fi to keep the battery from being drained, probably from Cortana - the program that installs and runs even though you say NO at install.
I do believe Win 10 just might be as bad as Windows ME at this point. Equally as buggy.
At least, you can use it. My screen always turns black after a while and only the reset button helps. You should take another OS indeed but must it be Linux? I switched back to Windows 8.

However, the description suggests "temporarily" but a banned update should be banned permanently.
However, if you disable Windows Update but still want Updates:
Windows 10 Update Pack by DrWindows - Februar 2016

I have gone in and deleted updates that were put in. One in particular was messing with my email program. Made it crash all the time. If MS put it back in, I deleted it again. Eventually between MS and the email program....they did a fix for it.
I guess I should have said if you delete the update, eventually it does get put back in...but it also eventually gets fixed..

I have gone in and deleted updates that were put in. One in particular was messing with my email program. Made it crash all the time. If MS put it back in, I deleted it again. Eventually between MS and the email program....they did a fix for it.
I guess I should have said if you delete the update, eventually it does get put back in...but it also eventually gets fixed..
And eventually the sun will go nova.

And eventually the sun will go nova.

Do whut? lol

And this is how far we have come in the computing world....
Microsoft - oops...try again..oops...try again..oops...oh that got it...sorry!!

At least, you can use it. My screen always turns black after a while and only the reset button helps. You should take another OS indeed but must it be Linux? I switched back to Windows 8.

However, the description suggests "temporarily" but a banned update should be banned permanently.
However, if you disable Windows Update but still want Updates:
Windows 10 Update Pack by DrWindows - Februar 2016

I can't go back to Win 8...I just bought it.
And another thing...PDF's open in a browser???? Windows once again doesn't come with a decent PDF reader? Reading a PDF in a browser is terrible.
When I get some time...Linuxmint. It will be good to be home again. And problem free.

So unfortunately I dropped my laptop while going down the stairs, over the banister...it didn't survive. :(
So I bought a reasonable replacement..on sale for $329...Lenova ideapad 100-IBD...8GB ram, Intel i3.
I don't need raw power, but I know better than to buy an "underpowered" laptop with Windows because I will lose hair.
So after a week now, not sure I can take Win10. With Linux I am so used to the 1-2 second wakeup time...not the 5-6 second wakeup time...then the unnecessary screen that comes up and you have to hit a key for the login screen (what is the purpose of the first screen? drives me nuts)
Steam had froze the whole PC twice, never happened with Linux....
I get a work call where i need to look at email, open the laptop...what's this??? New features??...what..CRAP it "updated" and I can't do anything...till almost 10 minutes later....WTF Microsoft??? Get it right...ask first by default!!!
Not looking good for keeping Windows...

we have windows 10 on our upstairs computer we had problems with the grandkids steam also

we just keep it logged off and it is not a problem

we seem to the like windows 10 we dont use the touch screen cause the cat does its own web surfing if we do --LOL

we are putting another one in the shop i am currently building

otherwise we have a laptop in the den

and a tablet and various kindles for the family room and such

I can't go back to Win 8...I just bought it
Why not?

And another thing...PDF's open in a browser???? Windows once again doesn't come with a decent PDF reader? Reading a PDF in a browser is terrible.
There should be a "modern app" for pdfs. I turn UAC off and thus none of these apps would work but I even removed them from the image, anyway.

When I get some time...Linuxmint. It will be good to be home again. And problem free.
This doesn´t take long.

I can't go back to Win 8...I just bought it
Why not?

There should be a "modern app" for pdfs. I turn UAC off and thus none of these apps would work but I even removed them from the image, anyway.

This doesn´t take long.

I don't own a copy of Win 8...and I would only accept Win 8.1...absolutely hate the GUI of Win 8.
I installed Acrobat Reader...but my is it overbloated now! I need to view large PDF's regularly...some 100's of MB.
The PDF viewer in Linux is perfect. It is very fast, and doesn't eat 20% of available memory.

If you mean the install won't take long...it could. I also have a copy of a great little Linux boot fixer that I have found to fix all of the BIOS/Windows roadblocks. Hopefully it works again.
If you mena it didn't take long for me to abandon Windows...well...considering how bad Win 10 is...did you think it would?

Can you install Linux on that model? I'd like to get a laptop but they all have windows or osx. I'm not going back to either.

You can install Linux on most machines. The Microsoft Surface and Lenovo Yoga are exceptions, as they have part of the OS in firmware. But a cheap $300 laptop is unlikely to be a problem.

I'm running Ubuntu on the machine I'm posting from, but vastly prefer Windows 10, it's faster and runs more programs.

And this is how far we have come in the computing world....
Microsoft - oops...try again..oops...try again..oops...oh that got it...sorry!!

Well, Kinda sorta. I still really like Windows 10....so far...

Can you install Linux on that model? I'd like to get a laptop but they all have windows or osx. I'm not going back to either.

You can install Linux on most machines. The Microsoft Surface and Lenovo Yoga are exceptions, as they have part of the OS in firmware. But a cheap $300 laptop is unlikely to be a problem.

I'm running Ubuntu on the machine I'm posting from, but vastly prefer Windows 10, it's faster and runs more programs.
There are hardware considerations so you might want to look into it. Also, you should have installed Lubuntu. The L is for Laptop, I don't know what specifically is different but it could matter. I don't need to run 50 different office programs when LibreOffice does it all. For free. I also like that the updating is when I choose, what I choose and no anti-virus needed. If I bought something with Windows on it, it would disappear fast.

Forum List

Back