Windows 10 - How you truly disconnect the internet on your laptop.

Overtime Paycheck

May 6, 2020
I was searching "running services" to see if there was anything sketchy and discovered "WLAN AutoConfig" described as:

The WLANSVC service provides the logic required to configure, discover, connect to, and disconnect from a wireless local area network (WLAN) as defined by IEEE 802.11 standards. It also contains the logic to turn your computer into a software access point so that other devices or computers can connect to your computer wirelessly using a WLAN adapter that can support this. Stopping or disabling the WLANSVC service will make all WLAN adapters on your computer inaccessible from the Windows networking UI. It is strongly recommended that you have the WLANSVC service running if your computer has a WLAN adapter.

So, this WLAN AutoConfig is showing as connected and running although I set my computer on Airplane Mode and then disabled the Network Adapter drivers. I was being fooled all along because my computer was still connected to the internet in the background. Now I created a shortcut on my desktop that takes me right to "view local services" so I can manually connect and disconnect the internet. You should check it out.

For example, if I disconnect the WLAN AutoConfig at this "Services" window then I am unable to leave Airplane Mode because it is so shut down its stuck in place.

Microsoft should make a full disconnect easy to find so that all users can kill the signal in a second.

Remember, even if you disconnect the drivers and turn off wifi and put your laptop in Airplane Mode, its still connected, and thats a back door for hackers.

I was searching "running services" to see if there was anything sketchy and discovered "WLAN AutoConfig" described as:

The WLANSVC service provides the logic required to configure, discover, connect to, and disconnect from a wireless local area network (WLAN) as defined by IEEE 802.11 standards. It also contains the logic to turn your computer into a software access point so that other devices or computers can connect to your computer wirelessly using a WLAN adapter that can support this. Stopping or disabling the WLANSVC service will make all WLAN adapters on your computer inaccessible from the Windows networking UI. It is strongly recommended that you have the WLANSVC service running if your computer has a WLAN adapter.

So, this WLAN AutoConfig is showing as connected and running although I set my computer on Airplane Mode and then disabled the Network Adapter drivers. I was being fooled all along because my computer was still connected to the internet in the background. Now I created a shortcut on my desktop that takes me right to "view local services" so I can manually connect and disconnect the internet. You should check it out.

For example, if I disconnect the WLAN AutoConfig at this "Services" window then I am unable to leave Airplane Mode because it is so shut down its stuck in place.

Microsoft should make a full disconnect easy to find so that all users can kill the signal in a second.

Remember, even if you disconnect the drivers and turn off wifi and put your laptop in Airplane Mode, its still connected, and thats a back door for hackers.

Power button
I do all my financial shit on one laptop that never leaves the house and only goes on when I need to do sumthin

You seem like you know computers. I run windows 95 on a Babbage difference engine with a dial-up modem. Should I upgrade?

If you have free wifi, you cannot disconnect the internet on your laptop. Just don't install any of the internet browsers - Chrome; IE and others - You can only uninstall the browsers and just use it "offline".

If you are paying for wifi - i.e. your Internet providers - you will have to just cancel your internet service through them.

Once you install the browsers ... you are automatically "online".

Maybe, just remove the WLAN card that is installed inside the laptop.

How deep is your swimming pool?

Put your computer in a microwave oven and shut the door. That is the only way to be totally sure it is not wirelessly leaking data at any given moment.

Methinks someone is paranoid........ Make sure your home WiFi is set to WPA2 and create a strong password. If you're worried about public hotspots then install a quality VPN........ If that doesn't ease your paranoia then switch to Linux or Apple.......

Methinks someone is paranoid........ Make sure your home WiFi is set to WPA2 and create a strong password. If you're worried about public hotspots then install a quality VPN........ If that doesn't ease your paranoia then switch to Linux or Apple.......
What about more advanced hackers that go beyond the norm?

Another thing to note about WLAN AutoConfig is that you need to stop it everytime you turn your computer on. So, thats now first thing I do each time I turn it on.

Are you carrying state secrets around on that thing? If not your chances of being hacked are pretty small other than someone turning your computer into a bot. Store/save no passwords on the machine and make sure all your personal info is stored on something removable. Heck you're more at risk if your using Facebook, Twit-ter, etc.

Are you carrying state secrets around on that thing? If not your chances of being hacked are pretty small other than someone turning your computer into a bot. Store/save no passwords on the machine and make sure all your personal info is stored on something removable. Heck you're more at risk if your using Facebook, Twit-ter, etc.

I wouldn't want to insult myself through protecting the things that put me where I am today.

I wouldn't want to insult myself through protecting the things that put me where I am today.
Okay. Guess that made sense to you...... :dunno:
Do what you want but you're seriously overdoing it unless you keep everything of importance on your computer, that's something I would never recommend anyone should do. That's asking for trouble regardless of what steps you take. Unless you're a person of some wealth or importance the likelihood that your computer would be targeted by advanced, dedicated hackers is almost non existent. What's more likely is some amateur hackers could try just because they can, more of a what can we find here scenario, pro hackers typically aren't interested in solo "small game".

Or... if you are that concerned... just shut off your router every night.

Me...I built an underground bunker for my laptop. It is 14 ft deep, with 6" concrete on all sides. Only set me back by $12,000.

Do what you want but you're seriously overdoing it unless you keep everything of importance on your computer, that's something I would never recommend anyone should do. That's asking for trouble regardless of what steps you take. Unless you're a person of some wealth or importance the likelihood that your computer would be targeted by advanced, dedicated hackers is almost non existent. What's more likely is some amateur hackers could try just because they can, more of a what can we find here scenario, pro hackers typically aren't interested in solo "small game".

I may or may not keep something important on my computer, that doesn't matter. European countries are hostile against privacy invasion and you know what, their borders are ten times stronger than America's. I'm starting to question what about this country is worth staying for.

I don't need an excuse to enjoy my rights. I don't have to prove or earn my rights either.

You seem like you know computers. I run windows 95 on a Babbage difference engine with a dial-up modem. Should I upgrade?
The Babbage is still a great machine, particularly in areas where is no wired electricity, the wind never blows, there is no flowing water and the sun doesn't shine. Windows 95, however, is a memory hog in light of the capacity of the Babbage You CAN speed it up a little, though, but only by lubricating all the moving parts with fresh sperm whale oil.

Last edited:

I may or may not keep something important on my computer, that doesn't matter. European countries are hostile against privacy invasion and you know what, their borders are ten times stronger than America's. I'm starting to question what about this country is worth staying for.

I don't need an excuse to enjoy my rights. I don't have to prove or earn my rights either.
Okie dokie...... :rolleyes-41:
Make sure your tin foil supply isn't running low.

Well, this thread isn't about being a paranoid conspiracy theorist. It's about actually disconnecting the internet when you want it disconnected instead of thinking you disconnected the internet while its still running in the background and who knows what people are browsing your hard disk. This all points to the dishonesty of the computer software manufacturers who are selling a product barely a fraction of the quality of what we were using ten years ago.

Imagine buying a brand new car and thinking of course youre the only one that can drive it then you find out otherwise.

Kinda like how your vote doesn't matter because the elections are rigged. They weren't always rigged and once upon a time your vote did count.

Last edited:

Well, this thread isn't about being a paranoid conspiracy theorist. It's about actually disconnecting the internet when you want it disconnected instead of thinking you disconnected the internet while its still running in the background and who knows what people are browsing your hard disk. This all points to the dishonesty of the computer software manufacturers who are selling a product barely a fraction of the quality of what we were using ten years ago.
If that was your intent then why did you mention your views on where the country is headed? That's what I was addressing....... :eusa_whistle:
But this is the computer subform, we'll keep politics out.
As for your worries over someone hacking your computer, they're extremely overblown, only a tinfoil hat would think there are those out there consistently perusing their hard drive. And if your that paranoid don't use the internet at all or switch operating systems or install Wireshark to monitor your network traffic.

Forum List

Back