I don't know if I can take Windows....

I've got my meds right here. Plasma 5 on Kubuntu. Two monitors, four desktops, eight open programs, including Chromium and Firefox.

Well aren't you special...

images

Say sparky, how long does it take to open Catia on that Kuntu machine? Oh, that's right. Well, how about Project? Oops, another no go. Well, SQL Management studio then? Ooops..

I'll quit fucking with you, we know Linux doesn't do business. So, how about Gimp2, you CAN run that. Pops up in just under 4 seconds on this I7 with Windows 10. Depixelate on a 3858 X 2337 .psd took about 2 seconds. But it's got 8 cores to use, oh wait, Ubuntu doesn't hyperthread, so you could only use the 4 physical cores... :(
Still tethered to the M$ propaganda machine I see........ Well, guess ya gotta worship something....... :eusa_whistle:

Well I discovered my wifi problem on this laptop which I thought was M$ related was really my wifi card going bad (why I first dumped Windows on this machine). Less than five minutes to replace it and configure it on reboot. Reinstalled with the 8.1 disc that came with it then upgraded again to Win 10. Turned off almost everything in settings, uninstalled almost all the Win 10 bloatware (can't uninstall Cortana or Edge as they're part of the core but disabled them and IE), blocked telemetry, turned off updates, installed Classic Shell start menu and installed the old Windows 7 games.
So far so good and it is much faster.

Well I discovered my wifi problem on this laptop which I thought was M$ related was really my wifi card going bad (why I first dumped Windows on this machine). Less than five minutes to replace it and configure it on reboot. Reinstalled with the 8.1 disc that came with it then upgraded again to Win 10. Turned off almost everything in settings, uninstalled almost all the Win 10 bloatware (can't uninstall Cortana or Edge as they're part of the core but disabled them and IE), blocked telemetry, turned off updates, installed Classic Shell start menu and installed the old Windows 7 games.
Why unhappy with Windows 8.1? So much effort...

Bought a new computer Tuesday last, removed the adware, and MSW 10 seems fine,

I was part of the user Beta testing for 8, was one of many that told them 8 was great for tablets and phones but would not be accepted by most using laptops and desktops, I was right. Since I use laptops and desktops I've despised 8 and 8.1 since I tested it. As to why I do my best to configure 10 to be more like 7 plus turn off so many M$ added features...... Win 10 is a bastard hybrid of 8.1 and 7 (visually) that is adware and spyware disguised as an operating system but it has some obvious improvements over both 7 and 8. At least there are enough people who think like me otherwise all those workarounds wouldn't be available.

I was part of the user Beta testing for 8, was one of many that told them 8 was great for tablets and phones but would not be accepted by most using laptops and desktops, I was right. Since I use laptops and desktops I've despised 8 and 8.1 since I tested it. As to why I do my best to configure 10 to be more like 7 plus turn off so many M$ added features...... Win 10 is a bastard hybrid of 8.1 and 7 (visually) that is adware and spyware disguised as an operating system but it has some obvious improvements over both 7 and 8. At least there are enough people who think like me otherwise all those workarounds wouldn't be available.
By installing startisback, you get rid of all these Windows 8 features like chams bar etc and you get a proper start menu. It is like Windows 7 then with just a 1 MB tool.

By installing startisback, you get rid of all these Windows 8 features like chams bar etc and you get a proper start menu. It is like Windows 7 then with just a 1 MB tool.
Startisback costs, it's cheap but still. Also not sure I want any Russian to have any of my banking information, might have trace back banking abilities............ :eusa_whistle:

Startisback costs, it's cheap but still. Also not sure I want any Russian to have any of my banking information, might have trace back banking abilities............ :eusa_whistle:
There are ...ehhhm.. "workarounds".
Surely, I offered it already, I guess. Here you got both versions. The Win 10 Version can prevent Cortana from starting with the system :smile:

Download Startisback.zip (2.05 MB) now. Fast and easy with at workupload.com

Well, the Win 8 version is an original with a license to be added to the registry (reg file). The Win 10 version has a license already included in the installer. Do not use versions that come with "patches" or "activators".

I know, sounds like advertising in the first place but it is the best tool and includes no compromises or disadvantages. I would neither use Win8 or 10 without it.

That link tell me to disable my adblockers and accept cookies...... Oh and something about login and sharing...... No thaa
Surely, I offered it already, I guess. Here you got both versions. The Win 10 Version can prevent Cortana from starting with the system :smile:

Well, the Win 8 version is an original with a license to be added to the registry (reg file). The Win 10 version has a license already included in the installer. Do not use versions that come with "patches" or "activators".

I know, sounds like advertising in the first place but it is the best tool and includes no compromises or disadvantages. I would neither use Win8 or 10 without it.

That link wants me to disable my adblockers and accept cookies...... Also want's me to login to "share"..... Thanks, no thanks.
I'm happy with what I've done. :thup:

That link tell me to disable my adblockers and accept cookies...... Oh and something about login and sharing...... No thaa

That link wants me to disable my adblockers and accept cookies...... Also want's me to login to "share"..... Thanks, no thanks.
IDK whats going on. I am currently testing Opera which has now an inbuilt adblocker that I have enabled instead of adblock plus. workupload neither displays ads nor does it refuse to work. It also features sharing without registration (that´s why I chose it to be my new upload tool, I don´t have an account there). And cookies? Yeah, maybe, didn´t care. Almost every page sets cookies, no problem there. However, if you are interested in good stuff, download it. There is no one forcing you to do so, though :D

IDK whats going on. I am currently testing Opera which has now an inbuilt adblocker that I have enabled instead of adblock plus. workupload neither displays ads nor does it refuse to work. It also features sharing without registration (that´s why I chose it to be my new upload tool, I don´t have an account there). And cookies? Yeah, maybe, didn´t care. Almost every page sets cookies, no problem there. However, if you are interested in good stuff, download it. There is no one forcing you to do so, though :D
Download what? Nothing there to download. :dunno:

As noted you can set Windows Update to run when you want in general.

For the 'Lock Screen', that is the static screen when you first start Windows 10, there is a procedure to eliminate that entirely. It requires a small change in the registry. Check at CNET or search for it online. Why MS wouldn't make this an option to turn on and off is another point of mediocrity. What good is this screen in the first place? "Hi, here's a new Windows, we've spent three years figuring out how to waste you time for no apparent reason".

Also, you can download Windows 10 onto a Flash Drive and do a clean hard drive format (as if you had a Windows 10 disc) and format and install from the Flash Drive. Search for this option as well. If you have a valid Activation Key from Windows 7 or 8 you can use that to activate your new install of Windows 10. Also, when upgrading to Windows 10 you can select an option that will put all of your files, not the programs but just files, into a folder called Windows.old or something similar that will be there when the new version of Windows 10 is up and running. So you won't lose all those files. (Only when upgrading from one Windows to another. A clean install with format won't save the old files.)

I also held out with Windows 7 even though they've been trying to force me to upgrade since August last year. Windows XP has been by far the best Windows OS. Windows 7 is a close second. The rest suck moth balls. I'd be happy if they just upgraded XP every two years. "Get ready for XP-2018. XP-2020 is due out in a couple months..."

Windows 10 seems to run well so far (I've had it for a week), but the changes they made were cosmetic and many are just intrusive. I turned off Cortana, deleted almost all the Xbox looking squares on the start menu. All they did was make it different how you do things. You don't left click Start to restart or turn your pc off, you right click then select from a menu. Thank you for changing something just so you can say you changed it.

After Windows 10 installed a week ago they ask you to do a survey. I asked how it is they have unlimited money to hire the best people and they continuallly, over DECADES, get things wrong. I also am one who will be looking to move to a Mac.

Last edited:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
Nope, nothing like that at the link you provided. :dunno:

giphy.gif
Can you make a screenshot for me?

giphy.gif
Can you make a screenshot for me?
Nope, never done it and don't know how besides like I said, I'm happy with what I've done so far.

Forum List

Back