I don't know if I can take Windows....

I have had literally zero problems with Windows 10 across 400+ machines.

Yes...and I have some awesome real estate in mid-southern Florida that I need to sell for tax purposes...I'll make you a millionaire!
It's an amazing coincidence that people that make money dicking around with Windows think so highly of it.

LOL

"100's of machines and no problems"...yes...and Santa Claus flies around the world in one night.
Hilarious

There are hardware considerations so you might want to look into it. Also, you should have installed Lubuntu. The L is for Laptop, I don't know what specifically is different but it could matter. I don't need to run 50 different office programs when LibreOffice does it all. For free. I also like that the updating is when I choose, what I choose and no anti-virus needed. If I bought something with Windows on it, it would disappear fast.

As long as you aren't doing things professionally, Libre works pretty decently. But it isn't office, not by a long shot. I'm finishing up my doctoral thesis, and I sure wouldn't try to do that with Libre. For one thing I am part of a team, and the collaboration tools are vital, as are the OLE features to Project, Visio, and Excel.

Anyway, on the same hardware, Windows 10 performs better. This has Vivid Vervet, because Ubuntu releases new versions constantly.

Since IOS is the #1 target of viruses and malware, the old nonsense of Windows being more vulnerable is dead. Android (Linux) is the #2 target. The reason these two OS's get hit so often is simple, they are the biggest.

Linux is not inherently safe, it just was traditionally too small to bother with. Oh, and some of those Android viruses are being set loose on Linux desktops, so don't get caught by your false sense of security.

There are hardware considerations so you might want to look into it. Also, you should have installed Lubuntu. The L is for Laptop, I don't know what specifically is different but it could matter. I don't need to run 50 different office programs when LibreOffice does it all. For free. I also like that the updating is when I choose, what I choose and no anti-virus needed. If I bought something with Windows on it, it would disappear fast.

As long as you aren't doing things professionally, Libre works pretty decently. But it isn't office, not by a long shot. I'm finishing up my doctoral thesis, and I sure wouldn't try to do that with Libre. For one thing I am part of a team, and the collaboration tools are vital, as are the OLE features to Project, Visio, and Excel.

Anyway, on the same hardware, Windows 10 performs better. This has Vivid Vervet, because Ubuntu releases new versions constantly.

Since IOS is the #1 target of viruses and malware, the old nonsense of Windows being more vulnerable is dead. Android (Linux) is the #2 target. The reason these two OS's get hit so often is simple, they are the biggest.

Linux is not inherently safe, it just was traditionally too small to bother with. Oh, and some of those Android viruses are being set loose on Linux desktops, so don't get caught by your false sense of security.
You are one funny dude. Is Windows safer than Linux? Never heard anyone say so, I don't even run anti-virus. Never did on the Macs either. I'm not even going to argue how stupid that is.

LTS is 5 years for a Linux distro. After that it quits updating but still works so I don't get that point either. I remember updates every time I checked with Windows so it's a weird point.

Look we get it. You live off of MS shit, it's how you eat. But when you have to come here and lie it's just pathetic.

You are one funny dude. Is Windows safer than Linux? Never heard anyone say so, I don't even run anti-virus. Never did on the Macs either. I'm not even going to argue how stupid that is.

I didn't say that. I said that Linux was fairly safe from viruses for a long time because it was too small to bother with. Android has changed that.

Mobile Security Threats | Android Security Issues | Kaspersky Lab US

Most of these won't attack desktop Linux, a few will though.

The other issue is that that the Warez people, the major purveyors of viruses, were mostly running Linux and would target what they saw as noobs running WIndows.

LTS is 5 years for a Linux distro. After that it quits updating but still works so I don't get that point either. I remember updates every time I checked with Windows so it's a weird point.

Look we get it. You live off of MS shit, it's how you eat. But when you have to come here and lie it's just pathetic.

Ubuntu updates just as often as Windows, which actually is a good thing, not a bad thing. I just pointed out that I'm one version back because Ubuntu is constantly releasing new versions. There is yet another one coming out next month.

Oh, and what "lie" do you claim? I find you who have an OS as a religion to be unstable.

I didn't say that. I said that Linux was fairly safe from viruses for a long time because it was too small to bother with. Android has changed that.

Mobile Security Threats | Android Security Issues | Kaspersky Lab US

Most of these won't attack desktop Linux, a few will though.

The other issue is that that the Warez people, the major purveyors of viruses, were mostly running Linux and would target what they saw as noobs running WIndows.
If I ever need antivirus software, I'll download it. But I'd never run Windows without. Your comparison with tablets and phones isn't realistic. My desktop isn't open, permissions required for everything. Android is user friendly (like windows) and wide open to attacks.

Ubuntu updates just as often as Windows, which actually is a good thing, not a bad thing. I just pointed out that I'm one version back because Ubuntu is constantly releasing new versions. There is yet another one coming out next month.

Oh, and what "lie" do you claim? I find you who have an OS as a religion to be unstable.
Look, asshole. I've used all of the above and like Linux best. You can't nurse off of them so you pound your tonsils on the Microsoft meat. Long term support updates for 5 years, no need to install a new release if you don't want to. When I eventually do, I'll spend an hour, put it on another partition, if I like it, I'll keep it. How is that inferior in some way? Program and system updates do come in, but so do Windows, so your point makes no sense.

If I ever need antivirus software, I'll download it. But I'd never run Windows without. Your comparison with tablets and phones isn't realistic. My desktop isn't open, permissions required for everything. Android is user friendly (like windows) and wide open to attacks.

Because you are a fanatic, you shut your brain down,

I pointed out the fact that Apple and Linux were once considered immune to malware. But they weren't and aren't, they were simply irrelevant so no one bothered. The moment either of them got big, suddenly they became targets.

Can you grasp that? Can you calm yourself from your religious fervour long enough to comprehend what is being said?

Look, asshole. I've used all of the above and like Linux best. You can't nurse off of them so you pound your tonsils on the Microsoft meat. Long term support updates for 5 years, no need to install a new release if you don't want to. When I eventually do, I'll spend an hour, put it on another partition, if I like it, I'll keep it. How is that inferior in some way? Program and system updates do come in, but so do Windows, so your point makes no sense.

Moron, I'm running Linux as we speak. I make sure I keep abreast of all desktop OS's.

Yes, I am an actual professional, rather than an anger filled hobbyist. I have to support hundreds of machines in a business environment where they must work every day. Most of my users have zero chance of success with Linux.

I don't care if you run Linux, knock yourself out. What you claim of Windows is a lie, as you know, but I have no tie to any OS, so I don't care what you run at home.

I pointed out the fact that Apple and Linux were once considered immune to malware. But they weren't and aren't, they were simply irrelevant so no one bothered. The moment either of them got big, suddenly they became targets.

Can you grasp that? Can you calm yourself from your religious fervour long enough to comprehend what is being said?

Moron, I'm running Linux as we speak. I make sure I keep abreast of all desktop OS's.

Yes, I am an actual professional, rather than an anger filled hobbyist. I have to support hundreds of machines in a business environment where they must work every day. Most of my users have zero chance of success with Linux.

I don't care if you run Linux, knock yourself out. What you claim of Windows is a lie, as you know, but I have no tie to any OS, so I don't care what you run at home.
You're the fanatic. Fanatics lie and try desperately to misrepresent what others say. You can't stand it that not everyone gulps from the same fountain. Tough shit. You want to come here and lie about me, Linux or Windows and I'll call you on it. You make money with MS shit so you have an invested interest, I don't!

How am I a moron because you have Linux going? That makes even less sense. What I claim of Windows is a lie? Fuck you. I said I wouldn't run it without anti-virus software, that's the truth.

You went on about Linux updating as if it were somehow meaningful. Depending on the distro you get updates while it's current. Just like windows, although not as big. The distro you can replace every 5 years with a LTS distro. How is that a fault? Even every two years is no problem. Or one.

You're the fanatic. Fanatics lie and try desperately to misrepresent what others say. You can't stand it that not everyone gulps from the same fountain. Tough shit. You want to come here and lie about me, Linux or Windows and I'll call you on it. You make money with MS shit so you have an invested interest, I don't!

How am I a moron because you have Linux going? That makes even less sense. What I claim of Windows is a lie? Fuck you. I said I wouldn't run it without anti-virus software, that's the truth.

You went on about Linux updating as if it were somehow meaningful. Depending on the distro you get updates while it's current. Just like windows, although not as big. The distro you can replace every 5 years with a LTS distro. How is that a fault? Even every two years is no problem. Or one.

There are meds available that can help you.

I'm just sayin.

There are meds available that can help you.

I'm just sayin.
I've got my meds right here. Plasma 5 on Kubuntu. Two monitors, four desktops, eight open programs, including Chromium and Firefox.

I've got my meds right here. Plasma 5 on Kubuntu. Two monitors, four desktops, eight open programs, including Chromium and Firefox.

Well aren't you special...

images

Say sparky, how long does it take to open Catia on that Kuntu machine? Oh, that's right. Well, how about Project? Oops, another no go. Well, SQL Management studio then? Ooops..

I'll quit fucking with you, we know Linux doesn't do business. So, how about Gimp2, you CAN run that. Pops up in just under 4 seconds on this I7 with Windows 10. Depixelate on a 3858 X 2337 .psd took about 2 seconds. But it's got 8 cores to use, oh wait, Ubuntu doesn't hyperthread, so you could only use the 4 physical cores... :(

Well aren't you special...

images

Say sparky, how long does it take to open Catia on that Kuntu machine? Oh, that's right. Well, how about Project? Oops, another no go. Well, SQL Management studio then? Ooops..

I'll quit fucking with you, we know Linux doesn't do business. So, how about Gimp2, you CAN run that. Pops up in just under 4 seconds on this I7 with Windows 10. Depixelate on a 3858 X 2337 .psd took about 2 seconds. But it's got 8 cores to use, oh wait, Ubuntu doesn't hyperthread, so you could only use the 4 physical cores... :(
LOL, how long does it take you to open Microsoft Paint on your Linux partition. Dude. I have Gimp of course. Open source programs comes out on open source operating systems first, you know. I mostly use Krita, I have very little use for Gimp anymore.

I have a i7 8 core deal too. SSD hard drive. I click on shit and it just appears open. NO loading time. What's all that got to do with anything though?

"Linux doesn't do business"....rotfl
SQL management?...lol.... SQL was being used when Bill Gates was still in braces. You think SQL is a Microsoft thing? Too funny.

SQL management?...lol.... SQL was being used when Bill Gates was still in braces. You think SQL is a Microsoft thing? Too funny.

Ubuntu <> Unix, sparky.

Those who do use Linux in business are using either Red Hat (paid) or Suse (Unix).

Try again.

What are you talking about? You said "Linux don't do business"...wtf does that have to do with Ubuntu?

Ubuntu <> Unix, sparky.

Those who do use Linux in business are using either Red Hat (paid) or Suse (Unix).

Try again.
Fascinating inside knowledge there, Poindexter ....oh wait, Google uses Linux Mint to develop Android.

Fail.

Forum List

Back