I can't believe they let this happen!

I have no issue with it. The guy wanted to kill himself so he wasn't disappointed. Why should any of those first responders risk one or more of their lives to save that jackhole? He got what he deserved.

Did he really want to kill himself?

I read that he kept looking back at them. It read almost like he was pleading for them to come save his butt. I have also read that most people who commit suicide or let people think they are trying to do so are actually seeking help/sympathy rather than trying to kill themselves. Maybe he was mentally ill and needed them to save him?

Immie

Did he or didn't he he was a legal adult and this is personal responsibility. One can live or die by ones actions and should not expect a nanny state to pull them out.

man wants to kill himself he can do that as far as I am concerned.

Many a suicidal person has been saved or recovered from suicide attempts, had their depression treated, and went on to live normal productive lives.
POV's like yours contribute to making this country just a little less great.

I have no issue with it. The guy wanted to kill himself so he wasn't disappointed. Why should any of those first responders risk one or more of their lives to save that jackhole? He got what he deserved.

I read that he kept looking back at them. It read almost like he was pleading for them to come save his butt. I have also read that most people who commit suicide or let people think they are trying to do so are actually seeking help/sympathy rather than trying to kill themselves. Maybe he was mentally ill and needed them to save him?

Immie

Did he or didn't he he was a legal adult and this is personal responsibility. One can live or die by ones actions and should not expect a nanny state to pull them out.

Following your line of logic, then V.A. mental health services should be done away with for war vets suffering from PTSD and you would not be opposed to them offing themselves by the thousands.
Creep!

The articles self explanatory..but you'd think savings lives is their main Job..Yup.. California the compassionate State...

----------------------:evil:

Police and firemen in Alameda, California watched a man drown on Monday after realizing they did not have proper certifications for water rescue, leaving them open to possible lawsuits if they attempted to save him.

The drowning victim, 53-year-old Raymond Zack, was apparently suicidal, according to a report from the scene. He waded out about 150 yards into cold waters off Crown Beach in Alameda and took about an hour to drown himself.

A crowd of about 75 gathered to watch the bizarre scene, which saw police and firemen just standing at shoreline watching helplessly. After the man had drowned, authorities couldn’t even go into the surf to retrieve the body. They instead recruited a passer-by for the job.

City officials reportedly blamed the incident on budget cuts and said they would have a discussion about why Alameda, an island city, does not have proper authorization to rescue people from the waters surrounding it.

Budget cuts force Calif. police and firemen to watch man drown*|*Raw Replay

Well, that's the benefit of living in a super litigious society like ours. The city is a lazy bunch of cowards who should be taken to court for not rendering aid, as well getting fired charges for failing to protect the public. This is nothing more them political CYA. I cant wait for the day when those living in Cali wise up and voter out the fascist liberals who are running the best state in the union into the ground,

If you're not qualified for water rescue, particular if the drowning person is suicidal, you shouldn't attempt the rescue. Too often, someone without training jumps in to save a drowning person and is pulled under resulting in two deaths. The city should be taken to task regardless of budget crises.

If you're not qualified for water rescue, particular if the drowning person is suicidal, you shouldn't attempt the rescue. Too often, someone without training jumps in to save a drowning person and is pulled under resulting in two deaths. The city should be taken to task regardless of budget crises.

I can't believe there were no first responders there that had not previously been trained in water rescue. Like they stopped the training only two years ago. :eusa_whistle:

I can't believe there were no first responders there that had not previously been trained in water rescue. Like they stopped the training only two years ago. :eusa_whistle:
They have been trained but weren't certified.

"Michael D'Orazi, interim fire chief in the city of Alameda, said 57-year-old Raymond Zack's death on Monday was "very regrettable," but said rules had prevented his officers from attempting to rescue the man."

City changes rules after police watch man drown | The Raw Story

Budget cuts stops compassion?

Budget cuts and policies often force people to put their own best interests over those of another.

Sure, one of these guys could have waded in and save him... and then faced disciplinary action and possible termination for violating policies & procedures. I've seen it happen in the industry that I work in (electric utility).

In terms of the general public.... Does CA have a "Good Samaritan" Law? If not, I can't blame them either. Even if CA does have it, were any of those people trained to make such a rescue?

The articles self explanatory..but you'd think savings lives is their main Job..Yup.. California the compassionate State...

----------------------:evil:

Police and firemen in Alameda, California watched a man drown on Monday after realizing they did not have proper certifications for water rescue, leaving them open to possible lawsuits if they attempted to save him.

The drowning victim, 53-year-old Raymond Zack, was apparently suicidal, according to a report from the scene. He waded out about 150 yards into cold waters off Crown Beach in Alameda and took about an hour to drown himself.

A crowd of about 75 gathered to watch the bizarre scene, which saw police and firemen just standing at shoreline watching helplessly. After the man had drowned, authorities couldn’t even go into the surf to retrieve the body. They instead recruited a passer-by for the job.

City officials reportedly blamed the incident on budget cuts and said they would have a discussion about why Alameda, an island city, does not have proper authorization to rescue people from the waters surrounding it.

Budget cuts force Calif. police and firemen to watch man drown*|*Raw Replay

Threads Merged. -EZ

Sorry Immanuel...I didn't realize you had a thread going...:redface:

So what happened to those compassionate liberals..? dang..

At least his loving and desparate Mother got to watch it.. that should make you happier...:evil:

Last edited:
It was not budget cuts but an apathetic, self-centered public that allowed that man to drown.

I'm getting really tired of budget cuts being blamed for everything from child neglect to hangnails and Republicans being blamed for budget cuts as that is usually the only group interested in scaling back an every more bloated, expensive, inefficient, ineffective government at all levels.

Budget cuts halted essential training? What is still being funded that would not have put lives at higher risk or that otherwise we could live quite nicely without. I'm sure there are a lot of things that could have been looked at.

A man is dead because nobody had the character to go into the water and pull him back to shore.

It's as simple as that.

They have been trained but weren't certified.

"Michael D'Orazi, interim fire chief in the city of Alameda, said 57-year-old Raymond Zack's death on Monday was "very regrettable," but said rules had prevented his officers from attempting to rescue the man."

City changes rules after police watch man drown | The Raw Story

I've been trained to save you.....but OOPS!.....I'm not certified. So die MF'er.
This is what we have come to........:eek:

The article said he was suicidal, but it makes no difference to me if he was or not. He purposely put himself in a life threatening situation and got what was coming to him.

The article said he was suicidal, but it makes no difference to me if he was or not. He purposely put himself in a life threatening situation and got what was coming to him.

Most people who are stopped from committing suicide go on to get help, reclaim their perspective, and are eternally grateful that somebody intervened on their behalf.

Most Americans I think don't subscribe to any mystical theory that it is wrong to interfere with another person's karma when that person is intent on harming himself or herself.

There have been experiments though that the larger the group involved, the fewer 'heroes' there are likely to be. One I read (and saw demonstrated on TV) was the case of a waiting room. When the room was pretty full, a person moaning and crying behind a screen prompted the group to look at each other but it took a long time for anybody to react. But if only one or a few people were in the room, somebody would almost always get up and look behind the screen.

What makes this incident different, however, is that there were people hired to provide public safety present. And still nobody acted.

It was not budget cuts but an apathetic, self-centered public that allowed that man to drown.

I'm getting really tired of budget cuts being blamed for everything from child neglect to hangnails and Republicans being blamed for budget cuts as that is usually the only group interested in scaling back an every more bloated, expensive, inefficient, ineffective government at all levels.

Budget cuts halted essential training? What is still being funded that would not have put lives at higher risk or that otherwise we could live quite nicely without. I'm sure there are a lot of things that could have been looked at.

A man is dead because nobody had the character to go into the water and pull him back to shore.

It's as simple as that.

In one of the top liberal bastions of the country... how could this be?

Is it just me, or is Don't Taz Me Bro going out of his way to be an uncompassionate ****?

Yes, in some circumstances i.e - jumping off of a tall building or in front of a car, it's fairly obvious to all those concerned - those in the process of taking their life and involuntary audience alike, that as soon as they put themselves in harm's immediate way, there's no turning back. In this case, however, wading out into water in order to drown yourself seems more like a deperate cry for help rather than a determined case of suicide.

I think we will see more and more of things like this as cities across the country are forced to cut budgets and do away with training. You can't hire people and not train them and then expect them to risk their lives.

Then don't hire them, let them volunteer.

Immie

Following your line of logic, then V.A. mental health services should be done away with for war vets suffering from PTSD and you would not be opposed to them offing themselves by the thousands.
Creep!

You are not following my line of logic very well.

Immie

With a couple Trillion dollar budget paid for by tax payers... You'd think an entire 50 states should DEMAND basic public services and our leadership should NOT choose to watch houses burn or watch people drown over money. That's just dumb.

Forum List

Back