" I am tired of doing business this way"

Discussion in 'Economy' started by iamwhatiseem, Feb 3, 2011.

1. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,122
    "I am tired of doing business this way".
    The lament of business owners, managers and sales executives.
    I'll say it again....I am tired of doing business this way.

Today, a woman I have known for 10 years, have purchased at least $1 mil in materials and services from..walked into my office for the last time.
    The company she had worked for, for 20 years is finalizing a deal to be purchased by a larger company tomorrow. She already knows she will be offered a severance and sent on her way.
    In the last 2 years, so many, many people I have come to know as friends thru business have done the same, or by phone. Wishing each other the best, listening to them trying to remain upbeat..f*ck.

I am tired of doing business this way.

Last week in a trade publication the results of a national poll of 450 businesses, a poll I myself took part in - was given 10 choices to describe "What is the #1 priority of your capital purchases in the next 3 years". 70%...that is seventy percent...chose "to invest in technology to lower cost and become more efficient"...an answer...I also gave.

Growth, product expansion, product improvements...pheh...who needs that?
    People don't want these things - they want whatever you sell....cheaper.
    Lower cost, reduce overhead, "cut the fat", merge with competitors - BECOME MORE EFFICIENT.
    You have to.
    Providing a great product, dependable service, longterm relationships with your clients....all...pale to compare to the almighty bottom price.
    How cheap can you sell it for.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  2. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    I am sorry, iamwhatiseem. No one ever talks about the stress on employers who are forced to let people go, or on business colleagues who value these relationships and miss them when they're over.

3. william the wie

william the wie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,614
    Unhappily this trend will continue for the foreseeable future.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    What?

You don't like the Conservative Corporatist Anti-Capitalist model?

Conservatives and their love of the third world.

Go fig.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. draper

draper Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    There are probably more of you that feel that way than you think.

6. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    One must keep increasing their profits.

7. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,176
    That would be how you feed the family.

8. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,122
    Hardly.
    If you are not in the finance business, or the oil business, or in the green energy business...you are overwhelmingly under the threat of NO profit.
    It has not been about increasing profits for two and a half years now - it is about survival.
    Finding revenue is not all that difficult, in fact it is easy - finding revenue you can make a profit off of is becoming a war.
    People who are not in business are unaware of this. They may not know just how many mergers and acquisitions that have taken place in the last 13 months. Each and every one of those mergers resulted in lay-offs, doors closed and services ended. If a person believes these take place to "increase profits" - they are mistaken. They overwhelmingly take place because one of the companies wasn't going to make it on their own so they sold their business to a competitor...or the two talked and knew that unless they merge they will not be able to compete in the near future.

9. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    This continuing path of capitalism, one that denies the humanity of its workers and, frankly, its customers, too, cannot last.

In our lifetimes we have capital migrate from this nation to third world nations because the cost of doing business there is so much cheaper, and because --fineally-- manufactured goods coming into this nation come in free of tariffs.

This is a sort of abandonment (without announcing it, of course) of the social contract tht this nation once had.

And that social contract was based on the premise that we operate in the best intersts of the NATION including all citizens, rather than what we're doing now which is operating on behalf of an very select CLASS in this nation.

Now that's more than enough social disuption to stress out a nation, but thanks to technology, we are facing still another stress to the social contract.

As tecnology makes it increasingly easier to make products with fewer workers we marginalize and devalue workers.

And not just the workers whose jobs are lost to advancement in tecnology, but to all workers.

Ultimately 99% of todays jobs will be done by technology.

So does that mean that we only need 1% of the population?

It does if you believe that market forces are the very best decided for how your society is run.

These people who are tired of doing business "this way".

Well that's them expressing their discontent with the social contract from the perspective that they have within this society.

They may not realize that what is changing is the social contract, but they certainly understand that they're growing increasingly dissatisfied with their role in it.

10. B. Kidd

B. Kidd Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,893
    Alot of people forget about the human factor that was partially responsible for our post WW II financial and manufacturing success. Soldiers who had fought together ended up on Wall St. and in Industry and formed lasting ethical business relationships.
    Good OP.