Human rights groups ask Obama to end police immigrant checks

Angelhair

Aug 22, 2009
LOS ANGELES - Hundreds of human rights groups are asking the Obama administration to end programs that allow local police to check the immigration status of arrestees.

A letter to the president Wednesday says it encourages racial profiling and calls it a dangerous merger of the federal immigration enforcement system with state criminal justice systems.

The letter is signed by the AFL-CIO and a broad range of criminal justice, peace, religious, ethnic and immigrant rights groups around the country, including the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement is expanding a program that permits local police officers to run arrestees' names through a Department of Homeland Security database.

An e-mail to Homeland Security seeking comment wasn't immediately returned.

Is there no end to the demands of the open-border loonies??? What the hell do they think this country is??? A sanctuary for the criminal element as well? Geez! God help us all!!!

LOS ANGELES - Hundreds of human rights groups are asking the Obama administration to end programs that allow local police to check the immigration status of arrestees.

A letter to the president Wednesday says it encourages racial profiling and calls it a dangerous merger of the federal immigration enforcement system with state criminal justice systems.

The letter is signed by the AFL-CIO and a broad range of criminal justice, peace, religious, ethnic and immigrant rights groups around the country, including the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement is expanding a program that permits local police officers to run arrestees' names through a Department of Homeland Security database.

An e-mail to Homeland Security seeking comment wasn't immediately returned.

Is there no end to the demands of the open-border loonies??? What the hell do they think this country is??? A sanctuary for the criminal element as well? Geez! God help us all!!!

Wait this is LA? Not Arizona? Here I thought I was reading about Arizona’s law again-- but it is LA's. Why is LA boycotting Arizona with the same law on their books??

Mebbe we should get teachers to check for illegal immigrants rather than cops? Emergency room doctors? Social workers?

Tell me...who is tasked with detecting the crime of illegal immigration? No one?

Mebbe we should get teachers to check for illegal immigrants rather than cops? Emergency room doctors? Social workers?

Tell me...who is tasked with detecting the crime of illegal immigration? No one?

Every American is duty bound to help remove those evil ones that have infiltrated into the United States.

At food stamp locations, you could just leave an ICE truck near the main entrance to shoo the flies away. And give Americans extra benefits to find the little monkeys who hide in the bushes.

Every American is duty bound to help remove those evil ones that have infiltrated into the United States.

At food stamp locations, you could just leave an ICE truck near the main entrance to shoo the flies away. And give Americans extra benefits to find the little monkeys who hide in the bushes.

Can we discuss the issue without the racist comments, please?

A few weeks ago, street gangs members held a new conference and laughingly refered to themselves as "human rights groups".

A few weeks ago, street gangs members held a new conference and laughingly refered to themselves as "human rights groups".

Where, Bullfighter?

(HTF do street gangs hold news conferences? Do they do up press packets?)

[
Where, Bullfighter?

(HTF do street gangs hold news conferences? Do they do up press packets?)

Here:

It was billed as a response to Jody Weis' trick meeting with gang leaders.

But the controversial gang press conference turned out to be an impassioned plea for jobs and opportunities for former gang members and inmates who say they can't find work.

The event, which took place at 5701 W. Jackson Boulevard on Chicago's West Side was organized by former gang enforcer Wallace 'Gator" Bradley, who was at the meeting with Weis, and community activist Jim Allen, a "free and accepted Almighty Minister" of the Vice Lords Nation.

He and other self-described "gang leaders" said threats from law enforcement officials will not stem the violence on the streets, only good paying jobs can do that.

"They say its about gangs, guns and drugs," Allen said. "We say it's about jobs, opportunities and contracts."

Late last month Police Superintendent Jody Weis held a clandestine meeting with a number of gang leaders. During the meeting Weis told the leaders his department would begin to pursue RICO statues against gang members who use violence against one another.

RICO statutes allow for law enforcement officials to seize property, including vehicles and real estate, belonging to suspects. It was originally used to take down Mafia affiliates.

The gang members at the rainy press conference said the threats won't change the behaviors of young gang members.

"They're giving us an ultimatum to "quit" instead of offering an alternative," Akeem Berry said.

Other gang leaders at the press conference expressed a measure of pride in their affiliations and said gangs are not the cause of the violence: drugs are.

"You keep saying gang violence. It's drug-related. It's not gang related. It's drug related," Akeem Berry said.

Read more at:

Gang Leaders Want Jobs - Local News - Chicago, IL - News - msnbc.com

Oh those poor gangs. Their just trying to do good!

I did hear about this, Bullfighter. Aren't Chicago street gangs black? What does this have to do with illegal immigration?

(BTWE, I enjoyed the line about "inmates cannot get work. Ain't that a bitch? Cannot go to your job whilst incarcerated?)

I did hear about this, Bullfighter. Aren't Chicago street gangs black? What does this have to do with illegal immigration?

(BTWE, I enjoyed the line about "inmates cannot get work. Ain't that a bitch? Cannot go to your job whilst incarcerated?)

There not all black. And Illinois has the highest number of gang members per capita thanks to monkeys like Luis Gutierrez, and Dick Durbin to name a few well known chimps.

Forum List

Back