How to legally have sex with children.

“The youngest wedded were three 10-year-old girls in Tennessee who married men aged 24, 25 and 31 in 2001. The youngest groom was an 11-year-old who married a 27-year-old woman in the same state in 2006.”

This is absolutely wrong and sick! It is pedophilia! I can not believe it is legal!

It's not clear to me what exactly is the OP-er's desired line of discourse for this thread.

The fact of the matter is that a great many of our forebears had sexual congress with children and plenty of them married as children. The notion that there's something morally amiss about marrying or having sex with a boy or girl who is under 18 results from nothing other than the construct whereby modern societies have deemed 18 years of age as the age of majority.

That is to say, our laws about sex and marriage with children are borne of social exigencies. To wit, a society can't very well countenance or encourage one to bear children if the same society does not also permit one to engage in contracts so as to support one's children. Similarly, if a society requires its citizens to be in school up to a given age, those young citizens can't very well comply with that requirement and maintain an employment status that allows them to provide for themselves and their children. Thus our society's proscriptions regarding sex and marriage with individuals below the age of majority are a result of there needing to be coherence in the law, not because there's an intrinsic turpitude concomitant with children having sex upon becoming fertile.

As for the OP-er's remark about obtaining a minor's parent's permission to wed their minor offspring, well, that's no different than it always was. What's changed is that culturally, parents are not these days keen to grant permission for their minor children to marry. Never have parents cottoned to the notion that their unwed minor children bear children of their own. Most probably because parents don't much like having to support a child they themselves didn't "bargain" to have. And who can blame them for that?
parents are not these days keen to grant permission for their minor children to marry.

I think it depends on what part of the country you live in. I suspect it's not a problem in most Red States.
Perhaps that's so.
I was actually making a joke. Think about Appalachia. It covers 13 Red States and is about the poorest place in the United States.

It's not clear to me what exactly is the OP-er's desired line of discourse for this thread.

The fact of the matter is that a great many of our forebears had sexual congress with children and plenty of them married as children. The notion that there's something morally amiss about marrying or having sex with a boy or girl who is under 18 results from nothing other than the construct whereby modern societies have deemed 18 years of age as the age of majority.

That is to say, our laws about sex and marriage with children are borne of social exigencies. To wit, a society can't very well countenance or encourage one to bear children if the same society does not also permit one to engage in contracts so as to support one's children. Similarly, if a society requires its citizens to be in school up to a given age, those young citizens can't very well comply with that requirement and maintain an employment status that allows them to provide for themselves and their children. Thus our society's proscriptions regarding sex and marriage with individuals below the age of majority are a result of there needing to be coherence in the law, not because there's an intrinsic turpitude concomitant with children having sex upon becoming fertile.

As for the OP-er's remark about obtaining a minor's parent's permission to wed their minor offspring, well, that's no different than it always was. What's changed is that culturally, parents are not these days keen to grant permission for their minor children to marry. Never have parents cottoned to the notion that their unwed minor children bear children of their own. Most probably because parents don't much like having to support a child they themselves didn't "bargain" to have. And who can blame them for that?
parents are not these days keen to grant permission for their minor children to marry.

I think it depends on what part of the country you live in. I suspect it's not a problem in most Red States.
Perhaps that's so.
I was actually making a joke. Think about Appalachia. It covers 13 Red States and is about the poorest place in the United States.
Okay....I'm okay with your remark being "just a joke;" however, as you have subsequently implied there is a nexus of anecdotal/coincidental existential cultural stereotypes, it's hard to believe it's just a joke you were making. The legitimacy of the "it's just a joke" retort depends in part on one's not voluntarily endeavoring to defend it. Doing so seems like "spin."

And, yes, I'm aware of the cultural stereotypes to which you refer. I find parlaying those stereotypes into implied aspersions every bit as opprobrious as I do availing oneself of stereotypes applicable to other social groups.

Too, while it's not clear to me whether you're a liberal or conservative, it doesn't matter. There's a strong case against persons of either stripe invoking stereotypes:
  • Conservatives --> Individualism
  • Liberals --> Egalitarianism
In short, I find vulgar one's making or relying on generalizations about whole classes of people.

I was 15 when I married the first time. I have known of Hispanic families selling 12 to 14 year old daughters for a case of beer. The ten year old brides in Tennessee are probably from majority Muslim cities like Murfeesboro.

With our laws colliding with foreign cultures. The foreign culture will win every time. There just aren't enough white child brides to make enforcement worthwhile.

Marry them.

In most states, there is no legal age for getting married. You only need the parents consent.

13,000 children a year are married in America

Three 10-year-old girls and an 11-year-old boy were among the youngest to wed, under legal loopholes which allow minors to marry in certain circumstances.

The minimum age for marriage across most of the US is 18, but every state has exemptions – such as parental consent or pregnancy – which allow younger children to tie the knot.

The youngest wedded were three 10-year-old girls in Tennessee who married men aged 24, 25 and 31 in 2001.

-------------------------------

Republicans complain that Muslims marry children. How many of these children in the US getting married are to Republican Conservatives?

Me personally, I feel that no one younger than 17 should be able to get married. And that with parents consent, just like going into the military.
In May, the high-profile Republican governor for New Jersey declined to sign into law a measure that would have made his state the first to ban child marriage without exception. Chris Christie claimed it would conflict with religious customs.
He didn't want to scare away Democrat voters.

Marry them.

In most states, there is no legal age for getting married. You only need the parents consent.

Three 10-year-old girls and an 11-year-old boy were among the youngest to wed, under legal loopholes which allow minors to marry in certain circumstances.

The minimum age for marriage across most of the US is 18, but every state has exemptions – such as parental consent or pregnancy – which allow younger children to tie the knot.

The youngest wedded were three 10-year-old girls in Tennessee who married men aged 24, 25 and 31 in 2001.

Republicans complain that Muslims marry children. How many of these children in the US getting married are to Republican Conservatives?

Me personally, I feel that no one younger than 17 should be able to get married. And that with parents consent, just like going into the military.
you turn anything into something about republicans .....you must be one annoying person in your pathetic life...

Oh it becomes clear. The Tennessee bill to ban child marriage was killed because it would prevent men from marrying very young boys.

Redirect Notice

Now it makes sense.

Marry them.

In May, the high-profile Republican governor for New Jersey declined to sign into law a measure that would have made his state the first to ban child marriage without exception. Chris Christie claimed it would conflict with religious customs.
He didn't want to scare away Democrat voters.

LOL.....so he appealed to his Republican base.....

Oh it becomes clear. The Tennessee bill to ban child marriage was killed because it would prevent men from marrying very young boys.

Redirect Notice

Now it makes sense.

Republicans killed the bill- that Democrats introduced- because Republicans wanted to help Evangelicals attack legal gay marriage

Two Democratic lawmakers have introduced bills to prevent marriages in Tennessee where a party is under 18 years of age, after a national nonprofit cited three cases in the state where 10-year-old girls were married to adult men.

Sen. Jeff Yarbro, D-Nashville, who is sponsoring the legislation with Rep. Darren Jernigan, D-Old Hickory, said at a press conference Monday that while many Tennesseans believe the minimum age to marry is 18, a loophole in state law actually allows a judge to waive the age requirement and does not state a minimum age.

House Majority Leader Glen Casada, a Republican from Franklin, Tenn., who sits on the House Civil Justice Subcommittee, made the motion Wednesday citing an email he received from former state Sen. David Fowler, president of the Family Action Council of Tennessee.

More: Citing gay marriage case, Tenn. GOP stalls child marriage ban

Fowler argued that passing state Rep. Darren Jernigan's bill could interfere with a lawsuit he is mounting to counter the U.S. Supreme Court's 2015 decision to legalize gay marriage in the case of Obergefell v. Hodges.

Marry them.

Why am I not surprised that you would make a thread about this...

I was 15 when I married the first time. I have known of Hispanic families selling 12 to 14 year old daughters for a case of beer. The ten year old brides in Tennessee are probably from majority Muslim cities like Murfeesboro.

With our laws colliding with foreign cultures. The foreign culture will win every time. There just aren't enough white child brides to make enforcement worthwhile.

One of the fun things about responding to an open bigot like Tipsy is how easily some of her lies are refuted.

'majority Muslim cities like Murfreesboro'
Murfreesboro, Tennessee Religion
Religion. 40.26% of the people in Murfreesboro, Tennessee are religious, meaning they affiliate with a religion. 3.47% are Catholic; 1.01% are LDS; 11.15% are another Christian faith; 0.00% in Murfreesboro, Tennessee are Jewish; 0.37% are an eastern faith; 0.20% affilitates with Islam.

I think it is fascinating that Evangelicals got the Republicans to kill a bill to end child marriage.

I had no idea children that young could be married in this country :(

I did!

Wrote about it a few times on other sites. What the OP left out is some states also need a judge to sign off on the marriage beside the Consenting Parent or guardian.

I believe Marriage laws should be changed to the age of 21 and with court permission because of pregnancy then 18.

( Most people before 25 have no clue what love is and live with lust instead... )

I did!

Wrote about it a few times on other sites. What the OP left out is some states also need a judge to sign off on the marriage beside the Consenting Parent or guardian.

I believe Marriage laws should be changed to the age of 21 and with court permission because of pregnancy then 18.

( Most people before 25 have no clue what love is and live with lust instead... )

The problem is biology is still biology and humans can have children when they are children themselves.

So basically kids can get pregnant, but we then are saying if they want to legalize their relationship they cannot.

I did!

The problem is biology is still biology and humans can have children when they are children themselves.

So basically kids can get pregnant, but we then are saying if they want to legalize their relationship they cannot.

The problem is that older men still prey on young girls and boys- and this loophole gives them a legal way to get out of jail free- marry their victim.

Forum List

Back