How the heck is it Romney's fault that Newt effed up in Virginia?

He was required to submit 10,000, he submitted 12,000. Not seeing a problem here, most candidates submit about 20% over and that's usually fine.

Wrong for a couple of reasons.
#1 - He was required to submit 10,000 signatures of qualified voters, he submitted less then those required under the law. He did not submit 12,000 qualified signatures.

#2 - He didn't even submit 12,000 signatures - he submitted 11,050. You are off by almost 1,000 votes (specifically 950).

#3 - He didn't submit 20% over the minimum requirements, he submitted only 10.5% signatures over the 10,000 limit.​

Richmond Times Dispatch (Capital Newspaper for the State of Viginia

>>>>
Joe has been told this only about 20 times, yet he still continues to lie about the number handed in. Over and over, he keeps repeating the lie.

How can someone be so willing to continue to lie, once he knows the facts - without looking like a deceitful, dirty hack?

He can't.

But it's not just a matter of how many signitures, is it? It's also a matter of their distribution across the state. The problem isn't a few thousand statewide, but the fact that he couldn't get a few hundred in specific places. With that kind of organization, a Newt candidacy was just a pipe dream, anyway. The Flavor-of-the-Month was peach, but now they've moved on!!!

You know, when picking someone to support, the last thought on my mind is, "He has an AWESOME organization. Wow. that Organization really impresses the hell out of me."

I'm more concerned that despite his awesome organization, most Republicans don't want the Weird Mormon Robot no matter how you try to package him. He was a shitty candidate 4 years ago and he's a shitty candidate now.

And now unable to actually get their guy across on his own charisma, merit and idealogy, the Republican hacks have decided to cheat.

Some fun reading: Perry Plans Suit to Challenge VA Ballot Access | Race 4 2012

"In 2008 they didn’t do apparently voter registry comparison since everybody turned more than 10.5k or 450 per district procedurally valid signatures, but they did do Petition Verification . The Petition Verification that was done to all signatures includes checking that there is proper notarization, and at least properly filled like having the address line filled, these mistakes apparently dropped Perry and Gingrich out, so they would be out by 2008 standards also.

There was full check for any mistakes in signatures and forms and procedures in 2008, and if after those the total of valid signatures fell below 10.5k or 450 per district, they were checked against RPV’s official voter list, if opposing campaign wanted to challenge those results and pay for the official voter list comparison. From what we have heard, it was the procedural validation alone that brought both Perry and Gingrich below 10k, so it wasn’t improved electronic voter database that dropped them out.

This is probably why the all 6 Republican campaigns who got to the ballot collected those 15k signatures, the key persons knew the rules and collected what they were asked to collect.

Here is observer invitation apparently to Erick Erickson from 2007 (btw funny that material found at Red State is the best material available to debunk lie, in spreading of which RS has played quite a role):
Sent: Fri Dec 14 17:59:22 2007
Subject: Petition Verification
All,
This email is to notify you that the Party has collected your petitions from the State Board of Elections.
First off, congratulations on making it through a grueling process! Now that you’ve done the hard part, we just need to verify the petitions.
We will be conducting verification at RPV HQ (115 E. Grace St, Richmond) beginning at 9:45am on Monday, December 17th. We will be doing a hard count for number of signatures based on correctness of form (see attached documents for details).
We’ve got about 40 folks coming in to help with the count, so it should proceed fairly quickly. You all are more than welcome to have one or two folks present as observers.
I will be out of town next week, so please direct any questions to either Christian Curto or Erika Fischer (copied on this email, or available at 703-254-**** and 757-618-****, respectively), who will be supervising the count.
I hope you’ll take the time to review the attached documents, so that we can get through this as rapidly and smoothly as possible. It is the goal of the Party to qualify your candidates for the ballot, but we do have an obligation to make sure that the legal requirements have been met.
Thanks,
Matt
Matthew Wells
Political Director – Central
Republican Party of Virginia

Why is the GOP Losing Virginia? Blame the Republican Party of Virginia: A Case Study in Idiocy | Redstate

I wonder if Newt thought he'd last this long? Was he serious or is he so unpolitical that he can't focus on the key items necessary for a presidential run? His thought and his comments are so all over the place you realize the criticism he gets is often spot on.

He was required to submit 10,000, he submitted 12,000. Not seeing a problem here, most candidates submit about 20% over and that's usually fine.

#1 - He was required to submit 10,000 signatures of qualified voters, he submitted less then those required under the law. He did not submit 12,000 qualified signatures.

#2 - He didn't even submit 12,000 signatures - he submitted 11,050. You are off by almost 1,000 votes (specifically 950).

#3 - He didn't submit 20% over the minimum requirements, he submitted only 10.5% signatures over the 10,000 limit.​

>>>>

Am I supposed to be impressed by this.

He submitted more than required.

the hacks disqualified them because they know their boy can't win in a fair fight.

Fuck the voters. We'll tell them who their candidates are...

Ummmm.... why aren't you guys showing up for us in November... hello. I really didn't mean that Fuck the voter thingee...

Idiocy. Pure idiocy.

I've been involved in Republican Politics since 1980. You try getting Reagan to carry Illinois against the best efforts of the Chicago Machine.

This sort of contempt for their own voters will be the end of the party, trust me.

I just love watching the right wingers fuss among themselves.

its amazing.

they get constantly played by shisters and then argue which shister is the better shister.

Putting money over every other human endevor sure makes them act crazy

>>>>

Am I supposed to be impressed by this.

He submitted more than required.

No he didn't, he submitted less than required by the law. He was required to submit 10,000 signatures of qualified voters (400 from each district). He didn't meet that requirement.

If he had submitted more than 10,000 signatures of qualified voters (400 from each district) he would be on the ballot.

>>>>

But it's not just a matter of how many signitures, is it? It's also a matter of their distribution across the state. The problem isn't a few thousand statewide, but the fact that he couldn't get a few hundred in specific places. With that kind of organization, a Newt candidacy was just a pipe dream, anyway. The Flavor-of-the-Month was peach, but now they've moved on!!!
I read earlier (but can't verify at the moment) about 2,000 of Newts signatures didn't even have a address.

Automatic disqualification right there.

I also noted from that source he *did* garner enough in each district.

Oh well, I heard differently. I assumed that the disqualified signitures brought him below the limit in certain jurisdictions. Wish I had a cite. Anyone got an even-handed one that tells the whole story?

Again, I am impressed the only people defending the Republican Party of Viriginia here -

Are Democrats.

Always be wary when your enemies are praising yoru actions.
That's bullshit.

You are just a total pathological liar, aren't you?

Again, only really seeing the Democrats getting upset about this whole issue.

I mean, a few Romney supporters (I think they are Republicans, but it's damned hard to tell) have come on here and defending it, but it's really guys like you getting your bees in a bunch about this..

This isn't something you should even care about... You guys keep claiming that your Chicago Street Punk is unbeatable, why should you even care who we run against him?

I read earlier (but can't verify at the moment) about 2,000 of Newts signatures didn't even have a address.

Automatic disqualification right there.

I also noted from that source he *did* garner enough in each district.

Oh well, I heard differently. I assumed that the disqualified signitures brought him below the limit in certain jurisdictions. Wish I had a cite. Anyone got an even-handed one that tells the whole story?

Here is some information from a very right leaning site -->> After Only 2 Qualify for Presidential Primary, Virginia GOP Chair Says State Should Change Election Law | CNSnews.com

>>>>

Again, I am impressed the only people defending the Republican Party of Viriginia here -

Are Democrats.

Always be wary when your enemies are praising yoru actions.

Sorry, registered Republican since 1978.

>>>>

suuuuuuure you are...

Yes I am.

You have some way of declaring and proving that all those who are discussing the issue and disagree with you are democrats?

Maybe supernatural powers? You have telepathetic powers?

>>>>

Last edited:
Sorry, registered Republican since 1978.

>>>>

suuuuuuure you are...

Yes I am.

You have some why of declaring and proving that all those who are discussing the issue and disagree with you are democrats?

>>>>
Of course you. Solid republican.

To other readers: I have known World Watcher for years. You can't get a more honest broker and more thorough poster when it comes to details and facts.

Republicans are lucky to have him in their ranks.

suuuuuuure you are...

Yes I am.

You have some why of declaring and proving that all those who are discussing the issue and disagree with you are democrats?

>>>>
Of course you. Solid republican.

To other readers: I have known World Watcher for years. You can't get a more honest broker and more thorough poster when it comes to details and facts.

Republicans are lucky to have him in their ranks.

Okay, when a Democrat praises you as a Republican, I'm usually suspicious.

Please. The RPV tried to pull a fast one, they got caught, and the Democrats are defending the crap out of a bad call.

I can understand why they are, really. Their whole strategy is to get Romney nominated because Romney is unelectable.

Yes I am.

You have some way of declaring and proving that all those who are discussing the issue and disagree with you are democrats?

>>>>

Doesn't take telepathy to see that you are defending hackery that helps the Democrats.

There is no excuse for this. This is the Party telling it's voters we don't trust you.

If Romney's the best guy for the job, let him make his case in a fair fight.

Do you know what I find truly offensive about the Non-Mormon Romney supporters? It's their lack of faith in real conservative values.

the only way a Republican can win is if he acts like a Democrat.

I mean, here you have the WORST president since Jimmy Carter. And the position of the GOP elites are, "We can't run someone who is too conservative! That might scare away these moderates".

And if the voters wont' go along with our pre-determined choice, we'll just take all the other choices off the ballot. I'm sure there's a rule in here that let's us do that.

Yes I am.

>>>>

Doesn't take telepathy to see that you are defending hackery that helps the Democrats.

"telepathy" :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin: (Sorry, inside joke.)

No, I've been commenting on the law as defined by the people of Virginia through they're lawfully elected Legislature.

The only "hackery" I've seen it your insistence that the Republican Party ignore the law's of Virginia and certify Gingrich when he didn't meet the minimum requirements as defined in the law.

Support for and following the law are very Republican principals, ignoring the law and doing what "feels good" are something normally associated with liberals.

>>>>

Last edited:
No, I've been commenting on the law as defined by the people of Virginia through they're lawfully elected Legislature.

The only "hackery" I've seen it your insistence that the Republican Party ignore the law's of Virginia and certify Gingrich when he didn't meet the minimum requirements as defined in the law.

Support for and following the law are very Republican principals, ignoring the law and doing what "feels good" are something normally associated with liberals.

>>>>

Oh, please. No law is just that is absolute. No law is just that is selectively enforced.

The intent of this law was to keep the guy with the tinfoil hat from getting on the ballot. it was not meant to keep major candidates off, but that is exactly how it was applied here, even though an argument can be made that two of them in fact met the requirement.

The RPV is trying to rig the game in Romney's favor. Nothing more, nothing less.

Because they know he's a weak candidate.

Forum List

Back