How intimately should teachers know their students?

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
Should they get to know the whole person, or just the one that shows up in their class?

I read a article in the local paper that said 280 teachers in Virginia had been arrested over the past decade for having sex or sending their students naked pics. The sad part was the way it sounded Virginia was one of the better performers in that regard.

intimately definition:

1. a way that involves detailed knowledge:
    "everyone knew intimately what was going on" · "he is intimately familiar with her work"
    • in a way that involves a close link or relationship:
      "themes of love and death were intimately connected"

2. in a private and personal way:
      "the pair laughed and talked intimately"
      • EUPHEMISTIC
        in a sexual way:
        "a fear of being touched intimately"

Not at all,

Some teachers have literally hundreds of students to teach.
And as a result, they are poorly taught. We need to return to the one-room schoolhouse model when the teacher knew more than one subject and knew her students and their families intimately.

The teacher student relationship should be a professional one nothing more.
Cold and sterile with no regard for the overall development of the persons? That's not even a good model for the college level.

And as a result, they are poorly taught. We need to return to the one-room schoolhouse model when the teacher knew more than one subject and knew her students and their families intimately.
You need specialized teachers when subjects become more advanced. There are math, science and reading teachers for a reason.

intimately definition:

1. a way that involves detailed knowledge:
    "everyone knew intimately what was going on" · "he is intimately familiar with her work"
    • in a way that involves a close link or relationship:
This.

You need specialized teachers when subjects become more advanced. There are math, science and reading teachers for a reason.
If students are expected to become proficient in a variety of subjects, why not teachers as well? Specialization isn't necessary grades K-8

If students are expected to become proficient in a variety of subjects, why not teachers as well? Specialization isn't necessary grade K-12.
Different people have different strengths. Teachers are not equal in their ability to teach specific subjects. Sometimes a person is a lot better at doing and teaching math than others. That person should be the math teacher.

Different people have different strengths. Teachers are not equal in their ability to teach specific subjects. Sometimes a person is a lot better at doing and teaching math than others. That person should be the math teacher.
Teaching should be collaboration between teachers and students. Both must do their best to make sure all succeed.

Some teachers have literally hundreds of students to teach.

Most teachers have hundreds of students to teach. Over the course of a year (or more), you get to know them. I've had some students for nearly two years now.

Back in the day, teachers used to room and board with their students' families.

But that was also the day in which a parent would likely whip you to a pulp if you touched their child inappropriately.

Cold and sterile with no regard for the overall development of the persons? That's not even a good model for the college level.
I don't think professional relationships have to be cold or sterile. Teachers do not need to be involved in every detail of a kid's life.

Shit I can't even remember any of the names of any teacher I had

Forum List

Back