How does society benefit from welfare?

That's a short sighted view.

"Welfare" takes many forms. The op didn't say if they meant the enormous corporate welfare, ranching and farming welfare or the woman who is struggling to keep a roof over her head and food on the table.

Its very IN to criticize that single woman who tries to play by the rules and feed and clothe her kids. The dead beat dad is down the street, drinking with Joe Walsh and other teepots.

The real problem is corporate welfare.THAT is in the trillions of dollars.

Next comes welfare ranching and farming. Does anyone else know of a business that is perpetually propped up by TAX money?

Stop shitting on single mothers - its really small bucks. If you want to stop "welfare", if you want benefit the tax payer, go for corporate welfare.

(Yeah, I know ... that would mean voting against the Queen of Corporate Welfare, Mittens himself, but that's the reality.)
The corporate welfare need sto be drastically scaled back as well, which would mean voting against the champion of welfare losers..... Barack Hussein obammy.

Corporate welfare is HUGE. But guess what, corporations have a habit of recycling those welfare dollars back into pols' campaign coffers. Do you need any more hints as to why so much more money is pumped into so-called "corporate" welfare.

And yet you guys are all for the Citizen's United ruling.

Go figure. :confused:

1. It keeps people from starving in the streets.

2. It helps keep the economy rolling(imagine if those people had crappy jobs AND had to pay out of pocket for all of the expenses that come with a household). Money in people's pockets means money spent, money spent means profits for business.

Now...I am not a big fan if Welfare in it's current form. I personally think they ought to keep their benefits, but I strongly believe that there is plenty of public works projects out there that need done. Putting them on the job, with on the job training will give them work experience, skill sets that will be marketable, empower them, rather than stigmatize them, and help improve our shitty infrastructure.

JMO.

And people object when I suggest raising the minimum wage to a living wage.
:eek:

Really?

I guess we are in agreement!

That's because the cashier at McDonald's is not doing a job worth a living wage.

The lowest paid job in the richest country in the world should be a living wage job, everything should go up from there.

But everything, including prices, will go up from there and we'll be right back to where we started only everything will cost more.

Oh please, yeah the prices will go up a little, but in relationship the raise will be worth it for the mw worker. The middle class and the rich will be paying more out of their pocket for something and our income gap may start to decrease, which is a good idea as no nation can long stand when the majority of it's wealth is in the hands of a few.

This was recognized by philosophers such as Plato and Aristotle long before we were born, you'd think all these people who went to the Ivy League schools would recognize their wisdom.

Society does not benefit from welfare. Welfare recipients do. Everyone else just has a lighter wallet.

"Welfare" takes many forms. The op didn't say if they meant the enormous corporate welfare, ranching and farming welfare or the woman who is struggling to keep a roof over her head and food on the table.

Its very IN to criticize that single woman who tries to play by the rules and feed and clothe her kids. The dead beat dad is down the street, drinking with Joe Walsh and other teepots.

Next comes welfare ranching and farming. Does anyone else know of a business that is perpetually propped up by TAX money?

Stop shitting on single mothers - its really small bucks. If you want to stop "welfare", if you want benefit the tax payer, go for corporate welfare.

(Yeah, I know ... that would mean voting against the Queen of Corporate Welfare, Mittens himself, but that's the reality.)

This post strikes me as purely partisan. I have never in my life as of yet hear a single person attack that single mom that “played by the rules” and needs help to feed and clothe her children. You seem incredibly confused or are purposely misrepresenting the truth. People attack “welfare queens,” oddly you used that term later in your post to describe corporate welfare, so it’s obvious you know what the term is and know what it applies to.

You then attack Mitt, a guy that is not even President and claim he has a political corporate welfare that is greater than the current President who by actual fact, data and reality has possibly done tens of thousands of times more corporate welfare than Mitt.

Basically I’d need to see you post a link for what Mitt “wants to do” or has done for corporate welfare and then I’d need a link showing what Obama has done with it over the last 3 and a half years. Everything I found shows welfare spending dramatically increased under Obama, it’s hard to find a graph splitting corporate welfare spending and social welfare spending, oddly under Bush it was easy to find, lol.

If you wanted to do away with corporate welfare you needed to vote for Ron Paul, =D Only guy with a true record on not supporting it with actual votes. Something tells me you don't like Paul though.

Oh please, yeah the prices will go up a little, but in relationship the raise will be worth it for the mw worker. The middle class and the rich will be paying more out of their pocket for something

How does the minimum wage worker not pay more as well? If a product or service is going to cost more due to increased overhead to provide it, how does it not affect everyone who would buy said product or service? It wouldn't apply to luxury items but take a grocery store. If the bag boys make $15 per hour instead of $8 and the low margin grocery store needs to increase prices to make up for it, the minimum wage worker pays more for it.

I suppose your theory is that the minimum wage worker, for an 8 hour day and (for example) a $2 per hour bump, makes $16 more per day, which more than makes up for the added cost of milk, for example. But if milk costs 10 cents more, eggs cost 10 cents, more, a bag of chips costs 10 cents more: it all adds up.

And minimum wage is a job killer. I get the 'living wage' argument with relationship to it but when 70% of business owners in America are small business owners, the minimum wage could be the difference between a paid job being available and not. If someone can only feasibly offer $6 per hour for 30 hours a week but can't by law, no additional job created. Even if it's not a livable wage, it could be a decent job for a teenager to take where he/she otherwise might not be able to find one. That job could be the reason he/she keeps out of trouble, learns some valuable life lesson and helps propel them up the chain in the future. Plenty of projection there but it's a valid point.

It also makes the assumption that the business owner wouldn't resort to RIFs (reduction in force) to keep the same profit margin. If you've got a company that deals in commodities where mere pennies can be the difference between someone shopping with you versus another store (and also probably having a low profit margin), if you're keeping the full force on for $2 more per hour for all of them and your competitor cuts a couple jobs in order to keep the prices down, you'd have to adapt in kind in order to compete... unless there's something special about your product that justifies the higher price. So, you could have 4 jobs lost between two stores right there due to the minimum wage increase.

Society does not benefit from welfare. Welfare recipients do. Everyone else just has a lighter wallet.

Well..all you have to do is check history to see what happens when wealth disparity becomes huge.

You get populist revolt. And in many cases, like in China and Russia, the outcomes, suck.

Ahhh. Or you could look at America prior to FDR and see the massive growth of the middle class. With the biggest welfare system America has ever had you can clearly see the eroding of that middle class.

Why go out of the country and look at Governments who’s systems are vastly different than ours for comparison? How about Italy and Greece, how is their welfare system holding up?

This is true. Social welfare is small peanuts in comparison. As to the utility of social welfare, it is necessary because capitalism has periodic and sometimes systemic downturns which leave people out of work who would otherwise still be working.

A very few hundreds of dollars to the poor single mom as opposed to TRILLIONS of corporate welfare dollars to Mittens and his cronies.

Simply no comparison.

I need numbers, and seeing that I have looked up corporate welfare spending to social welfare spending and know you're in fact wrong, I won't wait for a response seeing as it will be as nonsensical as the post you just made.

Most that don’t support social welfare also don’t sup[port corporate welfare. You go back and forth between politician and the voters, that’s the issue. Obama clearly supports corporate welfare seeing as he has been doing it on the largest scale in American history, so does your vote for Obama mean you support corporate welfare?

The lowest paid job in the richest country in the world should be a living wage job, everything should go up from there.

But everything, including prices, will go up from there and we'll be right back to where we started only everything will cost more.

Oh please, yeah the prices will go up a little, but in relationship the raise will be worth it for the mw worker. The middle class and the rich will be paying more out of their pocket for something and our income gap may start to decrease, which is a good idea as no nation can long stand when the majority of it's wealth is in the hands of a few.

This was recognized by philosophers such as Plato and Aristotle long before we were born, you'd think all these people who went to the Ivy League schools would recognize their wisdom.

It seems you have a very very very limited understanding of the impact of raising minimum wage. I honestly think I should leave it at there is no point in debate on the issue with you as you seem content with your limited and incredibly wrong view of minimum wage.

Lol, I can’t even help but think how many jobs would disappear overnight and business’s that go under due to parole eclipsing their entire budget if you had your way. Of course I’m talking about small businesses, where 5 employee’s can run them 75k a year alone…

But as I said, what would be the point of debate... prices would only slightly increase right? lol, wow...

It seems you have a very very very limited understanding of the impact of raising minimum wage. I honestly think I should leave it at there is no point in debate on the issue with you as you seem content with your limited and incredibly wrong view of minimum wage.

Lol, I can’t even help but think how many jobs would disappear overnight and business’s that go under due to parole eclipsing their entire budget if you had your way. Of course I’m talking about small businesses, where 5 employee’s can run them 75k a year alone…

But as I said, what would be the point of debate... prices would only slightly increase right? lol, wow...

Years ago, Pizza Hut claimed that if they provided medical care for their employees that they'd have to raise the price of their pizzas by 50 cents each. All of my friends agreed that in return for more people having health insurance they'd be happy to pay an extra $.50 per pizza. Then a study was done showing Pizza Hut had greatly exaggerated the cost and it would have only raised the price of their pizzas by pennies. They still refused to do it. BTW, this was when mw had close to 1/3 more spending power. Greed is the only reason for the continued decrease in the power of mw.

Years ago, Pizza Hut claimed that if they provided medical care for their employees that they'd have to raise the price of their pizzas by 50 cents each. All of my friends agreed that in return for more people having health insurance they'd be happy to pay an extra $.50 per pizza. Then a study was done showing Pizza Hut had greatly exaggerated the cost and it would have only raised the price of their pizzas by pennies. They still refused to do it. BTW, this was when mw had close to 1/3 more spending power. Greed is the only reason for the continued decrease in the power of mw.

Next time you might want to try and read what I post. Pizza hut is not a "small business." Like I said, you very much support a huge corporation, you destroy the small business's, thus, your incredible lack of understanding of the issue.

Not to mention you're talking about HI and not minimum wage. Your study shows pennies of increased overhead costs for HI per employee, are you suggesting that min wage should only go up by pennies per employee?

So I'll go ahead and prove my point. Againsheila, what do you think minimum wage should "generally" be as of today. Just a guess so we can take this debate passed “blah blah blah” and so I can prove that you have no real interest in the true costs and impact of a wage increase. Lets says a states min wage is 8.00$ an hour as of today, where do you "feel" it should be around.

Last edited:

Next time you might want to try and read what I post. Pizza hut is not a "small business." Like I said, you very much support a huge corporation, you destroy the small business's, thus, your incredible lack of understanding of the issue.

Not to mention you're talking about HI and not minimum wage. Your study shows pennies of increased overhead costs for HI per employee, are you suggesting that min wage should only go up by pennies per employee?

So I'll go ahead and prove my point. Againsheila, what do you think minimum wage should "generally" be as of today. Just a guess so we can take this debate passed “blah blah blah” and so I can prove that you have no real interest in the true costs and impact of a wage increase. Lets says a states min wage is 8.00$ an hour as of today, where do you "feel" it should be around.

I've said this before but everyone ignores it and asks again and again and again. Minimum Wage at 40 hours per week should provide enough income for one person to provide an apartment with utilities, food, transportation and medical care with a little extra to pay for clothes and other necessities for himself. I do not think that is unreasonable. My brother, working a mw job back in 1969 was able to get his own apartment (granted he slept on the floor and had lawn furniture in his living room) he was able to buy a new car on payments and take college courses in the evenings. Today on mw, you can't even put a roof over your head. How can anyone get ahead if they can't even survive?

I've said this before but everyone ignores it and asks again and again and again. Minimum Wage at 40 hours per week should provide enough income for one person to provide an apartment with utilities, food, transportation and medical care with a little extra to pay for clothes and other necessities for himself. I do not think that is unreasonable. My brother, working a mw job back in 1969 was able to get his own apartment (granted he slept on the floor and had lawn furniture in his living room) he was able to buy a new car on payments and take college courses in the evenings. Today on mw, you can't even put a roof over your head. How can anyone get ahead if they can't even survive?

MW jobs are meant for entry job workers to establish a resume and a work ethic. It is to pay for car insurance and possibly prapare for college tuition in the future. It can be used for welfare work requirements. From there, a worker can go to cashiers in stores and restaurant help where they can earn tips and then factory work and vocational training. From the MW jobs any worker can decide their own path. The government has programs up the gazoo.

Last edited:

That was crystal clear in your earlier posts so i'm not sure who's ignoring it. That's fine to have that view. I think you're way too narrowly focused on the minimum wage earner only without too much regard to how it impact overall employment as well as wage of those above minimum wage.

MW jobs are meant for entry job workers to establish a resume and a work ethic.

I wouldn't call them "meant" for entry level workers. They're minimum wage jobs because they only require the most basic of skills, skills that most everyone has. They're easy to understand and perform in most circumstances and only require a small amount of training. As such, they're well filled by teenagers and indeed act as a springboard to better things, or at least that's the idea.

As our society becomes less manufacturing based and more information based, it's getting ever harder to make a good living simply by the sweat of your brow. You need to know something, more than the next guy, in order to make some good money.

If you raised the minimum wage enough to where anyone making it can afford housing, health care, furniture, clothes, etc, then there would be fewer, perhaps far less fewer minimum wage jobs available due to the rise in overhead.

So there is no debate because you won't give an answer as to what you think minimum wage should even be around.

One argument is that minimum wage can go up because such a low % of people are on it, but what people don't mention is the % of people very close to minimum wage.

Some issues you will run into is that if you bumped min wage up let’s say a full 2 dollars from the 8 dollar figure the ramifications are dramatic. Firstly the employer has to come up with the payroll and taxes for these employees, then there are the people that were once making 1 dollar over min wage that now got a raise. Next is that now at 10$ an hour that is the starting point, meaning when people want a raise it actually costs the employer far more.

Lets figure payroll without taxes for 8$ an hour and 5 employees full time for a small business no taxes.
8x40x4x12 = 15,360per employee. 15,360x5 = 76,800$ a year for 5 employee’s.
Now let’s figure a 2 dollar wage increase.
10x40x4x12 = 19,200per employee. 19,200x5 = 96,000 a year for 5 employee’s.

The difference is 19,200$ a year for the employer. Now, what if that employer was only making 70,000 a year for their self? 50,800$ is what the employer now makes, that’s far less to invest with, what if one year a recession happens and they lose 30% of their business?

The point I’m trying to make is already the employer either needs to fire 1 full time employee or raise their prices. The only other option is to pray to God that a recession does not hit like they do once every 10 years. We’re not even getting past payroll and already the UE rate will jump or prices will have to rise. All jobs are not created equal, by that I mean if a Person that speaks poor English, can’t spell and zero experience can walk on the job and do it *right*, it probably was not a job that deserved higher pay.

I believe you have a lot to think about when it comes to raising the min wage, I suggest you do some research and go into it without a bias point of view or the answer will only offend you.

If welfare, SS, Medicare Medicaid, min wage and unemployment were all such great programs then why do we have more people in poverty today than before these programs? Why is the middle class shrinking so quickly over so many years?

MW jobs are meant for entry job workers to establish a resume and a work ethic. It is to pay for car insurance and possibly prapare for college tuition in the future. It can be used for welfare work requirements. From there, a worker can go to cashiers in stores and restaurant help where they can earn tips and then factory work and vocational training. From the MW jobs any worker can decide their own path. The government has programs up the gazoo.

Who decided that mw jobs are "entry" jobs? When was that decided? Do you have any idea how many mw workers are not people who just entered the workforce? That they aren't living at home and going to high school?

That was crystal clear in your earlier posts so i'm not sure who's ignoring it. That's fine to have that view. I think you're way too narrowly focused on the minimum wage earner only without too much regard to how it impact overall employment as well as wage of those above minimum wage.

A rising tide raises all boats....

MW jobs are meant for entry job workers to establish a resume and a work ethic.

If you raised the minimum wage enough to where anyone making it can afford housing, health care, furniture, clothes, etc, then there would be fewer, perhaps far less fewer minimum wage jobs available due to the rise in overhead.

QFT.

Next people would elect politicians that would outlaw firing employee’s, then people could have riots if anyone ever tried to take away their welfare job.

Wonder if that has happened yet...... ...... .. . . . . . . . In another country =D

A rising tide raises all boats....

Correct, thus the raise in MW becomes pointless seeing as shortly after people will realize they are in the same boat.

In fact that’s not correct because that tide would sink a few boats (un-employe people)

Some issues you will run into is that if you bumped min wage up let’s say a full 2 dollars from the 8 dollar figure the ramifications are dramatic. Firstly the employer has to come up with the payroll and taxes for these employees, then there are the people that were once making 1 dollar over min wage that now got a raise.

I think it's even bigger than that. If i'm making $9 per hour right now with an $8 minimum wage rate, and the minimum wage is raised to $10, i'm not settling for $10: i want $11 now. It would apply for basically everyone on the payroll if they value themselves at some rate above what the minimum is. So, either bump them up, have them be disgruntled (and probably do a poor job as a result, or worse) or risk losing them to another place.

I said it before but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. If a small business owner has a job to offer at $6 per hour and someone wants to take it, it seems like a nice mutual agreement as the employee is under no obligation to take that job if they don't want to. They're more than welcome to seek out a job that pays more. And if they're worth it: they'll get it.

Forum List

Back