The Wussification of Society

Examples include:
  1. Removing most playground that’s any fun;
I grew up in 'Farm Land'
Cows, Corn, Wheat, and Hay.

A neighbor stacked their barn with hay, a normal occurrence.

When they stacked the hay, they built a MAZE, a one-way Maze with no escape except finding the end.
Multi-Level and many turns.
We did it and thought it was a blast.

Today, don't even think of it, as a LAWYER would be all over that shit as some kind of negligence lawsuit or any claim, even a claim of 'stress'

I’m not saying we should have no rules or regulations. But, some cost-benefit analysis please.
Well, that's the key, and that's what we just don't do.

Instead, we overcompensate. We over-react. We see a problem or an issue, and we take an entirely binary, myopic, egotistical approach to it. This is getting much worse now that the two ends of our political spectrum refuse to accurately understand the other and work together. So when one end gets power, its goal is to shove ITS one-sided methods down everyone's throat. That pisses everyone else off, and that end loses power.

If people don't have input, they have no skin in the game. If they have no skin in the game, they either don't care enough to support it or they will actively work to ruin it. Human nature. So all we see, predictably, is wild swings back and forth.

Addressing a real problem requires a thoughtful, reasoned, balanced approach. To your point, some cost-benefit analysis. But we just don't bother any more. "My way or the highway" doesn't work in an advanced, dynamic society. I don't know how we haven't figured that out yet.

Last edited:
What a crock of shit. One billion people a century or so ago, three billion 55 years ago and 8 billion today. Many live near some sort of coast. We build on barrier islands. On every square inch in many areas. We build in flood zones. A lot of them. We constantly encroach into wilderness/wooded areas and do not do proper forest management in much of it, particularly in Prog states. We waste humongous amounts of money on projects of corruption. Look at a high-resolution photo of Miami. From above. Any flooding issues is on them and how they built up that area. All ocean front areas need to be built on wisely and the structures need to withstand higher grade hurricanes. Flood zone structures may be needed for farming and industrial ways and building large tract housing may not be the smartest idea unless ways to reroute flooding is included. Tame mother nature where we can and build sensibly. To many Progs have oceanfront properties and they are still building.

Please don't get me started about the curse of suburban sprawl, crooked "Sprawl Barons" and backwater politicians who will rubber stamp any plans for any location for the appropriate bribe.

My grandfather owned about 1,200 acres of woodland on the James River in Virginia where my friends and I would go to swim, target shoot, camp out, pay poker etc.

When he died and his estate was liquidated, we were told that since about half of the property was in the 100 year flood plain and sold it "as is".

Years later it was sold to one of our local "Sprawl Barons" who bought the land, destroyed the woodland, bribed some of our Backwater Politicians and threw up hundreds of tacky McMansions on 1/4 acre lots right up to the river's edge where at least 100 McMansions will certainly be washed away within 10 years.

The Sprawl Baron got his money, the Backwater Kingpins (politicians) got their money and there are about 100 families who had better learn how to swim or tread water.

Thanks,

Screenshot_20240302_041522_9GAG.jpg

Our society has lost a good deal of its willingness to take risks over the years. Examples include:
  2. Requiring bicycle riders to wear helmets;
  3. Children don’t play outside, unsupervised anymore;
  4. Children get driven every where and don’t ride their bicycles;
  5. Cars have “passive restraints;” and
  6. We locked down society over what amounted, at worst, to be a bad flu.
The costs of this excessive caution cannot be overestimated. When I was growing up, where I played, how I played, how I got to leisure activities and the like were parental decisions. When I started bicycling at age seven, my range was restricted to my six-block “neighborhood” bounded by a secondary road. Later, when that road got a sidewalk, I was allowed to go about ½ mile to the boundary of another secondary road. Later, I could go outside those boundaries but only with another child.

“Pickup” baseball games started in late March, and soccer was the rule in the fall. Sledding and ice skating was the rule in winter. In fact, on December 2, 1967 I did fall through the ice, and was treading deep water. I was rescued, taken to the hospital and I’m still alive. I survived monkey bars and see-saws at a younger age. These days, my older son was one of the few that took the initiative to bike around, sometimes going about ten miles to one of his sets of grandparents. There was only one fall with a few scrapes.

Turning to adult pastimes, cars have been increasingly been put out of reach of mere mortals by “passive restraints” such as airbags, and other equipment that costs more than its worth to the average person. When it comes to the recent Covid “pandemic” society was locked down to no net benefit and egregious costs. The moneys saved could and should have been used to allow the vulnerable to be excused from work and having to go out.

Now, the government is getting ready to make heating and air conditioning, as well as travel more cumbersome. We live in a democratic society. Is this what we want?

I’m not saying we should have no rules or regulations. But, some cost-benefit analysis please.
You sound very old.

Our society has lost a good deal of its willingness to take risks over the years. Examples include:
The costs of this excessive caution cannot be overestimated. When I was growing up, where I played, how I played, how I got to leisure activities and the like were parental decisions. When I started bicycling at age seven, my range was restricted to my six-block “neighborhood” bounded by a secondary road. Later, when that road got a sidewalk, I was allowed to go about ½ mile to the boundary of another secondary road. Later, I could go outside those boundaries but only with another child.

“Pickup” baseball games started in late March, and soccer was the rule in the fall. Sledding and ice skating was the rule in winter. In fact, on December 2, 1967 I did fall through the ice, and was treading deep water. I was rescued, taken to the hospital and I’m still alive. I survived monkey bars and see-saws at a younger age. These days, my older son was one of the few that took the initiative to bike around, sometimes going about ten miles to one of his sets of grandparents. There was only one fall with a few scrapes.

Turning to adult pastimes, cars have been increasingly been put out of reach of mere mortals by “passive restraints” such as airbags, and other equipment that costs more than its worth to the average person. When it comes to the recent Covid “pandemic” society was locked down to no net benefit and egregious costs. The moneys saved could and should have been used to allow the vulnerable to be excused from work and having to go out.

Now, the government is getting ready to make heating and air conditioning, as well as travel more cumbersome. We live in a democratic society. Is this what we want?

Covid is far from just being "the flu", so you lost me there. I agree with everything else you said. As far as children being allowed to play alone unfortunately we have more pedo-pervs hunting for children today, than when I was a kid in the 1970s and early 80s (DOB Feb 73). I became a teen in the mid-late 1980s, so I remember how it was back then. We had to be careful then to, but we would play outside without a problem. We would walk to school, even as second and third graders.

Since 2014 over 3.5 million people graduated from law schools in the US.
What are half the ads on daytime TV or all day radio?

It's not government.

What are the costs of man-made carbon raising the earth's temperature. It's about $200 billion per year in floods, catastrophic storms and hurricanes, right now, and it rises every single year.

Thousands of Americans are now dying because of excessive heat in summer, wildfires, and other climate problems.

That's the cost/benefit analysis conservatives completely ignore.

There have always been floods, hurricanes, tornados you dumb OX. Difference nowdays is people have setup homes on the Coast or waterways. Chew on that Chewbaka.

Please don't get me started about the curse of suburban sprawl, crooked "Sprawl Barons" and backwater politicians who will rubber stamp any plans for any location for the appropriate bribe.

My grandfather owned about 1,200 acres of woodland on the James River in Virginia where my friends and I would go to swim, target shoot, camp out, pay poker etc.

When he died and his estate was liquidated, we were told that since about half of the property was in the 100 year flood plain and sold it "as is".

Years later it was sold to one of our local "Sprawl Barons" who bought the land, destroyed the woodland, bribed some of our Backwater Politicians and threw up hundreds of tacky McMansions on 1/4 acre lots right up to the river's edge where at least 100 McMansions will certainly be washed away within 10 years.

The Sprawl Baron got his money, the Backwater Kingpins (politicians) got their money and there are about 100 families who had better learn how to swim or tread water.

Thanks,

I was under the impression no one could simply build homes Willy-Nilly in Any State w/o GOVT approved “ZONING”. I would call BS on your story but I am no expert.

I can definitely empathize with the OP but some of these safety measures are good. Seatbelts and airbags saved me from going through the windshield. All I had was a minor scratch on the chin. I certainly agree with you that kids should be outside more. They all just stay locked in the house nowadays. I never came in until dinner was ready. I stayed out in the woods all the time. That was the 1980s before pedos, freaks lurked everywhere.

Last edited:
I was under the impression no one could simply build homes Willy-Nilly in Any State w/o GOVT approved “ZONING”. I would call BS on your story but I am no expert.

Certainly there are Zoning restrictions but they are not nearly as old and prevalent as Bribery and Corruption.

I'll be happy to give you directions to the property, show you evidence of earlier floods and let you see McMansions in the flood plain for yourself.

It's the lawyers fault, an army of 'em just waiting to sue your ass for anything and everything. There's more ads on TV for lawyers than beer for God's sake.

The other thing is, you can't speak your mind anymore without somebody trying to destroy your life. Better to keep your mouth shut and go along to get along. Useta be you could bitch about something and nobody cared. Now they do.

I agree with most of that, but I blame life in the Suburbs for it. Unless you are lucky enough live within walking or easy biking distance from a real PARK, kids cannot play unless they are driven there...which means the "play" will be organized by adults.

Also, parents are older when they have kids. A 23-year-old dad is still a kid himself, and will not be as conservative about play as a 40-year-old dad. Women play a large part, as well. If you wait until you are 35 to have your first kid, you are heavily vested in that kid and you want their lives to be perfect. The very thought of that kid being hurt is unthinkable.

Honestly, I'm a little nauseated when I see kids doing perfectly ordinary things wearing helmets and various kinds of "guards" to keep them from getting hurt. Some risks are worth taking.
We agree, except as stated below.
Much of safety ("passive restraints") is technical progress that harms nothing. The three-point seatbelt is a work of genius.
My Dad bought his '71 Mustang in May 1972, when he put me behind the wheel and, at 5mph or less, crashed into a telephone pole. Cost of car; about $2000. Inflation has raised that to around $10,000. Cars are a lot more expensive than that.

Personally, I can afford to buy a new car, which in a few years will be another Camry. With trade in it will set me back, and I'm guessing, $31,000. I can afford it. Not all can.

That, in a nutshell, is my reasoning. Airbags are not all of the increased costs but the "improvements" add up.

Edit/Delete Message

What are the costs of man-made carbon raising the earth's temperature. It's about $200 billion per year in floods, catastrophic storms and hurricanes, right now, and it rises every single year.

Thousands of Americans are now dying because of excessive heat in summer, wildfires, and other climate problems.

That's the cost/benefit analysis conservatives completely ignore.
If everyone (except Kerry) parked their cars and their private planes, it would not make a difference. Off topic though.

Good list, but can't let kids roam free anymore. Pedo dems will pick up, sodomize them and kill them. That's how the pedo dems roll.

twinks.jpg

If everyone (except Kerry) parked their cars and their private planes, it would not make a difference. Off topic though.

The problem with you clowns is that you're "all or nothing". Like the gun debate. Since there are still shootings and gun crime in countries where guns are strictly controlled, gun control doesn't work, and shouldn't be done.

You're the same way with reducing carbon. Every little bit helps, and if we all do a little bit, then it will add up to a lot.

The problem with you clowns is that you're "all or nothing". Like the gun debate. Since there are still shootings and gun crime in countries where guns are strictly controlled, gun control doesn't work, and shouldn't be done.

You're the same way with reducing carbon. Every little bit helps, and if we all do a little bit, then it will add up to a lot.
That is a naive Fourth Grade mind set. The amount of suffering if those are imposed, would be enormous.

Forum List

Back