How do you teach abstinence?

Kathianne said:
The administration has advocated teaching abstinence, as has the Congress. I find no funding, ie, another unfunded mandate. You have links for the tax dollars pouring in?

Sorry, I thought it was....at least the "Faith Based Initiatives" were adequately funded...

...so abstinence education is on the same shelf as "No Child Left Behind"??
...I'm not surprised...

cgd75 said:
so, the consensus here looks like, to me, that you CANNOT teach abstinence.

Yet, this administration has poured in tax dollars HAND OVER FIST, for abstinence education.

:dunno:

I just read the whole thread, and I did not see any such consensus. If there is consensus, it is that parents shouldn't wait for the schools to teach abstinence to their kids; that parents need to start the teaching process themselves when the kids are young. Not that the schools can't do it. Abstinence-ed groups, btw, were a response by parents to the way some schools were handling sex ed- condom handouts, etc.

My opinion, and my practice with my own child was not to focus specifically on the sex/no sex issue. Somewhat akin to what Nienna was saying, I started putting the idea in her head early on that it is very important to have the respect of others, and people who let us others use them quickly lose respect. Self-respect plummets as well; a vicous cycle. This can happen from sexual activity at a young age, and from other risky behaviors as well.

All that, added to our hopefully being an example ourselves as married and faithful to each other, Christian values learned at Church, and someone being home after school to show we are totally in her life, is our particular four-pronged approach.

None of which guarantees anything. But I need to know that I acted responsibly as a parent and did everything I could to send her on a path where she values herself, and sees the big picture- including how her future could be much, much tougher if she makes bad choices.

I would never leave such sensitive topics to the schools to handle all alone. Often, these are taught by a health/phys ed teacher who can even be, as was the case for our daughter, also an assistant football coach. But if the whole topic of sex is to be discussed, you'd better believe I want abstinence presented front and center (so to speak).

Abbey Normal said:
All that, added to our hopefully being an example ourselves as married and faithful to each other, Christian values learned at Church, and someone being home after school to show we are totally in her life, is our particular four-pronged approach........
None of which guarantees anything. But I need to know that I acted responsibly as a parent and did everything I could to send her on a path where she values herself,.....
I would never leave such sensitive topics to the schools to handle all alone.
Go Abbey, Go Abbbey, Go Abbey........
:thewave: :thewave:

cgd75 said:

Yet, this administration has poured in tax dollars HAND OVER FIST, for abstinence education.

abstinence is teachable

the admistration has not poured one dime into any such program

i would go ask for your money back on your education

cgd75 said:

The ratio of money spent on abstinence-only ed to "comprehensive" sex ed is small. What would you rather they teach kids... to respect themselves, to respect others, and to avoid the risks of sex, or that they are doomed to doing it, anyway, so here's a condom, and let us show you how to put it on?

I have a question.

As adults/parents, has your views on sexual activity changed than what it was when you were a teen? I'm sure as parents you now see what yours was talking about as you do not want your teens doing this.

I have a young man asking the question about sex before marriage on my wedding board. I said what I always say. And I've talked to him about this before, elsewhere. But he wants opinions. I'd like to be able to tell him a man's.
Care to help this kid out?

liberalogic said:
I was just curious as to how we go about teaching abstinence in school? Other than don't do it because of pregnancy and STDs, what else is there to constitute an educational program based on this ideal? I'm just looking for suggestions if anyone has something to offer.
You introduce kids to Star Trek, Magic the Gathering and XBox. Abstinence will pretty much come naturally after that. Haha! :laugh:

I didn't start this thread to promote abstinence only teaching. As I've made very clear, I support teaching abstinence in conjunction with safe sex. But I've always been curious as to how a sex ed class could solely revolve around abstinence or even how it should be taught side by side with safe sex.

Some good points, and I specifically like those who bring in the emotional factor. If kids can realize the difference between true passion and the superficial demands of society, that would definitely increase the practice of abstinence. Girls should know that they are often duped and guys should realize that half of their bragging friends are just inventing stuff to appear cool.

In no way should the school make it a moral decision-- that's up to the parents. But they should present it as it is including both the physical and emotional consequences.

Does anyone think that the school should teach different forms of masturbation in addition to what I've mentioned? If the kids can keep themselves happy, this may reduce the urge to engage in sex.

liberalogic said:
Does anyone think that the school should teach different forms of masturbation in addition to what I've mentioned? If the kids can keep themselves happy, this may reduce the urge to engage in sex.

How would that be done?

liberalogic said:
I didn't start this thread to promote abstinence only teaching. As I've made very clear, I support teaching abstinence in conjunction with safe sex. But I've always been curious as to how a sex ed class could solely revolve around abstinence or even how it should be taught side by side with safe sex.

Some good points, and I specifically like those who bring in the emotional factor. If kids can realize the difference between true passion and the superficial demands of society, that would definitely increase the practice of abstinence. Girls should know that they are often duped and guys should realize that half of their bragging friends are just inventing stuff to appear cool.

In no way should the school make it a moral decision-- that's up to the parents. But they should present it as it is including both the physical and emotional consequences.

no --however masturbation should be presented at least in a neutral vein as opposed to a disgusting, embarassing practice. No need to teach them methods--they know them already.

Are there subjects better taught in the home rather than in a school environment?

I really do not believe anyone should be under the impression that public school can be all encompassing with life's learning needs.

MtnBiker said:
Are there subjects better taught in the home rather than in a school environment?

I really do not believe anyone should be under the impression that public school can be all encompassing with life's learning needs.

Agreed but as long as they insist on teaching it at least they can try to get it right.Let's face it--kids don't get everything they know from home OR school.No need to demonize mastubation in either "classroom" IMHO.

dilloduck said:
Agreed but as long as they insist on teaching it at least they can try to get it right.Let's face it--kids don't get everything they know from home OR school.No need to demonize mastubation in either "classroom" IMHO.

Nicely put. Masturbation is a part of sexual development and it need not be demonized. I may be taking it a bit too far with the techniques, but I'm just throwing it out there.

MtnBiker said:

The parents aren't always going to approach this topic or sexuality in general. Would you rather the kids get the info through a legitimate, impartial source, or MTV?

liberalogic said:
Nicely put. Masturbation is a part of sexual development and it need not be demonized. I may be taking it a bit too far with the techniques, but I'm just throwing it out there.

I naturally can only speak from a man's perspective on this issue tho. Female masturbation may not be a form of " release " of sexual pressure like it is in a male.

What about other topics beyond sexuality?

Money management, work ethics, simple subjects like laundry and cooking?

Should these topics and more, be the resposibility of public schools as well?

Forum List

Back