Homeless Ohioans for Obama registering in droves;

I am the first to agree with you that people do much more whining about things than trying to fix them.

But I don't agree with anything that restricts legitimate citizens from voting. I've done a lot of door to door voter registration and I think it is wrong to have laws which exclude any citizen from voting because of lack of ID. I've lived in a country where you could be taken to jail for not carrying a government santioned ID on you and that type of laws is often used to harrass and intimidate people.

In my city you can be taken in if you don't have an ID, so they can check you against the wanted posters to make sure you don't have a warrant. Also, any legitimate citizen CAN get an ID, the mailing address is a requirement for said ID, and again, the Post Office has a system that some rich group paid for so anyone making less than a certain income can get a P.O. Box for free, that works as a mailing address for almost everything.

You don't need a *house* to vote. You need a verifiable address and a photo ID; both of which are obtainable if you REALLY want to vote. And if you're going to expend that kind of energy just to vote, imagine what you can accomplish if you expend a little more.

IDs cost money. Some people don't have that.

In my city you can be taken in if you don't have an ID, so they can check you against the wanted posters to make sure you don't have a warrant. Also, any legitimate citizen CAN get an ID, the mailing address is a requirement for said ID, and again, the Post Office has a system that some rich group paid for so anyone making less than a certain income can get a P.O. Box for free, that works as a mailing address for almost everything.

Can you be prosecuted in your city for not carrying ID? Are photo IDs provided to all citizens free of charge?

Paying the $15 for an ID isn't hard to do. I got my first while being homeless through a church, and I am openly pagan, but they still gave me the voucher for it. If there is a will, there is ALWAYS a way.

That was the republicans that did that. The democrats just skirt issues most of the time.

Republicans? In the South, it's always been the Democrats who have done this. In fact, since it was done so often, it's become legendary. It's been a long time since I've lived in Seattle, so perhaps it's happening there now.

I am the first to agree with you that people do much more whining about things than trying to fix them.

But I don't agree with anything that restricts legitimate citizens from voting. I've done a lot of door to door voter registration and I think it is wrong to have laws which exclude any citizen from voting because of lack of ID. I've lived in a country where you could be taken to jail for not carrying a government santioned ID on you and that type of laws is often used to harrass and intimidate people.

And unfortunately, that type of lax attitude is part of what's responsible for things being screwed up so bad. I say the more legitimate we can make it, the better. It's sad that it has to be that way, but it just does. There is no other way. Allowing people to exist on their own merit and morals is simply a crock. (No, Im not trying to kill them off - exist is just what popped into my pounding head first)

Republicans? In the South, it's always been the Democrats who have done this. In fact, since it was done so often, it's become legendary. It's been a long time since I've lived in Seattle, so perhaps it's happening there now.

Well, maybe I have the names mixed up, just know that neither side it clean.

Paying the $15 for an ID isn't hard to do. I got my first while being homeless through a church, and I am openly pagan, but they still gave me the voucher for it. If there is a will, there is ALWAYS a way.

I can't tell from your post if you paid for your ID or the voucher paid for it. But requiring people to carry IDs that are not provided free of charge is in essence a poll tax.

Forum List

Back