Homeless Ohioans for Obama registering in droves;

The attitude that some citizens do not deserve to vote because of their economic status is a very dangerous one, IMO. It's a step towards creating a second class of citizen. That seems to me totally contrary to the ideals of American democracy.

Anyone can get an ID and an address to use to vote. It has nothing to do with one's economic status.

That's the thing. People forget that but by the grace of God ....

The grace of God? There's always something someone can do to change their situation if they have the will and determination. Even something as simple as moving in to a homeless shelter and taking a job at McDonalds while getting a free education...

Oh, and for those who are saying the current system of requiring ID's hurts the homeless, get a life, I was homeless for several years (long and boring story) and I was registered, not sleeping on a friends couch either, in an actual shelter. If there is a will there is a way.

This one.

The grace of God? There's always something someone can do to change their situation if they have the will and determination. Even something as simple as moving in to a homeless shelter and taking a job at McDonalds while getting a free education...

I am living proof. Was working for labor jobs, became homeless because I wouldn't sleep with the fuck that I was renting a room from. Lost my job, stuck on the streets. Got into a shelter, got an address through a mail center, then got disability. Got a laptop, eventually housing, started writing code ... now here I am today. Working as a freelance programmer.

Oh, and let me add my best friends story, I met her in the same shelter. She is now a social worker.

Last edited:

I don't think you understand the meaning of the expression, "but for the grace of God, there go I". Being an atheist, I only mean it figuratively.
It means don't be so quick to judge other people who have met with unfortunate circumstances and don't be so smug about your own good fortune because as much as you may like claiming you earned it all on your own, luck was part of it and luck could take it away.

I don't think you understand the meaning of the expression, "but for the grace of God, there go I". Being an atheist, I only mean it figuratively.
It means don't be so quick to judge other people who have met with unfortunate circumstances and don't be so smug about your own good fortune because as much as you may like claiming you earned it all on your own, luck was part of it and luck could take it away.

Shattered isn't judging, she is using logic on this.

i always have

Then I want my votes..

There's the nice me..
There's the "calculating bitch" me..
There's the unsympathetic me..
There's the intolerant me..

Did I miss anything?

I am living proof. Was working for labor jobs, became homeless because I wouldn't sleep with the fuck that I was renting a room from. Lost my job, stuck on the streets. Got into a shelter, got an address through a mail center, then got disability. Got a laptop, eventually housing, started writing code ... now here I am today. Working as a freelance programmer.

Oh, and let me add my best friends story, I met her in the same shelter. She is now a social worker.

That's a great story and it illustrates why people are not necessarily a drain on tax payers and therefore undeserving of a say in how the country is run just because they can't afford housing.

That's a great story and it illustrates why people are not necessarily a drain on tax payers and therefore undeserving of a say in how the country is run just because they can't afford housing.

And as it points out, being homeless did NOT stop me from registering nor getting an address or ID.

Im not judging anyone. I'm simply saying that nobody ever exhausts ALL their possibilities.. It's much easier to give up and whine about the system being unfair, which a large majority of people do, than to actually get off your ass, make yourself miserable for awhile, and get out of that situation.

You don't need a *house* to vote. You need a verifiable address and a photo ID; both of which are obtainable if you REALLY want to vote. And if you're going to expend that kind of energy just to vote, imagine what you can accomplish if you expend a little more.

Im not judging anyone. I'm simply saying that nobody ever exhausts ALL their possibilities.. It's much easier to give up and whine about the system being unfair, which a large majority of people do, than to actually get off your ass, make yourself miserable for awhile, and get out of that situation.

And do we REALLY want those who give up altogether a chance to effect our government? I know I don't, I know those type of people, and they don't really care about anything.

And as it points out, being homeless did NOT stop me from registering nor getting an address or ID.

But it doesn't point out how your situation applies to every homeless person in the US. Nor does it justify denying a citizen the right to vote.

During the 60s when blacks in some Southern states went to vote for the first times in their lives, they were prevented from doing so by laws set up specifically to prevent them from voting by making similar restrictions.

I am the first to agree with you that people do much more whining about things than trying to fix them.

But I don't agree with anything that restricts legitimate citizens from voting. I've done a lot of door to door voter registration and I think it is wrong to have laws which exclude any citizen from voting because of lack of ID. I've lived in a country where you could be taken to jail for not carrying a government santioned ID on you and that type of laws is often used to harrass and intimidate people.

And do we REALLY want those who give up altogether a chance to effect our government? I know I don't, I know those type of people, and they don't really care about anything.

Just because these people don't agree with your opinions on our government, they shouldn't have the right to vote?

Forum List

Back