High Schools Failing to Prepare Students for College

It is a sad statement that our public education has deteriorated to the point that millions of families have resorted to homeschooling.

Teachers having to become disciplinarians instead of educators... How can a teacher teach in an environment where the children do not behave and do not listen? I have a friend who is a teacher in the 2nd grade in a p.s. and she tells me that the parents in her district do not care. They don't even sign and send back the permission slips so that his/her child can go on a field trip. Not to even mention the bureaucracy. Most teachers I know hate their job.

I think there needs to be a complete overhaul and Florida mandating virtual schools is a start. Let there be all types of schooling -- virtual schools, private schools, charter schoolers, homeschooling. Give parents choices. Let's not keep putting money into a failed system.
teachers have promoted what they deal with in their class...I have no sympathy for them.....

1. The educrats who have taken control of 'education' are not the teachers, they are Liberals/Leftists who control the teachers with huge pay increases, and parents by putting little Johnny on a pedestal no matter his work nor his behavior.

2. With no other option for teaching....what should they do.

3. To see what controls the profession, take a gander at this:

"The California Federation of Teachers (CFT) passed a resolution at its most recent convention claiming that “the continued unjust incarceration of Mumia Abu-Jamal represents a threat to the civil rights of all people.” Thirty years ago, Abu-Jamal took away Philadelphia policeman Daniel Faulkner’s foremost civil right: his life. How obtuse of the CFT to disregard “the threat to the civil rights of all people” represented by someone capable of gunning down a man tasked with protecting the public.

The pantheon of leftist saints includes the Haymarket Square bombers, responsible for the deaths of eight Chicago cops, Joe Hill, murderer of former police officer John Morrison in Salt Lake City, Huey Newton, murderer of Oakland policeman John Frey, and Leonard Peltier, murderer of FBI agents Jack Coler and Ronald Williams. Notice a pattern?"
Teachers' Mumia Abu-Jamal Resolution Out of Sync Morally and Historically | Human Events

4. If there were voucher and a robust alternative system for teachers and for parents, thing would be different.

5. I have a number of friends who teach in the public schools, and feel as we do.
And I do have sympathy for them.
My mom was dealing with this in the 60's. Parents were very involved in local politics, she even had a teacher friend of hers brag to her on how they were reshaping students minds to discard parental influence......

It is a sad statement that our public education has deteriorated to the point that millions of families have resorted to homeschooling.

Teachers having to become disciplinarians instead of educators... How can a teacher teach in an environment where the children do not behave and do not listen? I have a friend who is a teacher in the 2nd grade in a p.s. and she tells me that the parents in her district do not care. They don't even sign and send back the permission slips so that his/her child can go on a field trip. Not to even mention the bureaucracy. Most teachers I know hate their job.

I think there needs to be a complete overhaul and Florida mandating virtual schools is a start. Let there be all types of schooling -- virtual schools, private schools, charter schoolers, homeschooling. Give parents choices. Let's not keep putting money into a failed system.
teachers have promoted what they deal with in their class...I have no sympathy for them.....

1. The educrats who have taken control of 'education' are not the teachers, they are Liberals/Leftists who control the teachers with huge pay increases, and parents by putting little Johnny on a pedestal no matter his work nor his behavior.

"The California Federation of Teachers (CFT) passed a resolution at its most recent convention claiming that “the continued unjust incarceration of Mumia Abu-Jamal represents a threat to the civil rights of all people.” Thirty years ago, Abu-Jamal took away Philadelphia policeman Daniel Faulkner’s foremost civil right: his life. How obtuse of the CFT to disregard “the threat to the civil rights of all people” represented by someone capable of gunning down a man tasked with protecting the public.

The pantheon of leftist saints includes the Haymarket Square bombers, responsible for the deaths of eight Chicago cops, Joe Hill, murderer of former police officer John Morrison in Salt Lake City, Huey Newton, murderer of Oakland policeman John Frey, and Leonard Peltier, murderer of FBI agents Jack Coler and Ronald Williams. Notice a pattern?"
Teachers' Mumia Abu-Jamal Resolution Out of Sync Morally and Historically | Human Events

4. If there were voucher and a robust alternative system for teachers and for parents, thing would be different.

5. I have a number of friends who teach in the public schools, and feel as we do.
My mom was dealing with this in the 60's. Parents were very involved in local politics, she even had a teacher friend of hers brag to her on how they were reshaping students minds to discard parental influence......

"...a teacher friend of hers brag to her on how they were reshaping students minds to discard parental influence....."

There is no doubt that this has always been the view of Progressives.

This can be seen in Woodrow Wilson’s speech as president of Princeton: “Our problem is not merely to help students to adjust to themselves to world life…[but] to make them as unlike their fathers as we can.” (Michael McGerr, “A Fierce Discontent: The Rise and Fall of the Progressive Movement in America, 1870-1920,” p. 111

Same from Obama:

"U.S. President Barack Obama gives the commencement address to the graduating class of The Ohio State University at Ohio Stadium on May 5, 2013 in Columbus, Ohio.

PRESIDENT OBAMA: Unfortunately, you've grown up hearing voices that incessantly warn of government as nothing more than some separate, sinister entity that's at the root of all our problems. Some of these same voices also do their best to gum up the works. They'll warn that tyranny always lurking just around the corner. You should reject these voices. Because what they suggest is that our brave, and creative, and unique experiment in self-rule is somehow just a sham with which we can't be trusted."
Obama To Grads: Reject Voices That Warn About Government Tyranny

Teachers do not control that process. Social promotion is an administrator function in almost every school district. I am currently failing about 20% of my students for their laziness.

That was nearly 60 years ago. Parents have no influence with some of their spawn, but it is their poor parenting that is to blame.

teachers are given little or no methods to control a class....you are 2nd guessed by the admin then if the parents come and say little sallie is sorry....note the parents not the student then they are put back in the class...and heaven forbid they be a star football player who cannot read nor write but can run a football...heaven forbid you fail that student.

Bet your ass.

I was out of the running for a very good full time post because I refused to pass a kid who couldn't READ but who could stuff a basketball though a hoop, once.

Sports are part of the problem of why our schools are failing, now, folks.

Football in particular has problem done more to destroy history education (at one point 50% of a high school football coaches were history teachers..mostly those coach/teachers suck at the teaching part of their jobs) than any other sport, but they're ALL a menace to education in my opinion.
Football coaches teach academic courses in off season and schedules are arranged so that the players will take a course with a coach-teacher. The athletic department runs many high schools.

teachers are given little or no methods to control a class....you are 2nd guessed by the admin then if the parents come and say little sallie is sorry....note the parents not the student then they are put back in the class...and heaven forbid they be a star football player who cannot read nor write but can run a football...heaven forbid you fail that student.

Bet your ass.

I was out of the running for a very good full time post because I refused to pass a kid who couldn't READ but who could stuff a basketball though a hoop, once.

Football in particular has problem done more to destroy history education (at one point 50% of a high school football coaches were history teachers..mostly those coach/teachers suck at the teaching part of their jobs) than any other sport, but they're ALL a menace to education in my opinion.
Football coaches teach academic courses in off season and schedules are arranged so that the players will take a course with a coach-teacher. The athletic department runs many high schools.

Prove it.

Bet your ass.

Football coaches in my schools for the past 20 years have always taught academic classes all year long. Our current football coach teaches in another school in the district. Our athletic director is retired from teaching. The basketball coach teaches world history. The baseball coach is a business teacher. The girl's basketball coach is a female teacher of agriculture, The girl's softball coach is a female teacher of special education math. Our academic team is coached by two history teachers.

Those examples alone fly in the face of your assertion.

Self-selection bias is a term I am certain you are unfamiliar with. Your record is simply one of failure to understand that comparing a small number of home-schoolers as being a homogeneous group when compared to public school student is simply invalid.

I suggest a college level statistics course. I teach math every day. What is your excuse?

I went to war with the school district over what was at the time this standard material - TERC Hands-On Math: The Truth is in the Details: An Analysis of The First Edition of TERC's Investigations

They're changing the language of mathematics, so it's no wonder kids hit a brick wall as soon as they enter High School.

A year later, they weren't caving in, so I went the private school route with mine own. He's got a A in statistics now in his senior year of college. lol.

Last edited:
This shouldn't surprise anyone but I thought I would post it anyway. Public schools are failing miserably in this country.

Ohio.com - Colleges are spending billions on freshman remedial classes

We need to get the federal government out of education. It lacks any constitutional authority to be involved in education in the first place.

The fact that the federal government is involved with it is why it is a complete failure. It's why American students rank so low across the board compared with students of other nations.

Republicans used to run on abolishing the federal department of education. That's back when conservatism still had a miniscule bit of meaning left, but those days are gone, now conservatism is just a catch phrase it seems.

Bet your ass.

Another school myth comes to light!

Class assignments are done by computer so none of that bullshit you just claimed can happen. I coached for 7 years as a math and social studies teacher. I never had more than one or two of my 70+ athletes in my class in any year.

I taught in 7 different middle and high schools. None of that was true in any of them. Why? Because it would make the students ineligible to play if they were placed in a coach's class with that specific intent.

This shouldn't surprise anyone but I thought I would post it anyway. Public schools are failing miserably in this country.

Ohio.com - Colleges are spending billions on freshman remedial classes

I went to both private and public schools.

And the worst private school was at least about a hundred times better than the best public school.

Like most things the government does...the public education system is pathetic.

The reason is simple: private institutions usually depend on customer satisfaction.
Whereas public institutions could care less about customer satisfaction (especially when they have a monopoly). If customers are unhappy - they have no choice and must use the government institution.
And even when government institutions don't have a monopoly, the employees still don't need to care much about customer satisfaction as their jobs are basically guaranteed. So long as they follow the rules and don't do anything horrific...they have virtual jobs for life. They are discouraged from independent thinking and encouraged to just 'follow procedures'...no matter what.
This should be obvious to anyone who has visited a DMV. The employees there often seem like emotionless robots OR condescending mini-Mussolini's - relishing their tiny amount of power.

Bet your ass.

This is complete BS.

Another thing to consider in regards to High School preparing students for college is that most students do not need to go to College. Take a look at the following graph. It shows that more and more students are going to college, except the increase in not surprisingly in un-needed areas. If every single student goes to college, the areas with the largest increase will be in fluff subjects. Public schools have a ridiculous number of faculty and no discipline.

upload_2018-12-14_17-42-28.png

upload_2018-12-14_17-43-36.png

Another thing to consider in regards to High School preparing students for college is that most students do not need to go to College. Take a look at the following graph. It shows that more and more students are going to college, except the increase in not surprisingly in un-needed areas. If every single student goes to college, the areas with the largest increase will be in fluff subjects. Public schools have a ridiculous number of faculty and no discipline.

View attachment 234712

View attachment 234713

You were doing fine until you got to the last sentence, then you went off the rails!

View attachment 234712

View attachment 234713

You were doing fine until you got to the last sentence, then you went off the rails!

"Why So Many Non-Teaching Employees in Pittsburgh Schools? - Allegheny Institute for Public Policy"

"All told, the ratio of administrative employees to students more than doubled over the decade."

All they need are teachers and a principal for occasional beatings.

View attachment 234712

View attachment 234713

"Why So Many Non-Teaching Employees in Pittsburgh Schools? - Allegheny Institute for Public Policy"

"All told, the ratio of administrative employees to students more than doubled over the decade."

You are having terminology issues.

You said "schools" and "faculty". Most of the people mentioned in your linked article are NOT faculty in any way, shape, or form! Many administrators and clerical personnel are employed by the school districts, and have no connection to the schools.

Corporal punishment in schools is long dead.

View attachment 234712

View attachment 234713

You said "schools" and "faculty". Most of the people mentioned in your linked article are NOT faculty in any way, shape, or form! Many administrators and clerical personnel are employed by the school districts, and have no connection to the schools.

Call them faculty or employees or servants if you like. They are an expense.

View attachment 234712

View attachment 234713

Call them faculty or employees or servants if you like. They are an expense.

These people are brought about by the additional accountability laws passed by state legislators mostly. Tell your elected officials to cut the requirements and the number of people required will be smaller.

Forum List

Back