High Schools Failing to Prepare Students for College

SOME public schools are failing.

Others are doing superb jobs.

Statistically speaking, the wealthier the community students are drawn from, the more likely the kids are to get a superior education.

There are exceptions, of couse, but that's, generally speaking, the way it is in America.

And that's NOT all just because of the money invested in their edcuations, either. (although it certainly can't be entire ignored)

The fact is if you go to a school where the average kid is poor, even if you are a motivated student, it can be very difficult to get a decent education.

The staff are busy dealing with kids who don't care, and often the educators are simply weary of being turned into prison guards and nursemaids, and not longer really able to teach in that environment.

They develop the educator's equivalent of compassion fatigue, I think.

When I taught I used to throw disruptive kids out of class just to make it possible for my kids who were interested to carry on.

Eventually, of course, the administration forced me to stop that editecian triage system of educating, and then the whole damned class could be totally disrupted by one genuine asshole or the other.

teachers are given little or no methods to control a class....you are 2nd guessed by the admin then if the parents come and say little sallie is sorry....note the parents not the student then they are put back in the class...and heaven forbid they be a star football player who cannot read nor write but can run a football...heaven forbid you fail that student.

You don't really believe that anyone who was an "A" student needed remedial English, do you?

Schools are doing better in NY. Maybe Ohio should learn from us.

remedial English? Maybe, maybe not....

more than likely they need remedial algebra or some other math subject...

teachers are given little or no methods to control a class....you are 2nd guessed by the admin then if the parents come and say little sallie is sorry....note the parents not the student then they are put back in the class...and heaven forbid they be a star football player who cannot read nor write but can run a football...heaven forbid you fail that student.

But their self esteem kicks ass I bet ! !!!

remedial English? Maybe, maybe not....

more than likely they need remedial algebra or some other math subject...

That might be true.

I hope one would have to be up to snuff to be an "A" student, even in math or science, but I guess that would depend on the curriculum. Kind of illustrates the benefits of "teaching to the test" like they do here. Of course, there is a downside to that type of curriculum,too.

if you want your kids to get a decent education, home school them.

"Even with a conservative analysis of the data, the achievement levels of the homeschool students in the study were exceptional. Within each grade level and each skill area, the median scores for homeschool students fell between the 70th and 80th percentile of students nationwide and between the 60th and 70th percentile of Catholic/Private school students. For younger students, this is a one year lead. By the time homeschool students are in 8th grade, they are four years ahead of their public/private school counterparts."

Editec I couldn't agree with you more. I graduated high school 4 years ago with mostly all A's and B's. I went to college and in english class I wrote a paper and the professor said she couldn't believe how stupid the class was at grammar. I literally had to go and teach my self English. I then realized I never wrote one essay in my 4 years of high school.

I would agree with Editec that the problem is disruptive kids left in class. If a child doesn't want to be in school let him join the work force, or send him to a vocational school. The disruptive students distract the children who really want learn. They tend to be the bullies and physically harm other students. It would save more money for education. We really need to leave this kids behind.

You'd be surprised at how easy it is to get A's in school.

Unfortunately, you don't have to know anything to get A's in school. I'm stunned more and more every day.. I have kids from the ages of 18-25 working for me, and it amazes me they can't do simple math, and get totally confused even with a calculator at their disposal.

Charles Murray is right: only about 20 percent of the people now in American colleges actually deserve to be getting higher education. I don't know if I'd cut it off there right now... maybe 50 percent. But you've got all these folks who would be much better off in tech school or vo-tech getting force-fed French feminism. It's ridiculous. A college degree has almost negative value in our society today. It's massively inflated currency. Today, to distinguish yourself, you pretty much need 2 PhD's, a JD and an MD.

Are the charter and private schools doing that much better?

They do around here. They are the children that excel. The local school can't compare to the charters. I have 2 of my children attending one an hope to have the other two in very soon. The waiting lists at all of the charters are extremely long. Thankfully there's sibling priority when there's an opening.

As for private... One of the best in the world isn't far from me.

portland waldorf school

if you want your kids to get a decent education, home school them.

"Even with a conservative analysis of the data, the achievement levels of the homeschool students in the study were exceptional. Within each grade level and each skill area, the median scores for homeschool students fell between the 70th and 80th percentile of students nationwide and between the 60th and 70th percentile of Catholic/Private school students. For younger students, this is a one year lead. By the time homeschool students are in 8th grade, they are four years ahead of their public/private school counterparts."
yeah so they can be socially out of touch!

Bet your ass.

I was out of the running for a very good full time post because I refused to pass a kid who couldn't READ but who could stuff a basketball though a hoop, once.

Sports are part of the problem of why our schools are failing, now, folks.

Football in particular has problem done more to destroy history education (at one point 50% of a high school football coaches were history teachers..mostly those coach/teachers suck at the teaching part of their jobs) than any other sport, but they're ALL a menace to education in my opinion.

Forum List

Back